E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I need opinions - Is this tire change machine damage??

04-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I need opinions - Is this tire change machine damage??

Okay I went to a shop I trust to go to when I can't do the work at home. I even fucking asked them if they do tire changes with low ish profile tire and all that without damage.

I get them here is what I see.

Photo album -->
View post on imgur.com

The interior is CLEARLY tire machine damage. What about the front? Are those rock chips? I know I had 1 or 2 chips but these gouges look so deep???

Plus, if he had the expensive tire machine wouldn't it grab thourgh the wheel hub and NOT on 4 sides inside the rim??? My friend used to change tires and that's what he's telling me, like he's not a noob but not an expert but it's true, on Hunter's website it shows a machine with a center hub holder.

I'm so pissed, I didn't take pictures before... I trusted this shop and they're great! But holy shit did they deceive me today man...

Maybe I'm over reacting and I did this damage or rock chips for the front stuff?

Please guys any opinions...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I'm no expert on rock chips, but that's too deep for a rock chip. More like a harsh curb rash or in this case poorly handling the tire change.

If you've been a good customer/regular then I would be calm about it and explain the situation.
Maybe ask for a refund on the cost of fixing them.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
I learned this the hard way. If you have wheels you value, make the manager or whoever's in charge, go over the wheels with you and note any damage prior to the work being done. Take pictures if needed. That way there's no question of who fucked up what. Sure it's a pain in the ass but wheels ain't cheap.
      04-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
I'm no expert on rock chips, but that's too deep for a rock chip. More like a harsh curb rash or in this case poorly handling the tire change.

If you've been a good customer/regular then I would be calm about it and explain the situation.
Maybe ask for a refund on the cost of fixing them.
Yeah I was calm on the phone and didn't try to be angry. I honnestly made myself look so sad and disapointed.

I'll be going back tomorrow but I just didn't want to be delusional here and thinking the front damage was done by me... I would have recalled seeing chips big like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
I learned this the hard way. If you have wheels you value, make the manager or whoever's in charge, go over the wheels with you and note any damage prior to the work being done. Take pictures if needed. That way there's no question of who fucked up what. Sure it's a pain in the ass but wheels ain't cheap.
Dude you know I will be doing this the rest of my life now... even in this shop I trusted dearly. No questions about it.

Guess I had to learn it the hard way haha...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Yup, same here. Damaged my like new VMR's and tried to say they were like that. Uhhh no I just bought these and they had no chips on them lol. Lesson learned, take plenty of detailed pics and be sure to point out to the workers/managers the condition prior to the work.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Yup, same here. Damaged my like new VMR's and tried to say they were like that. Uhhh no I just bought these and they had no chips on them lol. Lesson learned, take plenty of detailed pics and be sure to point out to the workers/managers the condition prior to the work.
Did you get them repaired or just had them like that?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
gertrude1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3351

Angry TYRE Change Machine Damage

Fully sympathise with what's happened to you.
Here in the UK we have the same problems.over and over.
Six years ago I washed and cleaned the car plus all Run-Flat wheels before going to Fitting Place for two new rear tyres.
Fitter was struggling to get the tyres off,and some non-employee friends of his used a tyre wrench to lever the tyres off.
Didn't think to inspect the wheels as it was my first time tyre change for run-flats.Noticed huge gouge marks on outer rim surfaces of both wheels on reaching home.Rang the Manager who asked me to take the car in to show him the damage.
Well as expected he was in denial.Another hunky mechanic who was not even involved with the tyre change also came out in support of the fitter.
Cut a long story short contacted the Head Office who passed the matter on to their local area Manager,who initially was also in denial.But when I threatened to escalate the matter to their CEO he asked me to email photos to him.
This time he accepted liability and agreed to pay £280 for refurbs at main BMW Garage.Lot of distress caused.
Next tyre change for fronts two tears later,I went to another Fitting place.Told them to inspect the car and wheels before starting the job,which they did.
They then delegated the job to a very young apprentice,who after about five minutes ,came out to me with a worried look,holding the complete wheel telling me that the gouge mark was already there.I called out to the one who examined my Car and wheels before the car was driven in to the Bay.
AND what he said to me was "I only inspected the vehicle bodywork and not the wheels".Manager came out and supported the two muppets.Anyway they took extra care on the second wheel,allocating two experienced employees,and the tyre change was professionally done.
In the end Manager deducted the cost of refurbishment from the cost of 4 wheel alignment which was carried out before the tyre changes.
So please take photos beforehand of all wheels in the presence of the fitting shop employee or Manager.Take photo of the employee who inspected the wheels prior to fitting.It's a cruel world out there.I still become distressed when I think about my past experiences.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertrude1 View Post
Fully sympathise with what's happened to you.
Here in the UK we have the same problems.over and over.
Six years ago I washed and cleaned the car plus all Run-Flat wheels before going to Fitting Place for two new rear tyres.
Fitter was struggling to get the tyres off,and some non-employee friends of his used a tyre wrench to lever the tyres off.
Didn't think to inspect the wheels as it was my first time tyre change for run-flats.Noticed huge gouge marks on outer rim surfaces of both wheels on reaching home.Rang the Manager who asked me to take the car in to show him the damage.
Well as expected he was in denial.Another hunky mechanic who was not even involved with the tyre change also came out in support of the fitter.
Cut a long story short contacted the Head Office who passed the matter on to their local area Manager,who initially was also in denial.But when I threatened to escalate the matter to their CEO he asked me to email photos to him.
This time he accepted liability and agreed to pay £280 for refurbs at main BMW Garage.Lot of distress caused.
Next tyre change for fronts two tears later,I went to another Fitting place.Told them to inspect the car and wheels before starting the job,which they did.
They then delegated the job to a very young apprentice,who after about five minutes ,came out to me with a worried look,holding the complete wheel telling me that the gouge mark was already there.I called out to the one who examined my Car and wheels before the car was driven in to the Bay.
AND what he said to me was "I only inspected the vehicle bodywork and not the wheels".Manager came out and supported the two muppets.Anyway they took extra care on the second wheel,allocating two experienced employees,and the tyre change was professionally done.
In the end Manager deducted the cost of refurbishment from the cost of 4 wheel alignment which was carried out before the tyre changes.
So please take photos beforehand of all wheels in the presence of the fitting shop employee or Manager.Take photo of the employee who inspected the wheels prior to fitting.It's a cruel world out there.I still become distressed when I think about my past experiences.
Holy shit man that's bad.

