E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Restored my E90's Headlights... what do you think?

04-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Restored my E90's Headlights... what do you think?

I restored my E90 headlights this past weekend.

If your BMW's headlights need a refresh, I created a step-by-step guide to bring them back to life. I've done this many times with great results and have tried all the kits out there. This is by far the best method that holds up over time. Just thought I'd share!

3M Headlight Restoration Kit: https://amzn.to/2IUptsU

3M Automotive Masking Tape: https://amzn.to/2W3wRWl

Automotive Glass Cleaner: https://amzn.to/2Dy4ZCP

32oz Spray Bottle: https://amzn.to/2Dy2LDt

Meguiar's Microfiber Towels: https://amzn.to/2L2GO5m

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax: https://amzn.to/2XGH3EH

Cordless Drill: https://amzn.to/2PtjDQs

Shop Towels: https://amzn.to/2IVOFz8

If you've done this before, let me know your experience!
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com

Last edited by suspenceful; 04-25-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
Fredo190.50
Schmitz241.00
      04-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Looks good but I don't see a plastic sealant in your list of ingredients. The yellowing will come back real quick if you don't cover the plastic with an UV protectant.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Looks good!

I have no trouble making even the most yellowed headlights clear again, its keeping them that way that I have trouble with.

I've tried everything short of clear coating the headlights. I think that might be the only good way to keep them clear for more than 6 months.

Anyone have any tips that have worked for them long-term?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Hello there. Amazing results !
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post

If you've done this before, let me know your experience!
I've done it before many times on three different cars, and I agree that the 3M kit is gives the best results with the least amount of elbow grease. I've gotten similar results with hand sanding, but it's a lot of labor. In both cases, initially the results are excellent, however I noticed that after each time the yellowing and discoloration occured quickly, sometimes within three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Looks good!

I have no trouble making even the most yellowed headlights clear again, its keeping them that way that I have trouble with.

I've tried everything short of clear coating the headlights. I think that might be the only good way to keep them clear for more than 6 months.

After experiencing this myself many times, I discovered Meguiar's Keep Clear (comes in a box that is mostly a powder blue color). It's a spray that gets applied after the headlights are polished nicely. I did this to one of my cars about a year ago and the lights are still shiny and smooth (no pitting or crust) however they are just starting to get a very slight yellowish tint. I'll try to remember and get some pictures.

There's another product called SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration UV Block Clear Coat that has excellent reviews and I would like to try this next. It's not a spray on product but instead gets applied by hand with a towel.

As for my poor E90 headlights they're not yellow at all. I hand sanded and applied the Meguiar's keep clear, and they're still clear however they are pitted pretty badly, even after hand sanding. I want to go more aggressive, however I may cave in and just get a cheapo set of Depo headlights and swap in some true HID projectors.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Looks good but I don't see a plastic sealant in your list of ingredients. The yellowing will come back real quick if you don't cover the plastic with an UV protectant.
Quote:
Looks good!

Yup - I've found this to be, by far, the absolute best and permanent solution. Correct the lights then apply the laminx covers. Bingo, never need to correct them again.

https://www.lamin-x.com/precut-film-...overs-14337187
      04-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I used the Meguiar's Quik Wax for now. In the past, I've used a Lamin-X film like mentioned below. I was just going to religiously apply wax this time, but maybe I'll clear coat them.

Quote:
Looks good!

I've used Lamin-X film in the past and they never got yellow again. But I think this time I might try clear coat. I just get nervous painting, worried that I might create runs or a bad layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Hello there. Amazing results !
Thanks Alfredo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I've done it before many times on three different cars, and I agree that the 3M kit is gives the best results with the least amount of elbow grease. I've gotten similar results with hand sanding, but it's a lot of labor. In both cases, initially the results are excellent, however I noticed that after each time the yellowing and discoloration occured quickly, sometimes within three months.

After experiencing this myself many times, I discovered Meguiar's Keep Clear (comes in a box that is mostly a powder blue color). It's a spray that gets applied after the headlights are polished nicely. I did this to one of my cars about a year ago and the lights are still shiny and smooth (no pitting or crust) however they are just starting to get a very slight yellowish tint. I'll try to remember and get some pictures.

There's another product called SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration UV Block Clear Coat that has excellent reviews and I would like to try this next. It's not a spray on product but instead gets applied by hand with a towel.

As for my poor E90 headlights they're not yellow at all. I hand sanded and applied the Meguiar's keep clear, and they're still clear however they are pitted pretty badly, even after hand sanding. I want to go more aggressive, however I may cave in and just get a cheapo set of Depo headlights and swap in some true HID projectors.
Good to know. Maybe I will get some of those products a shot, but I'm debating just clear coating them instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Yup - I've found this to be, by far, the absolute best and permanent solution. Correct the lights then apply the laminx covers. Bingo, never need to correct them again.

https://www.lamin-x.com/precut-film-...overs-14337187
I did this on my old E90 and it worked great! They never yellowed or pitted again. Sold it and they still looked brand new... I wonder how they're holding up.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      04-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
BigRed08
Rep
Drives: BMW 325XI

Nice!
Appreciate 0