E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - retrofit paddle shifters

02-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #177
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Could use some help if anyone got time:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586267

Basically trying to put a complete 335 LCI paddle steering wheel on a 2011 e90 328i LCI car (not originally equipped with paddles). Just wondering if I use the BMS adapter harness that I need to do the LCI paddle resistor removal, or if it will work because the car itself is an LCI? (and do you just pull with pliers and then have to solder?)

Or conversely, would the controller button they recommend just work for the LCI paddles as well?

EDIT: Yes, you still need to do the LCI resistor mod on an LCI vehicle.

Last edited by bluewater328; 03-05-2019 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #178
AnduXWX
Andu
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330xD

Hi.
I have a problem.
I bought a steering wheel with paddles and trim with controls.
It has all 6 wires in the steering socket. I must make some changes here ?
Under the steering wheel also i have the yellow wires, 2 and 4. I cut these two yellow wires and put the wires to gearbox.
No result. The paddles didnt work. Any ideas? The car is a 330xd lci
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:18 AM   #179
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnduXWX View Post
Hi.
I have a problem.
I bought a steering wheel with paddles and trim with controls.
It has all 6 wires in the steering socket. I must make some changes here ?
Under the steering wheel also i have the yellow wires, 2 and 4. I cut these two yellow wires and put the wires to gearbox.
No result. The paddles didnt work. Any ideas? The car is a 330xd lci
Thanks
First off, what sort of wheel did you buy? I'm assuming what you describe was a whole steering wheel (vs parts put together). Was it one with LCI paddles? You may have to do a further mod to resistors.

But that aside, $99 will plug-n-play solve the rest of your woes if you dont figure this out on the hard side.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:36 AM   #180
MarciusB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d AT E90 TiAg

Garage List
Note for anyone doing this DIY. Where ever you read that it does not matter how you connect your 2 new wires. It is not true. It matters because it changes the way how the shifter works. I mean originally it upshifts when you pull, downshifts when you push away the shifter (pre-lci). If you change the 2 new wires they will work in the opposite way, as in downshift, when pulling towards yourself. For normal operation (as original) I recommend connecting the #2 pin from shifter to pin #4 in the plug that connects to slipring. While pin #3 from shifter to pin #2 in the slipring plug. I hope I remember this correctly.
If anyone is interested. Mine is 2006 330d and it does not shift in D (only in DS/M) using this mod.
Good luck everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:15 AM   #181
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciusB View Post
Note for anyone doing this DIY. Where ever you read that it does not matter how you connect your 2 new wires. It is not true. It matters because it changes the way how the shifter works. I mean originally it upshifts when you pull, downshifts when you push away the shifter (pre-lci). If you change the 2 new wires they will work in the opposite way, as in downshift, when pulling towards yourself. For normal operation (as original) I recommend connecting the #2 pin from shifter to pin #4 in the plug that connects to slipring. While pin #3 from shifter to pin #2 in the slipring plug. I hope I remember this correctly.
If anyone is interested. Mine is 2006 330d and it does not shift in D (only in DS/M) using this mod.
Good luck everyone.
Well for reference, on my non-diesel (thought I'm not sure that really matters) if I shift in D, the auto mode D will take over after a little while of no active shifting.

In DS you have the M1-6 manual shifting. But if I'm being honest, the auto wont let you destroy your tranny/engine too much: will shift up if you down shift too many times to create redline revs; will downshift to M2 as you come to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #182
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

About to tackle this in the next few days.
My car is 2011 E90 (LCI) came with standard steering wheel.
Managed to find a sport steering wheel with SSG paddles (chrome ones) though the donor car is an LCI?! I though LCI cars that have the sport wheel come with DCT type!

So confusing. Will see what I end up with.

Last edited by gamesfrager; 04-18-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:15 AM   #183
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
About to tackle this in the next few days.
My car is 2011 E90 (LCI) came with standard steering wheel.
Managed to find a spory steering wheel with SSG paddles (chrome ones) though the donor car is an LCI?! I though LCI cars that have the sport wheel come with DCT type!

So confusing. Will see what I end up with.
DCT is for cars with that gearbox. At least that was the original distinction.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #184
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

I'm probably mixing terminologies here, sorry about that.

What I mean is I though LCI paddles are the black ones with + and - not the chrome ones. And the chrome ones are pre LCI.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #185
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm probably mixing terminologies here, sorry about that.

What I mean is I though LCI paddles are the black ones with + and - not the chrome ones. And the chrome ones are pre LCI.
Well, I think maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying. You mean the push/pull ones for the original sport, right?

DCT are the +/- ones that are flat ones, and for Dual Clutch setups. LCI have a black center with a chrome trim.

What you're saying then is a relevant question in general (assuming it was factory bought) about having SSG paddles in an LCI car.

Picture from the Burger install instructions for clarifications. [Btw, shameless, but if someone needs the specified controls to retro, I'm selling a set.]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #186
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Well, I think maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying. You mean the push/pull ones for the original sport, right?

