E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Brand new front right speakers fuzzy.

09-28-2021, 12:06 AM   #1
Chrisguilday
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i

Brand new front right speakers fuzzy.

Hey guys, just recently picked up a 2011 E93 - 110k miles.

The car has the crappy hi-fi system (S676) and I originally thought the front right speakers were blown, because that’s how they sound. All the other speakers work. I believe there has been a few moments that the rear speakers made a similar fuzzy noise, but I can’t be 100% certain.

I bought the bavsound speakers (No amp or subs) and just replaced the speakers, and the new speakers are doing the same thing. I wiggled every wire when installing the new speakers to see if there was a loose connection on the visible wires in the door. It didn’t make a difference.

When looking at the amp, it’s very clear that water has somehow leaked onto the amp previously. I unplugged it and inspected the terminals and they had mild rust, so I cleaned them. No difference.

Is it possible the amp is damaged by water and that would make just the front right corner mess up? Or would it make all the speakers mess up? Essentially, what are the odds it’s the amp since it has seen water? What else could it be? Some random wire somewhere else? The fuzzy noise is pretty much consistent 99.9% of the time. It doesn’t vary when wiggling wires / going over bumps etc.

Think maybe a junk yard would have an amp that I could get and test? Or what would be the next smartest step?

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 09-28-2021 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 01:56 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Water on the amp is one of the most common problems when the system
goes bad.
Ebay has Hi Fi amps for around 100 bucks.
You might be able to get one at a junk yard but they are on Ebay.
It's pretty much the only easy next step unless you want to
cut wires and reverse channel assignments which is not a good idea.
They are easy to replace there is a lever you throw on a single connector.
Have you fixed the leak cause it will happen again.
The thing is the stock amps are the weakest point in the BMW's
in the E9x.
Appreciate 0