E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Catastrophic errors yesterday - got stranded!

05-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330D Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Download ISTA-D Rheingold.

It's alot more user friendly that INPA / Tool32. No offence but I think it will suit your needs better.

Battery should be registered. If you are changing the amperage then car will need coding:

If you are unsure on the history of your car, using NCS-Expert check your VO to see what battery it's coded for. These are the following codes you might come across:

VO CODE // TYPE // CAPACITY
VO B046 // BATT_46AH //46 Ah-Batterie
VO B055 // BATT_55AH //55 Ah-Batterie
VO B070 // BATT_70AH //70 Ah-Batterie
VO B080 // BATT_80AH //80 Ah-Batterie
VO B090 // BATT_90AH //90 Ah-Batterie
VO B110 // BATTERIE_110AH //110 Ah-Batterie
VO A070 // BATT_AGM_70AH //70 Ah-AGM Batterie
VO A080 // BATT_AGM_80AH //80 Ah-AGM Batterie
VO A090 // BATT_AGM_90AH //90 Ah-AGM Batterie

I don't think e9x chassis uses above 90a from factory? E6x does.

If your VO has B090 and you want for example to put in an AGM 90a battery then you need to delete B090 and then add A090. Then using Expertmode code the CAS module to default. That it battery coded.

Then you register the battery. It's a simple process in Rheingold.
Hi Sensible

Thankfully the car is fixed now after sorting out that it was bad map data!

I'd like to code and register the new battery I have (yuasa YBX5019) which is 900cca and 100ah.

Am I right in thinking Rheingold will only allow me to register a new battery the same spec as it had previously, but to code the different spec I HAVE to use NCS expert?

Just want to be clear. I've never used NCS expert so I'll be very wary about doing this and will look up the basics.

Looks like on your list it goes from 90ah to 110ah but no option for 100ah so that could be an issue maybe?

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #24
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Hi,

Glad it has been sorted. What is your car setup for at the moment. Open NCS expert and do read your CAS or FA (VO). At the end of your VO a long list will be a battery option for example.... -B090 which is a 90a non-agm battery. If you VO already matches the current battery you don't need to change the coding. Just registration.

The battery option is defined in the CAS module. For e9x the following options are available under function:

KLASSE_BATTERIE - Code taken direct from inside CAS.

Code:
KLASSE_BATTERIE                 00101107 (01)                 FF                            BATTERY TYPE                                                                                                                                                                     
    wert_00                         00                            00                            value 00                                                                                                                                                                     !(BATT_46AH,BATT_55AH,BATT_70AH,BATT_80AH,BATT_90AH,BATT_AGM_70AH,BATT_AGM_80AH,BATT_AGM_90AH)
    80ah                            01                            01                            80 ampere-hours                                                                                                                                                              BATT_80AH
    90ah                            02                            02                            90 ampere-hours                                                                                                                                                              BATT_90AH
    110ah                           03                            03                            110 ampere-hours                                                                                                                                                             
    70ah                            04                            04                            70 ampere-hours                                                                                                                                                              BATT_70AH
    55ah                            05                            05                            55 ampere-hours                                                                                                                                                              BATT_55AH
    46ah                            06                            06                            46 ampere-hours                                                                                                                                                              BATT_46AH
    40ah_agm                        0B                            0B                            40 ampere-hours (agm)                                                                                                                                                        
    70ah_agm                        07                            07                            70 ampere-hours (agm)                                                                                                                                                        BATT_AGM_70AH
    90ah_agm                        08                            08                            90 ampere-hours (agm)                                                                                                                                                        BATT_AGM_90AH
    60ah_agm                        09                            09                            60 ampere-hours (agm)                                                                                                                                                        
    80ah_agm                        0A                            0A                            80 ampere-hours (agm)                                                                                                                                                        BATT_AGM_80AH
    105ah_agm                       0C                            0C
As you can see there is no 100a battery. I don't know why. I think 90a may be maximum as I know BMW now use 95a / 92a agm batteries but still set coding at 90a. If it were me id choose B090 as the option. Unless anyone else knows different? Once you have changed the FA (VO) in NCSexpert recode CAS module using expertmode profile.

