E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Recall announced

01-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #243
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Seems that if you get a rental/loaner there faster at fixing the recall. I'm at 5 weeks in my x3 and got the call to bring my car in parts are available
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #244
turbojimmy
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I was sitting in the driveway today in my newly-"repaired" E90 330xi and the melting plastic smell returned. I let it continue for a while until smoke started pouring out of the center vents. I shut off the HVAC system and the smoke stopped.

I popped the hood to see if there was a smoke condition under the hood that might have been drawn in through the HVAC system. Nope. Smoke was generated inside the car somehow.

I called BMW NA to see if I could bring it to a dealer other than the one that allegedly performed the recall repair. They said ok. I called dealer #2 and they said recall parts aren't available, but drop the car off and they'll give me a loaner.

I have a feeling the limited availability of the revised parts are being tested on a select number of guinea pigs. I am one of such pigs. The fix failed. The problem is actually worse than ever - I never had smoke before. Just a random melting plastic smell.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #245
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
I was sitting in the driveway today in my newly-"repaired" E90 330xi and the melting plastic smell returned. I let it continue for a while until smoke started pouring out of the center vents. I shut off the HVAC system and the smoke stopped.

I popped the hood to see if there was a smoke condition under the hood that might have been drawn in through the HVAC system. Nope. Smoke was generated inside the car somehow.

I called BMW NA to see if I could bring it to a dealer other than the one that allegedly performed the recall repair. They said ok. I called dealer #2 and they said recall parts aren't available, but drop the car off and they'll give me a loaner.

I have a feeling the limited availability of the revised parts are being tested on a select number of guinea pigs. I am one of such pigs. The fix failed. The problem is actually worse than ever - I never had smoke before. Just a random melting plastic smell.
If you have the time and desire, you can take a look at your blower motor to see if the melted plastic smell is causing it. It's located under the passenger seat behind the glove box. Have to lie down, remove the panel under the glove box to see it. You can most likely just visually inspect the wires to see if there is any melting or fraying.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:05 AM   #246
turbojimmy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschophile View Post
If you have the time and desire, you can take a look at your blower motor to see if the melted plastic smell is causing it. It's located under the passenger seat behind the glove box. Have to lie down, remove the panel under the glove box to see it. You can most likely just visually inspect the wires to see if there is any melting or fraying.
I did that this past weekend after looking at the picture in this thread (I think it's this thread anyway). Granted, I don't know what the wire looked like before but it does look like the one in the picture. Beefy brown wire and what appears to be an insulated connector.

I'm wondering whether they really know what the problem is or how to fix it. I further wonder if the melted wires, if that's what was happening, are the result of some unusually large draw somewhere that they've now exacerbated with a heavier gauge wire. We've had a mild, melting plastic smell for probably about 2 years. Never any smoke. I didn't know what it was until we got the recall letter. Now the smell is very strong and I had smoke out the vents for the first time yesterday.

Like most people, until the recall I had assumed it was the leaking VCG. I don't drive the car (my wife does) so when she told me about the smell I figured it was the VCG. But one day I happened to be driving it and smelled it - it's not burning oil. I changed out the VCG this past weekend and now there are no leaks that would be causing an odor. And, as I mentioned previously, when I saw the smoke out the vents I immediately popped the hood to see if it was being drawn in from there. It's not. And the melting smell is intermittent. Seems to be mostly at idle, but not every time it idles.

I also think my blower fan operation is erratic now when it was not before they "fixed" it. It's not maintaining the set temperature - the blower will operate at speeds inconsistent with the temperature in the car or sometimes not at all (very briefly). I haven't played around with it much though - all I know is that it wasn't like that before.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #247
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I did that this past weekend after looking at the picture in this thread (I think it's this thread anyway). Granted, I don't know what the wire looked like before but it does look like the one in the picture. Beefy brown wire and what appears to be an insulated connector.