DCT are the +/- ones that are flat ones, and for Dual Clutch setups. LCI have a black center with a chrome trim.

What you're saying then is a relevant question in general (assuming it was factory bought) about having SSG paddles in an LCI car.

Picture from the Burger install instructions for clarifications. [Btw, shameless, but if someone needs the specified controls to retro, I'm selling a set.]
Ooh.. that was very helpful. So the one I'm picking up is the SSG one.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #187
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ooh.. that was very helpful. So the one I'm picking up is the SSG one.
It's good, because you can choose now if you want push/pull or -/+ paddles based on your wiring.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #188
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Well, I have been trying for two days now to get this working, but no paddles action

I have a 328i 2011 (LCI) comes with standard steering wheel of course, and got a full steering wheel from a LCI 335i. The steering wheel is the SSG style just like this one https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KYAAA...dQ/s-l1600.jpg

The connector at the back of the clockspring had the two yellow and yellow/black wires in pin 2 & 4.
I removed them, and inserted new wires that tap to the shifter's blue connector on the blue and purple wires.

I tried with two different wires:

- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs...843406705.html
- and speaker wires that I had that are 18 gauge

All steering wheel buttons work, but no paddles action. Not in D, and not in DS..nothing.

I wonder if there is different wiring for LCI cars?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also curious what are those two yellow wires that we are supposed to remove?! I mean they are not some extra wires, are they? they must be connected to something or do something?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:43 AM   #189
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Humm... I guess I'll have to do this https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=99
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 04:20 AM   #190
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Humm... I guess I'll have to do this https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=99
Quote:
Well, I have been trying for two days now to get this working, but no paddles action

I have a 328i 2011 (LCI) comes with standard steering wheel of course, and got a full steering wheel from a LCI 335i. The steering wheel is the SSG style just like this one https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KYAAA...dQ/s-l1600.jpg

The connector at the back of the clockspring had the two yellow and yellow/black wires in pin 2 & 4.
I removed them, and inserted new wires that tap to the shifter's blue connector on the blue and purple wires.

I tried with two different wires:

- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs...843406705.html
- and speaker wires that I had that are 18 gauge

All steering wheel buttons work, but no paddles action. Not in D, and not in DS..nothing.

I wonder if there is different wiring for LCI cars?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also curious what are those two yellow wires that we are supposed to remove?! I mean they are not some extra wires, are they? they must be connected to something or do something?
Or spend $99 and all you do is worry about setting up push/pull vs -/+ — or add the MF controls and its plug and play. Your choice, you're halfway in so I know the feeling.

Back to your wiring, are you still able to manually go thru M1-6 with the shifter? Can you take a picture of where you're at from a few angles and at the connection points? Maybe someone can recognize the error. I just hope someone didn't swap a MF set before they sold it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #191
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Or spend $99 and all you do is worry about setting up push/pull vs -/+ — or add the MF controls and its plug and play. Your choice, you're halfway in so I know the feeling.

Back to your wiring, are you still able to manually go thru M1-6 with the shifter? Can you take a picture of where you're at from a few angles and at the connection points? Maybe someone can recognize the error. I just hope someone didn't swap a MF set before they sold it.
That $99 is for the wire harness sold by burgertuning right? Or is that for something else?
Then you say or add the multifunction controls and it's plug and play. But the steering wheel already comes with them? This is confusing!

I got the whole steering wheel for $262 Canadian and it's a heated one.
The burgertuning harness after shipping $120 USD that's $160 Canadian dollars!

I'll take photos and post them.
Appreciate your help. And yes, so frustrating... a smile wiper for sure after you plug everything and hop in put it in D and nothing
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 12:51 AM   #192
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That $99 is for the wire harness sold by burgertuning right? Or is that for something else?
Then you say or add the multifunction controls and it's plug and play. But the steering wheel already comes with them? This is confusing!

I got the whole steering wheel for $262 Canadian and it's a heated one.
The burgertuning harness after shipping $120 USD that's $160 Canadian dollars!

I'll take photos and post them.
Appreciate your help. And yes, so frustrating... a smile wiper for sure after you plug everything and hop in put it in D and nothing
Yeah, the burger one. But keep in mind, once you do that you mind as well get the controllers too because they said its needed. Basically with theirs you need a 6-pin MFC for the paddles.

But for now show us some pics and that may help. I had my own issues only to realize I had done it right the first time — just needed to mod the LCI paddles.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #193
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Alright. Thanks to all the info here, I was able to finish this early this week.
Haven't had the chance to post the steps I took.

The bottom line, regardless if you bought a whole steering wheel with paddles and multi function buttons from a wreck etc. or if you collected parts and put them together; you will need to modify the steering wheel wiring.
It's not just the modification to the plug at the bottom of the clockspring that needs to be modified. Again, the steering wheel wiring needs to be adjusted as it was posted by Zaphood earlier. And no need for $100 USD harness, unless you don't want to cut any wires.