Registration is then very easy with Rheingold.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #25
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

bad map data? would you care to elaborate? i would like to learn from this really scary incident.

i was initially guessing for your JBE to be fried...
      05-12-2016, 02:45 AM   #26
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

I need to set up NCS Expert properly and watch a tutorial properly I think as I haven't used it before. Not sure if it needs certain profile files to go with it, or just the default 'Expert' one? Still got the old battery in at the minute so no rush to sort this anyway.

Jozy, the problem was that apparently my car had already been mapped, so when I tried uploading the superchips bluefin map, they say the original file had some parameters changed that they wouldn't normally expect to be messed with (they didn't get specific) but that this had caused a problem for their map.

I found other examples of this online when I looked too. Anyway, they have been extremely helpful and provided updated files to get me back running and to confirm the cause for themselves so they could adapt their own files to work correctly for me.

Good bunch to deal with - very efficient. Just wish I had got onto them quicker instead of faffing about thinking something had genuinely died on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 04:00 AM   #27
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

glad to hear! thank god they could solve the issue instead of making you buy a new ECU
      05-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #28
335MRod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i xdrive black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervJim View Post
I need to set up NCS Expert properly and watch a tutorial properly I think as I haven't used it before. Not sure if it needs certain profile files to go with it, or just the default 'Expert' one? Still got the old battery in at the minute so no rush to sort this anyway.

Jozy, the problem was that apparently my car had already been mapped, so when I tried uploading the superchips bluefin map, they say the original file had some parameters changed that they wouldn't normally expect to be messed with (they didn't get specific) but that this had caused a problem for their map.

I found other examples of this online when I looked too. Anyway, they have been extremely helpful and provided updated files to get me back running and to confirm the cause for themselves so they could adapt their own files to work correctly for me.

Good bunch to deal with - very efficient. Just wish I had got onto them quicker instead of faffing about thinking something had genuinely died on the car.
Hey, I have exactly the same issues on my car right now. Do you know how it was fixed?
      05-24-2017, 01:39 AM   #29
DervJim
Private First Class
Rep

Are you trying to use a bluefin remap mate?

The solution for me was just a different set of map files that they provided once I explained the fault to them and they looked at my old 'original' map and compared it to a genuine standard one.

Don't know what the problem parameters were, but I think they must have added in some missing data or suchlike. Behaved perfectly once I loaded up the new files they provided.

Good luck with yours mate
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #30
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335MRod View Post
Hey, I have exactly the same issues on my car right now. Do you know how it was fixed?
give us more details pls, after what event did it start acting like that?

as you see OP has uploaded modified map and it started after that, what was in your case?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #31
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Im having a similar problem with my early build 335i. (09/06). Except i caused the problem...

Long story short, i thought I had the battery terminals disconnected in the trunk, but the battery was reconnected the previous night to shut the window. I hhad been doing a bunch of small random upgrades/fixes to the car and just forgot i did that/wasn't thinking

So one of the projects, while i had still had some of the interior apart, was a CCC to CIC I-Drive retrofit.
I already had the hvac panel, CCC head unit, and I drive control knob disconnected and out of the car.

So next step was the removal of the old CCC idrive screen/CID, and install of the newer CIC idrive screen. I had the old screen out, and i was working on swapping the pins from the OLD idrive screen's power connector to the NEW idrive screen's power connector.

The reason for this is because, the old screen uses an 8-pin style connector and the new screen a 6-pin (i believe). So you must move the wires from one connectors pins to the other connector pins, following a diagram.

So i removed the 4 wires (Pwr, Gnd, K-Can Low, K-Can-High) by pressing the release pins and slid the wires out all at once from the old connector. Now im working on this and not paying much attention to the wires themselves, as far as them touching each other. Because like i said earlier i thought battery was disconnected :'(

I think you see where this is going.... The wires touched together and shorted together basically. I quicklyy seperated the wires, but whatever "damage" that was caused, had already happened. Im unsure exactly which of the 4 wires, if not all of them, were all connected together for a sec or two.