I'm wondering whether they really know what the problem is or how to fix it. I further wonder if the melted wires, if that's what was happening, are the result of some unusually large draw somewhere that they've now exacerbated with a heavier gauge wire. We've had a mild, melting plastic smell for probably about 2 years. Never any smoke. I didn't know what it was until we got the recall letter. Now the smell is very strong and I had smoke out the vents for the first time yesterday.

Like most people, until the recall I had assumed it was the leaking VCG. I don't drive the car (my wife does) so when she told me about the smell I figured it was the VCG. But one day I happened to be driving it and smelled it - it's not burning oil. I changed out the VCG this past weekend and now there are no leaks that would be causing an odor. And, as I mentioned previously, when I saw the smoke out the vents I immediately popped the hood to see if it was being drawn in from there. It's not. And the melting smell is intermittent. Seems to be mostly at idle, but not every time it idles.

I also think my blower fan operation is erratic now when it was not before they "fixed" it. It's not maintaining the set temperature - the blower will operate at speeds inconsistent with the temperature in the car or sometimes not at all (very briefly). I haven't played around with it much though - all I know is that it wasn't like that before.
Do you know if they replaced the Final Stage Unit on the blower? If the fan is behaving erratically, it could be that unit. It's the white crescent shaped part on the blower which regulates its speed.

Looked for the picture you mentioned - couldn't find it. Can you provide a link?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #248
turbojimmy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschophile View Post
Do you know if they replaced the Final Stage Unit on the blower? If the fan is behaving erratically, it could be that unit. It's the white crescent shaped part on the blower which regulates its speed.

Looked for the picture you mentioned - couldn't find it. Can you provide a link?
The paperwork says they replaced the Final Stage Unit, but who knows?

It's easy to get at. If I have time before dark today I'll take a look at it (my garage is consumed with other projects). For it to smell that bad and for smoke to come out of the vents, I would think there would be visible heat damage somewhere in the vicinity.

Today it's been 100% fine. I'd swear I was losing my mind if my son hadn't witnessed it. I don't know how to duplicate the behavior and I'm afraid the dealer won't either.

The picture I was referring to is post #201 in this thread on page 10.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #249
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The paperwork says they replaced the Final Stage Unit, but who knows?

It's easy to get at. If I have time before dark today I'll take a look at it (my garage is consumed with other projects). For it to smell that bad and for smoke to come out of the vents, I would think there would be visible heat damage somewhere in the vicinity.

Today it's been 100% fine. I'd swear I was losing my mind if my son hadn't witnessed it. I don't know how to duplicate the behavior and I'm afraid the dealer won't either.

The picture I was referring to is post #201 in this thread on page 10.
Do you live in a hot, cold or temperate area? I know my car acts up in strange ways when it gets cold, such as with the windshield washer fluid. Says it's not full in cold weather when it is, but I digress...

You say:

And the melting smell is intermittent. Seems to be mostly at idle, but not every time it idles.

It sounds like your car isn't sensing internal temperatures correctly. Another theory might be it thinks it is a different temperature due to the burning/melting going on. If there is melting/burning smell, there is definitely misplaced heat somewhere.

When you click on climate control buttons, do you hear the actuators moving the flaps inside? Try fiddling around with the climate controls and turn off "auto" if you've been using it.

When you have time later today, take out the whole blower motor and inspect it. It could be there are particulates lodged between the fan and housing which heat up and create that nasty burning smell.

I've read accounts of mice shacking up in that thing, too!

Let us know!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #250
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Picked up my car today from BMW with all three (3) recalls completed. I have attached the invoice to show everyone what was done, unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm any of the repairs as I went straight to work after, but tomorrow morning I will confirm all and share photos.

Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      01-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #251
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 N55

I've been driving my car recently, and it's been getting overheated. I know we have the blower motor wiring recall that could possibly be attributing to this issue, however, I'm not sure if it's that or a bad water pump and/or thermostat.

