E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I cloned my MSV70 DME

05-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #2157
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

So after sleeping on it, I went ahead and bought 2 brand new OEM BMW Disa valves from FCP Euro for $620.

I recently replaced the engine in my car after I blew it, I replaced every gasket that normally leaks, I replaced the water pump, the clutch and flywheel, added MILVS and bought this 3 stage intake manifold. Everything about my car is in perfect condition all the way down to the exterior body panels and interior leather and trim.

I plan to keep and enjoy this car for as long as possible because it really is the best car you can get for under $10k, by a wide wide margin.

Since they're OEM BMW I know they'll work for a long time, and since I bought from FCP Euro, if and when they ever do break again, the replacement is free.

I cant wait to get and install them and see how the car feels afterwords.

I'm also going to look at what went wrong with the old disa valve(s)... I'm a mechanical engineer and may be able to find a fix for partially closing valves, who knows.
Appreciate 1
BIGGNS403.00
      05-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #2158
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Just to check I tried my cruise control in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear this morning and it worked fine in all gears with my 3.91 diff. And I ran a 3.73 diff for about a year and a half and also never had any cruise control issues. No special programming done, or messing with the kombi.
And there's no reason it shouldn't. But your tune is modified - what he's talking about is a tune meant for basically stock cars with a 3-stage swap, it has no changes for diff ratio. That can be done easily enough but it's not included in a free tune.

There is hysteresis, so if you made a change from say a 3.73 calibration to 3.91 it would be fine, but going from 3.15 to 3.73 wouldn't be a good idea without changing the final drive calibration. Maybe it will even adapt itself but you would have to reset the adaptations probably.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3761.50
      05-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #2159
dwsavenko
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Right on Joe!

Whatever makes you happy! I can appreciate having quality parts.

As for "what goes wrong". BMW revised the DISA's later on in production to address the wearing of the shaft and internal sealing issues. I believe they should last much longer! For those who are purchasing a used manifold with early DISA's, it's almost a guarantee they might need some work.

Peace of mind is a grand thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #2160
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsavenko View Post
Right on Joe!

As for "what goes wrong". BMW revised the DISA's later on in production to address the wearing of the shaft and internal sealing issues. I believe they should last much longer! For those who are purchasing a used manifold with early DISA's, it's almost a guarantee they might need some work.

I was told that my manifold was off of a 2011 N51 with 33k miles by the junkyard, so i was really optomistic that my disa valves would be good to go... but I'm starting to think maaaayyybe that wasn't true lol. Junkyards are so sketchy you cant really trust anything they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #2161
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
I was told that my manifold was off of a 2011 N51 with 33k miles by the junkyard, so i was really optomistic that my disa valves would be good to go... but I'm starting to think maaaayyybe that wasn't true lol. Junkyards are so sketchy you cant really trust anything they say.
Well, and honestly, the junkyard guys aren't going to know everything or how to diagnose it. Hell, half the people here thought that you checked DISAs by just seeing if they were just tight.

You need to hook them up and test them, there's really no other way, and a junkyard guy ain't gonna take it all apart just to test DISAs for each 3IM variant they bring in. They give you a price quote it 5 min or less (sometimes in front of you)...it ain't about the details, its about moving the bulk of the car off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #2162
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right on Joe!

My DISAs are original, nearing 150k - and still working just fine. Who knows what really causes them to fail; if the new versions last longer, they should be basically indestructible.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #2163
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Ahh, yes in fact I bet it is your diff swap that's pissing it off. Since the current gear is calculated by using RPM and VSS.

It's possible to adjust the gear ratio in the tune of course to match your cruise control.

I should mention I have a 3.73

Last edited by desertman123; 05-08-2019 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #2164
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

but you don't get errors for cruise I thought - it just didn't work. I'd have to double check but I think I already changed your ratio to 3.73 (if not I should do that).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #2165
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
but you don't get errors for cruise I thought - it just didn't work. I'd have to double check but I think I already changed your ratio to 3.73 (if not I should do that).
Yeah just nothing happens when the stalk is pulled. Eliminating variables one at a time here I guess
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:17 AM   #2166
dwsavenko
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Yeah just nothing happens when the stalk is pulled. Eliminating variables one at a time here I guess
Hey Desertman!

I have same issue with the NO-MAF tune exclusively, Hass confirmed this is a known issue, probably because the ZB# the MAF-less tune is based on never had cruise as an option. But he did mentioned he will look into this when he has some free time.

If you flash back to the normal 128i to 130i tune it should come back to life. But as you said in an earlier post, the normal tune can be erratic (running with an IAT not a MAF). I was running just fine with the normal 128i to 130i tune for a couple days, but on the way home tonight it got squirrely. Surging in 3rd gear, idle drop and almost stall, and strange throttle input. No codes on the DME though.

I have the same car as you, and just determined this after I bought an IAT last week and started switching between the two tunes.