Immediately after this happening, the Wipers went on by themselves at full speed, and i could hear a faint relay clicking every 5 sec's or so. I had to go an remove the battery terminal in the trunk just to get the wipers to stop going non-stop.

So after that i went into the fuse box in the interior and pulled the Wiper Relay. I put the wires for the CIC idrive screen correctly into the new connector, so that they couldn't short again, and i left the hvac and idrive parts unplugged.

I reconnected the battery and now i have no power to the interior. Most notably the instrument cluster is completely dead. I still hear the relay clicking. However if i put the key in, press the clutch down, and press the start button, the engine start right up.

After doing some looking into this i reconnected the old CCC head unit only & the HVAC control. The HVAC control panel does nothing. But if i push the volume knob on the idrive i can Mute/Unmute the radio and the speakers work fine.

Things that Work/Have Power:

Headlights work properly with Headlight switch & Key on
Lights for all switches when Headlights are on
DS window controls
Idrive system
DME - i guess
Dome & Map lights

Things that DO NOT Work/Have NO Power:

Instrument cluster - NO gauges/BC screen. No Tach or Temp Gauge while engine is running

Engine seems to be running in a default map, but haven't driven the car or let it run for more than 15 seconds

Control of PS window - *using PS window switch, PS window works if controlled from DS window switches

HVAC controls - nothing

Door Locks- they dont lock/unlock with key fob or Central Lock Button. *However Keyfob Unlock triggers interior lights/outside lights to turn on.

Worst of all - NO Communication with the Car thru the OBD2 port at all. With both Inpa I get a comm. error (ifh-003 i believe). This was not like this before. So now i can't even scan for fault codes..

Im pretty stumped on this, but any feedback i get from thru searching on google for people with similar issues i haven't found anyone witg the same exact problems, but from what I've looked into and researching bmw documents... Is possibly a K-Can line issue or a power supply issue.

My car is an early build US spec E92 335i 6mt (09/2006), with an IBS, no D-Can.

Because of Recalls on the newer version D-Can E90's and the Relay clicking, i already replaced the whole fuse box and JBE module, thinking i fried it somewhere inside it. After finishing, exact same issue's, no changes.

I also checked every spot on the car i could find where power should be and with my meter it all seems fine. Im getting +12vdc to the JBE main power lead, with no damage on the cable. Totally different connection style to the JBE then the recalled (03/2007+) build date cars. Its just a regular wire with an eye hole style connector that bolts directly to a stud that brings power into the fuse box.

Im getting proper voltage under the hood at the Jumper cable post, on both seperate Terminals as well.

I'm looking for some advice here because you seem nto have a lot of faults, it SEEMS my car is having such as things not having power and Communication Errors for the K Can Bus.

I have also disconnected the connector leads coming off of the IBS sensor on the negative terminal.

I checked all the fusable links on top of the battery in the red Distribution style block.

No water in battery area and those cables down low in the battery tray are still shiny SS.

What else should i look into? Is the car constantly waking up or trying to go to sleep? That's what i believe to be the cause of the Relay clicking. But i have no real way of knowing that for sure right now.

If anyone has ANY advice I would deeply appreciate it.

Also if anyone has a link to Ista-D / Rheingold download and install instructions that would be great help! Right now I can onky manage to use it with the BMW Coding V3 Virtual Machine setup, but the laptop i use doesn't work well with Virtual Box or Vmware, so its very time consuming and doesnt seem to work properly on my laptop.

I have Inpa installed on my laptop. What i forgot to mention is i can get the 2 Black Dot's for Battery & Ignition to respond properly to proper Engine Start Button press after inserting key. (Hard to tell with no working gauge cluster if the ignition is on or not)...