I've driven my car with and without the heater on and it overheats both times.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #252
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

Just picked up 2017 Jeep Wrangler from Enterprise and my bimmer is still on my driveway : ) Now I need to wait for parts and call from the dealer.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo963.50
      01-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #253
spac3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepBolt View Post
I've been driving my car recently, and it's been getting overheated. I know we have the blower motor wiring recall that could possibly be attributing to this issue, however, I'm not sure if it's that or a bad water pump and/or thermostat.

I've driven my car with and without the heater on and it overheats both times.
Blower motor recall would have nothing to do with engine overheating
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #254
Mikep976
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E90

Dropped mine off last week. At this rate, with them storing the car and flipping the bill for the rental, I feel like they are going to end up exceeding the value of the car if they don’t get parts soon. I’m surprised they haven’t started offering buybacks or something of the sort.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #255
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Received notice yesterday that the blower parts are in for my car.

I'll be bringing it to the dealership on Friday.

More to follow.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 09:24 PM   #256
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Just got a recall letter for the blower motor wiring. Seems like BMW is expanding the recall as my E90 wasn't affected before. Rightfully so, as my wiring was definitely deteriorated when I did my temporary preventative fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #257
twwackky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

HI guys, I wanted to chime in here and see if anyone has had a similar experience. My VIN shows the remedy is not available yet I brought in my car last week for both PCV heater and blow motor wiring. They completed the repair but then said a new fault appeared for the eccentric shaft sensor needing to be replaced. They cannot get the car started without pulling the sensor wiring. They want to convince me of this coincidence and pay for a sensor. I know the sensor should be replaced if there is oil in it, which he said there was, but I feel like if i drive my car in I should be able to drive it out. Still haven't picked up the car yet.

According to the repair procedure they have to remove the JBE and also cut into wires to replace the blower wiring harness. It isn't impossible to screw something else up and i think i have heard some people were having issues with this recall as well.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V676-3259.pdf

Please let me know if you have had the recall work done and experienced issues.

BTW as far as a rental car, my car smelled of burning plastic and they did provide a rental for almost 6 weeks as I waited. I wonder if they are testing out some recall remedy's especially to those with a long term rental as like someone mentioned the costs are nearing the value of the car itself.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #258
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

i am on my 5th week with the 430i now from Enterprize. The contract says BMW is paying them $2000/month.

If they're keeping my 325i for another few more weeks, they should have bought it in the first place with that $
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo963.50
      02-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #259
ProAktion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i

Garage List
2008 BMW / 335i  [0.00]
Just took mine in for a rental. Got a 2017 Charger. Well see if I get parts faster now lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #260
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAktion View Post
Just took mine in for a rental. Got a 2017 Charger. Well see if I get parts faster now lol.
dang... I should do the same. Did you call them ahead of time or you just showed up...?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #261
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I just called my local dealership and scheduled appointment for this coming Thursday for the recall check up while I wait and at that point will give me options...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #262
ProAktion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i

Garage List
2008 BMW / 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
I just called my local dealership and scheduled appointment for this coming Thursday for the recall check up while I wait and at that point will give me options...
Yup same thing. They were gonna look at the valve cover to verify I wasnt smelling oil burning from a potential leak, but I know when the valve cover gasket was replaced and told them I have already looked at the fan harness and it looked burnt at the fan connection.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #263
jcaff914
Rep

First of all, I just want to say thank you to this brilliant forum. I did not know of this recall until I saw this thread and just confirmed it on the BMW website.

I have been having this problem for months. Havent been able to have people in my car due to the stench that comes through the ac . I have noticed smoke coming from under my hood before and I just blamed it on an assumed oil leak, but now I realize its most likely the issue this recall covers.

Again, thank you to all e90post contributors, great community!

PS: Am I the only one that's slightly excited to get a much newer rental car to replace my 12 year old car?
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo963.50
      02-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #264
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Just curious, what kind of rentals do they give? Are they BMW rentals? I live in the tristate NY/NJ area. What kind of rental should I be expecting? If it's some piece of shit econobox from Hertz/Enterprise, I'd rather just keep my E90 until parts are available for the recall.
Appreciate 0