Going to keep experimenting for a bit. I don't "need" cruise, but on the highway after a few hours it's nice to give the foot a break. Either way I'm happy I have ANY options.

Last edited by dwsavenko; 05-09-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #2167
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

yeah, you can't run the standard tune with just an IAT. It has no way to accurately measure load. The no-MAF tune is specifically calibrated to work without a MAF (and it's not an Alpha-N tune, and it's not just running in a limp mode).

I'm hoping I can get back to looking at the CC issue next week. One possibility is to just re-base it on the stock US tune, but that's a whole lot of work. It's probably easier to just turn on CC again.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #2168
dwsavenko
Rep

That would be great!!

Power/Smoothness/Awesomeness => Cruise Control.

Please take your time to come up with the best solution.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:50 AM   #2169
Riksaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 320d

Hello!

I have a 2.5i 177hp version of a e85 z4

Would like to tune it to the 2.5si model.

I have already registered to the Bimmerlabs and make a project.

hassmachine, would you like help me with that?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #2170
diedvdijk
Rep
Drives: Z4 E90

BMW Z4 E85 N52B30 US version

Hello,

I have a BMW E85 Z4 2006 with the N52B30 engine and made a project on Bimmerlabs forum. My car is an US version and so limited to 217 HP. I upgraded my intake manifold with the 3-stage DISA version, and after that I installed the right files from Bimmerlabs.

After driving now i am noticing some troubles. Allready delete all adaptions values etc. since they cannot be used, and are erased anyway I guess bij installing a new file. But anyhow the car is responding a little bit strange.

When I drive slowly, just normal driving, I noticed some shocking behavoir. Like the cars has direct power, but within milisecconds gets more and more power. Just little pushes from the engine. Before the manifold and coding I did not have this behavoir. Maybe some mapping is changed in the file? The talk about a stock 3.0SI file? But maybe they make some minor changes.

Who can help me out? Did allready several checks, no MIL, no faultcodes only the coding error. Car drives great above 2000 RPM below this engine RPM the car is not driving smooth anymore.

Thanks for helping me out.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #2171
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diedvdijk View Post
Hello,

I have a BMW E85 Z4 2006 with the N52B30 engine and made a project on Bimmerlabs forum. My car is an US version and so limited to 217 HP. I upgraded my intake manifold with the 3-stage DISA version, and after that I installed the right files from Bimmerlabs.

After driving now i am noticing some troubles. Allready delete all adaptions values etc. since they cannot be used, and are erased anyway I guess bij installing a new file. But anyhow the car is responding a little bit strange.

When I drive slowly, just normal driving, I noticed some shocking behavoir. Like the cars has direct power, but within milisecconds gets more and more power. Just little pushes from the engine. Before the manifold and coding I did not have this behavoir. Maybe some mapping is changed in the file? The talk about a stock 3.0SI file? But maybe they make some minor changes.

Who can help me out? Did allready several checks, no MIL, no faultcodes only the coding error. Car drives great above 2000 RPM below this engine RPM the car is not driving smooth anymore.

Thanks for helping me out.

Did you drive the car after installing the manifold but before flashing the 3.0SI tune?

Double check everything you did under the hood and even things you don't remember touching. Coils, PVC hoses, MAF sensor etc.

You can reset adaptations again.

99.9% sure it's not related to the tune. Its simply a stock 3.0SI file masked to work in your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #2172
diedvdijk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Did you drive the car after installing the manifold but before flashing the 3.0SI tune?

Double check everything you did under the hood and even things you don't remember touching. Coils, PVC hoses, MAF sensor etc.

You can reset adaptations again.

99.9% sure it's not related to the tune. Its simply a stock 3.0SI file masked to work in your car.
He,

Thank you for the quick response. No I didnt drive the car with the three stage manifold with stock tune. I did some checks myself by driving the car with the laptop while looking the engine value's.

Also the car gives some little pops in the exhaust system while decelerating. This was never noticed before. Therefore I thought maybe the file was a little bit changed.

Am I able to reload the stock ECU file so I can verify if the problem still occurs with only the three stage manifold? I am not sure which steps to take since I flashed the RSA file offcourse.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:41 AM   #2173
dwsavenko
Rep

Sure you can swap between the stock tunes listed on your project and the custom tunes.

BUT you usually need to:

1) Flash back the Stock .opa file (Program File) (HW#) (15-20 min) (Download .zip package from Bimmerlabs)

(***Unless your sure the SOFTWARE HW# of the RSA delete and stock file match. Look through the stock files for your car project and match the software ID#'s to that of your RSA delete to skip this step. Probably preferred, so its easier to go back and forth between the stock and custom tune file)

2) Flash the Stock .oda file (Tune File) (ZB#) (1-3 min) (Download .zip package from Bimmerlabs)

I would do this first, and see if symptoms disappear or remain. Make sure again you match the .opa version to the line of the .oda file. If the program version does not match the tune file, the flash will fail.

If you want to go back and try the custom tune.