So here it is:
  1. Remove front trim. To do so, remove the three torx screws in the back
  2. Once removed you will have easy access to each paddle shifter plug that connects to each multi function button
  3. Grab a towel/microfiber towel and pliers so you don't damage the plug
  4. Remove the paddle plugs from the multi function buttons
  5. Remove pin #6 on the multi function plug that connects to the clockspring. I only needed to remove this one
  6. You can now follow the diagram for the wiring, but here is the description:
  7. Each paddle plug has 3 pins, forget pin #1
  8. Make a connection from one paddle pin #2 to the other paddle #2 and connect another one in the middle -or something. basically a T wiring (sorry not sure what it's called)
  9. Connect this to the airbag ground
  10. Do the same T wiring to pin #3 on the paddles and connect this to pin #6 on the multi function plug
  11. This wiring concludes the part on the steering wheel

Next is the connection from the clockspring to the gear shifter
  1. Take out the plug at the bottom of the clockspring
  2. Find pins #2 & #4
  3. If they are filled; then remove them (I don't like cutting if I can avoid it)
  4. Insert around 1 meter long wire in each pin (2 & 4)
  5. Tap one to the purple wire on the shifter harness and the other to the blue one

That's it. Huge thanks to everyone for their posts, comments, and help.
Attached Images

Last edited by gamesfrager; 07-21-2019 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #194
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

gamesfrager Nice. Clean work too! Hopefully this makes some of it clearer.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #195
Arthuar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330xd 2007

Smile

Quote:
Alright. Thanks to all the info here, I was able to finish this early this week.
Haven't had the chance to post the steps I took.

The bottom line, regardless if you bought a whole steering wheel with paddles and multi function buttons from a wreck etc. or if you collected parts and put them together; you will need to modify the steering wheel wiring.
It's not just the modification to the plug at the bottom of the clockspring that needs to be modified. Again, the steering wheel wiring needs to be adjusted as it was posted by Zaphood earlier. And no need for $100 USD harness, unless you don't want to cut any wires.

So here it is:
  1. Remove front trim. To do so, remove the three torx screws in the back
  2. Once removed you will have easy access to each paddle shifter plug that connects to each multi function button
  3. Grab a towel/microfiber towel and pliers so you don't damage the plug
  4. Remove the paddle plugs from the multi function buttons
  5. Remove pin #6 on the multi function plug that connects to the clockspring. I only needed to remove this one
  6. You can now follow the diagram for the wiring, but here is the description:
  7. Each paddle plug has 3 pins, forget pin #1
  8. Make a connection from one paddle pin #2 to the other paddle #2 and connect another one in the middle -or something. basically a T wiring (sorry not sure what it's called)
  9. Connect this to the airbag ground
  10. Do the same T wiring to pin #3 on the paddles and connect this to pin #6 on the multi function plug
  11. This wiring concludes the part on the steering wheel

Next is the connection from the clockspring to the gear shifter
  1. Take out the plug at the bottom of the clockspring
  2. Find pins #2 & #4
  3. If they are filled; then remove them (I don't like cutting if I can avoid it)
  4. Insert around 1 meter long wire in each pin (2 & 6)
  5. Tap one to the purple wire on the shifter harness and the other to the blue one

That's it. Huge thanks to everyone for their posts, comments, and help.
Small info, to make clear my intention
I just did it the same as yours, few years ago.Upgraded the paddle shifter ( LCI Type..) on an old steptronic 330d paddled non-native.
My question today is, if I bought a native bmw 335d, with the SSG shifters ( push/pull both side..) would it be switchable with my old LCI wheel?
I mean, it's dued the connection wiring stuff only on the wheel, I think.Ain'it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #196
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

My understanding is you need to modify the wiring on the steering wheel to get it working and/or to change the shifting style.

There are youtube videos on how to modify the paddle shifter wiring to get the desired style.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

On a some what related note. When I engage the paddle and shift up while I'm in D or DS mode; shifting up works. But shifting down doesn't. I verified the down shift does work and steps down while the car in D and stopped (pressing on brakes)? Am I missing something?
Appreciate 1
Arthuar11.50
      07-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #197
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
My understanding is you need to modify the wiring on the steering wheel to get it working and/or to change the shifting style.

There are youtube videos on how to modify the paddle shifter wiring to get the desired style.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

On a some what related note. When I engage the paddle and shift up while I'm in D or DS mode; shifting up works. But shifting down doesn't. I verified the down shift does work and steps down while the car in D and stopped (pressing on brakes)? Am I missing something?
I added two wires with male ends on one end and female ends on the other. The female ends pined into the clock spring and the male ends were shoved in the blue shifter connector.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #198
Greg555
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: many

What do I do if the 6 pin connector at the clock spring has all the wires in it?

Looks like both paddles go thru the switches.

Steering wheel was out of 09 335

Last edited by Greg555; 07-21-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0