I guess my best hope is to get them repaired for free then.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Took my e46 in to one of the two supposedly best BMW shops
in town for some Tire Rack tires. They had a special new machine
to do low profiles. Every tire scratched right at the rims all the way
around.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Did you get them repaired or just had them like that?
Just got a paint pen from VMR and touched them up. Note that they didn't gouge them like yours though, just a bunch of chips in the finish. Probably wouldn't have been worth it to refinish them since I had got a killer deal on the rims. Shop definitely wasn't going to reimburse me in any way.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

I have random pictures from the last week and a half and you can see no major gouges show up. These damages are fresh. I know my pics are not the best but you can see how at least one rear wheel has basically zero visible damage from 3 meters away and now if I take a picture 3 meters a way you can see the huge friggin gouges that were left.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #13
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah you can clearly see there were no gouges in the rims in your pics. I hope they take care of you.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Yeah you can clearly see there were no gouges in the rims in your pics. I hope they take care of you.
Thanks I hope the owner realizes once he saw it as well. On the phone he said the machine never touches the face of the wheel so he thinks probably nothing happened but when he sees in person hopes he realizes oh wow maybe something did F up and it touched the front.

At least now I have somewhat tangible evidence...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Looks like a very soft paint finish or too hasty of a fitter. I usually lube the rim face to minimise this. The marks correspond with the normal direction of stretching the tyre bead over the rim. Some tyres also have a stiffer/serrated edge which can contribute to these marks.

The inner barrel marks are definitely from an old style machine which bites the inside of the rim. Not many shops have the newer hub holding machines yet.

Nobody should be levering tyres off against the rim. You lever against the foot on the old style machines
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #16
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Yep. This happened to me once. They wouldn't budge on fixing it, claimed it was a bad finish. The guy who painted the wheels fixed it for free for me. He said he hears that all the time and shops never claim fault.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Yep. This happened to me once. They wouldn't budge on fixing it, claimed it was a bad finish. The guy who painted the wheels fixed it for free for me. He said he hears that all the time and shops never claim fault.
Honestly if we can't sort this out I think touch up paint at least would be ok for me... can't really see it from a few meters.

Problem is matching the paint exactly. This wheel is kind of between matte and gloss, more satin. I guess I would have to contact wheel manufacturer, which is avant garde.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:43 AM   #18
Nightmare38oh1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Being in the tire and wheel industry for the past 12 years, I can say yes. The inside barrel is most definitely from a changer. The top portion on the face is questionable. It depends on what type of changer he’s using. Some of it does appear to be small amount of curb rash. Or whoever mounted them used rocks to dismount it. If the changer touch points aren’t nylon or plastic then it’s certainly possible.

Just go talk to the manager in a calm fashion. Getting upset and throwing threats isn’t going to get you anywhere. See if he’ll help at least with a refinish. If not then I guess you learned a very hard and frustrating lesson to document pics before and after.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #19
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

There is a problem with the tire mounting/dismounting machines.

The roller that takes out or fits in the tire normally is made out of some rubber/plastic component so as not to damage the rim. The issue is that that part breaks after so many tire mountings/dismountings. That part is not very cheap. Most of tire shops in order to save money, use a steel roller. That one damages the wheel. The best of case: takes the paint off the rim. Worst of case: gauges the rim, effectively shaving it.

I had no idea about it, until one day, when my trusted indy pulled me in his shop to show me his new tire machine, and explaining me this exact issue. he told that he will never ever go the steel roller path, because it damages clients wheels and then his reputation.

So whenever stepping in a tire shop, just go and check that roller. If it's steel, walk.

e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

If anyone interested the euro shop accepted to repair. Sand, fill and paint repair. So I'm happy for that.

They did show me the machine and it has black plastic/rubber covers on the point so I agree I couldn't really understand how... and the marks don't really go in the way... but when I took 'em off my car there were no gouges like that, I even wrapped them in my tire condoms haha (tire totes) face up. No way a gouge would happen, both rims weren't sitting on each other.

So at this point we are still unsure what the source of it are... but next time I change tires wherever it is pics will be taken!
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #21
gertrude1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3351

TYRE Change Machine Damage

Pleased for you ...hope that you will be satisfied with the end result.
Inspect the work thoroughly when you go and collect the car after refurb is complete.

I had to get the bodyshop to redo both rear wheels on my car because the original gouge marks were not properly filled in and were stll visible when I went to collect the car.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #22
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

I normally stand awkwardly right by the chain that stops customers from going inside and watch over the tire shop tech change out my tires. No pressure (pun intended).
Appreciate 0