1) Flash the RSA delete again (If necessary due to software HW# differences) (Program file for the custom tune)

2) Flash the custom tune file again

I have done this on my car to see the differences. Also I am not sure you need to clear adaptations, as when you perform this level of ECU re-programming I believe it already starts with a "clean" set of values. (At least for the ECU side of adaptations). If you do clear adaptations, make sure you 1) Turn car off when cleared, 2) Turn car back on ACC position (WAIT 10-20 seconds) then start the car. If you turn the car on too quickly after adaptation reset, it can cause all sorts of crazy issues.

Last edited by dwsavenko; 05-15-2019 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #2174
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
No need to reflash the 0PA file. Just use the stock 0da file. I think Bimmerlabs will have that on your project page. That will take 40 seconds or so. The changes in the 0pa file only affect the flash subroutines. All MSV70's running the latest software version #921 will use the same 0pa file.

What 0da file did you flash from Bimmerlabs? Post the name. We can check if its the correct one.

I'm 100% sure that a 3.0SI 0da with a modified powerclass byte will work in your 2006 E85.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #2175
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

yeah, don't reflash the stock 0pa. Just flash the stock 0da.

Chances are it's not the tune but something to do with the manifold swap (ie, vacuum leak or something).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #2176
diedvdijk
Rep

Quote:
Sure you can swap between the stock tunes listed on your project and the custom tunes.

BUT you usually need to:

1) Flash back the Stock .opa file (Program File) (HW#) (15-20 min) (Download .zip package from Bimmerlabs)

(***Unless your sure the SOFTWARE HW# of the RSA delete and stock file match. Look through the stock files for your car project and match the software ID#'s to that of your RSA delete to skip this step. Probably preferred, so its easier to go back and forth between the stock and custom tune file)

2) Flash the Stock .oda file (Tune File) (ZB#) (1-3 min) (Download .zip package from Bimmerlabs)

I would do this first, and see if symptoms disappear or remain. Make sure again you match the .opa version to the line of the .oda file. If the program version does not match the tune file, the flash will fail.

If you want to go back and try the custom tune.

1) Flash the RSA delete again (If necessary due to software HW# differences) (Program file for the custom tune)

2) Flash the custom tune file again

I have done this on my car to see the differences. Also I am not sure you need to clear adaptations, as when you perform this level of ECU re-programming I believe it already starts with a "clean" set of values. (At least for the ECU side of adaptations). If you do clear adaptations, make sure you 1) Turn car off when cleared, 2) Turn car back on ACC position (WAIT 10-20 seconds) then start the car. If you turn the car on too quickly after adaptation reset, it can cause all sorts of crazy issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
No need to reflash the 0PA file. Just use the stock 0da file. I think Bimmerlabs will have that on your project page. That will take 40 seconds or so. The changes in the 0pa file only affect the flash subroutines. All MSV70's running the latest software version #921 will use the same 0pa file.

What 0da file did you flash from Bimmerlabs? Post the name. We can check if its the correct one.

I'm 100% sure that a 3.0SI 0da with a modified powerclass byte will work in your 2006 E85.

Thank you guys for all the good advice. Will try that directly.

I flashed the MSV70_S7581341_Z4_30i_to_30si.0da file with details 0049PP0L921S

Last edited by diedvdijk; 05-15-2019 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: adding information
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #2177
diedvdijk
Rep

Quote:

Chances are it's not the tune but something to do with the manifold swap (ie, vacuum leak or something).
Well i did a simple vacuum (smoke) leak test but no results. I also don't have any addional faultcodes except the coding one. Vehicle also remains a good idle RPM after slowing down and isnt jumping in revs. Everything feels fine except the low RPM power increment feeling. For my feeling it has something to do with ignition timing or fuel quantity.

For sure there is no strange mapping in the current map? And maybe since I have a california tier to bin 5 vehicle I need to add or remove hardware? I had some trouble with the Air mass meter, but after replacing the part with another part its running well without codes.

Well anyhow, will try to flash the stock 0da file. I am only not sure which one to choose. I made a snapshot of some data from inpa before doing the conversion flash, which tells me 0049PPOL901S Assembly number 7565127 which I cannot find in my project. Is this old since I am able to find 901S files?

Thankss

Last edited by diedvdijk; 05-15-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #2178
dwsavenko
Rep

Quote:

Hey Guys,

Just to clarify on my advice, on my project page I had stock .oda's which do not match the RSA delete program version, so I had to choose carefully. I also wanted to test an older revision as I thought it was a "better" stock tune at the time. This did require me to first re-flash a .opa to match.

BUT don't do me, just find the matching stock file and DONE!

Diedvdijk - Just look at your project page. It should list your available stock files. Don't worry exactly which version you had before. Hass has already done the grunt work, and usually has a few stock variants to try. I would pick the newest version first. See below for an example on my car:

https://ibb.co/1RprVsW

Last edited by dwsavenko; 05-15-2019 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0