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Anthony
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:20 AM   #32
Alsalek
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 2010, Mercedes x164

Garage List
2010 BMW e89  [0.00]
2010 BMW e80  [0.00]
00e704 error

Dear All,

Hope you're doing well.

I'm new to this & I appreciate your help on the below error using carly scanning tool for iphone

Error Code 00E704
K-CAN physical bus error/CAN low, physical bus error

ANY HELP. Battery been replaced a week ago
------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervJim View Post
Hey guys

A week ago I upgraded from my trusty 320D to an E91 (06) 330D tourer and I love it but yesterday while sitting in it, not driving, it went nuts with errors suddenly.

it pinged up a 'Central Electronics failure' saying not possible to continue journey etc. Car wasn't running but I tried starting it and it started ok.

But then it came up with "Caution Engine Alert" (Engine will start at next press of button, possibly without pressing clutch or brake).

Here's the problem though - the first error suggested it wouldn't run, but did, and the second one suggested it WOULD start, but wouldn't. No combination of trying to start it would to. No cranking over, no clicking solenoid, nothing.

Have connected an OBD cable and tried INPA and when clearing errors it comes up with 29 - DSC "error_ecu_request_correctly_received__response_pe nding", and says 'Running' at the bottom of the screen but doesn't do anything further.

At various points today since then the CCC system has flashed up DSC/ABS faults, and Tyre pressure monitoring faults.

My pal came to help and we checked a load of fuses relating to all the things relating to engine/start button/DSC/brakes etc. Most of them actually - all fine.

Tried disconnecting battery and the "Caution Engine Alert" fault is still there after 15 minutes disconnected.

So we tried to bump start the car and it fire up no problem! BUT, the fans are running full tilt with cold engine, and some readings I was getting through an OBD app (Carly BMW) are way off. E.g. as soon as it was running it said oil temp was about 115C (bullshit), and level of 15% (again bullshit as I checked the night before and checked it there & then). Fan shows as zero. So I drove it home after watching it for a bit, and engine temp only got to about 67 tops (due to fans I presume) and the fans were still on when I got home, but otherwise drove fine.

Soon as I turned off and tried to start again, same fault. No starter activity.

I have sent a report from Carly BMW app with errors, and it has mentions under different modules of:

General Bus cable fault
CAN LOW ERROR
Communication CAN Low
CAN-BUS error
Central control timeout
CAN-Low, Physical bus error

Junction Box Passenger / Beifahrer:
- Fault: Short circuit to positive or open circuit - additional water pump
- Code: 00A6D1
- Fault: K CAN LOW LINE
- Code: 00C904
- Fault: Bistable relay
- Code: 00A731

Line fault detection K-CAN
CAN fault

And under "Central Control":
Bus low error rate / CAN physical error error

So I'm not well up on these sort of modern diagnostics, but it sort of smacks a lot of a general communication fault that's affecting a load of systems, so potentially one dodgy wire that carries a load of signals.

Was absolutely fine when I started it this morning and drove to work.

Really pissed off though that it's left me effectively stuck a week after buying it. Don't think at all this is any sort of dodgy seller as it's been perfect until today, then everything all at once.

Any ideas would be great fella thanks!

The full message I got from CarlyBMW was as follows - if anyone can help I'd be incredibly grateful thanks guys:

--->
iPhone Fault Report - Carly for BMW - 25.51 - 2016.04.22.1815 LV
ID1: 8C4092A8-2DC8-446C-9309-D78B1E350233-5737-00000CF5B78EDF2F-9d4 45-40-608 ID2: 3CEFFDBE-F58C-4D0E-BED8-DBEE006C557B-5737-00000CF5B78EE01F-12fe
2016-05-06 17:45:40
BASE: E91
BUILD-YEAR: 2006
MODEL: 330 d alle/all (44)
FAULTS: 23
ECUs: 20
BATTERY: 11.6V
DEPTH: Normal communication
SPEED: normal
CONNECT: (null)
VERSION: 9.3.1
DEVICE: >iPhone< >iPhone OS<