E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Change back production date after CIC Retrofit

10-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Question Change back production date after CIC Retrofit

Hi guys,

During CCC to CIC retrofit, I added #0910 in CAS and NFRM ECU to change production date so the CIC unit could be read. Now that the retrofit is complete, I want to change the production date to the original date 0803 just to be safe.

I am thinking removing #0910 from CAS and NFRM will restore the original date, is that right? Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Did your VO not had the original date set? Maybe you should set that one back.

Not sure what the impact will be for the day to day use... You probably will need to set the VO again to this date if you perform updates or coding on your CIC.

Test it, report it back here and you now know how to code your nav anyway... In case of troubles people will help you if you also share your test results...
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm surprised to see only one response (which I'm thankful for BTW). With all the retrofitting going on, surely someone thought about the same thing, I thought.

Anyway, the car did not have a date originally, which I looked for before changing the VO for CIC. My car is due for oil change and check up so I'll remove #0910 from CAS and NFRM and hope nothing goes wrong during test coding. I will report back with updates... most likely this weekend when I add in video interface just got in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo View Post
Did your VO not had the original date set? Maybe you should set that one back.

Not sure what the impact will be for the day to day use... You probably will need to set the VO again to this date if you perform updates or coding on your CIC.

Test it, report it back here and you now know how to code your nav anyway... In case of troubles people will help you if you also share your test results...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs up Update as promised

I tired to write to NFRM and got into some issues. Turns out I had to change back to #0308 in order to get NCS to use the right daten files relevant to VO.

You should absolutely change back to your build date or you will risk over-writing stuff. However, if you tried to change things and screwed things up in other ECUs after CIC retrofit--or other retrofits that require build date change--you can always read and write back to the ECUs after changing (FA_write) to CAS and NFRM (or FRM). NCS will create the correct trace based on your VO.

Avoid processing the entire car! I've seen some brave people try this and mess up. It's better to do one ECU at a time, that way you will have a easier time troubleshooting in case of mishap.

Hope this helps someone. Happy coding bims
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omare90 View Post
I tired to write to NFRM and got into some issues. Turns out I had to change back to #0308 in order to get NCS to use the right daten files relevant to VO.

You should absolutely change back to your build date or you will risk over-writing stuff. However, if you tried to change things and screwed things up in other ECUs after CIC retrofit--or other retrofits that require build date change--you can always read and write back to the ECUs after changing (FA_write) to CAS and NFRM (or FRM). NCS will create the correct trace based on your VO.

Avoid processing the entire car! I've seen some brave people try this and mess up. It's better to do one ECU at a time, that way you will have a easier time troubleshooting in case of mishap.

Hope this helps someone. Happy coding bims

so what was the outcome of changing the production date back to 08? is the cic still working without any issues?
      03-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
gmros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
so what was the outcome of changing the production date back to 08? is the cic still working without any issues?
you need to change it back and code all the modules but the cic related ones. That way your cic is gonna work all right as long as the other modules
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
John.duh
Rep
Drives:

I'm reviving this old thread to check something.

I've got a CIC retrofit in my 07 E90, which works perfectly. For the retrofit I had added 0909 build date to the VO, which I never changed back.

Now I've done an FLA retrofit and coded the car with the modified build date. Could this result in me having an e-call error in the car? I can't seem to get rid of the code A56F in the kombi, which claims a missing message from ecall.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
mizta insane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Yes,

Build dates correspondence to certain i levels

For retrofits it’s recommended to never write the build date to cas/frm. Add it everytime you need to code cic or whatever else you are doing.

Your car might now be looking for c call in combox
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
John.duh
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizta insane View Post
Yes,

Build dates correspondence to certain i levels

For retrofits it’s recommended to never write the build date to cas/frm. Add it everytime you need to code cic or whatever else you are doing.

Your car might now be looking for c call in combox
I tried 1207 0607 0308 and then some. Finally I wrote 0607 in CAS and NRFM but that didn't change a thing to the car.

It only changed the modules shown to me by NCSExpert. On 0607 I have the CCC components. When I change back to 0909, which i had before, it shows the CIC components.
In all cases the ecall stayed present, so I did some more digging.
Apparently the factory coding for the Kombi does a check if the combox is still alive. When set to nicht_aktiv my error went away.
Appreciate 0