E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 problem inconstant acceleration - maybe cause of the eccentric shaft senor

07-13-2020, 02:42 AM   #1
Robin427
Rep
Drives: E91 325i

N52 problem inconstant acceleration - maybe cause of the eccentric shaft senor

Hi,

I'm new here, after many trouble free years with my E46 I bought a E91, 325i / 2005 / 93K miles. It has Vanos faults when i bought, but i read this is a common problem..so no worries at this time.
I changed the solenoids, faults came back - cleaned the check valves. Made a engine flush +new oil/filter/filtercap and replaced the checkvalves with new ones.
meanwhile i also went to a garage for changing ATM Oil +filter and gaskets.

I notice at constant speed and light throttle the accelertion is wavy, like one second it has power next it dont have ..very equaly like a sine curve.
with vanos faults and probably turned off camshaft shifting it dosent do this.

as next i got a Disa fault and a broken flap .. I replaced both Disa and the CVV
still had some missfires at idle so changed spark plugs and coils and a software update from bmw
now the idle is fine. just after first start it swings one or two times.

no fault codes at all
but it still do this wavy accleration (maybe somtimes a tiny choke at the first move after long idle when it shift second to third gear )
got a new maf senor - but no changes

I noticed a bit oil in the connector from the eccentric shaft sensor .. could this sensor cause the inconsistent power delivery without fault codes in the DME?
or am i on the wrong way searchig the problem in this direction
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I would re-check the disa valve connectors. If they weren't seated correctly it could explain the power dip in the mid range. When I rebuilt my 3stg IM I forgot to seat a plug connector and felt similar power inconsistencies. No error codes either.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Robin427
Rep

well, i will doublecheck this
but i dont think it's the Disa because i had ecxatly the same issues before the Disa 1 Flap broke + when i look at the values both Disa changes 0% 50% 100% while driving
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
Robin427
Rep

update:

checked the Disa connectors = OK

drove with disconect the ESS connector = still wavy acceleration ((

but beside the ESS Codes i got the 2A87 Vanos code again..with new solenoids and new check valves - which are clean ( i removed and check immediately )

so i assume its the camshaft bearing problem ..?

Last edited by Robin427; 07-14-2020 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin427 View Post
update:

checked the Disa connectors = OK

drove without the ESS connector = still wavy acceleration ((

but gut beside the ESS Codes i got the 2A87 Vanos code again..with new solenoids and new check valves - which are clean ( i removed and check)

so i assume its the camshaft bearing problem ..?
Assume the Vanos solenoids were BMW? I've tried the knock-offs and didn't have any success.

ESS could definitely cause those issues, so if there is a bunch of oil in there, it may be time for a Valve cover replacement. Something also to check is for vacuum leaks: CCV, etc.

Another thing you could try is unhooking the MAF sensor. Your car will run fine without it, but you may throw a code in between. When the MAF goes bad, the values it throws out can give you hiccups and long starts. Disconnect the cable at the MAF and take her for a spin.

I thought 325i only had 1 DISA, so I assume you've done a 3IM swap. If MAF is the issue, consider running the MAFless tune from Bimmerlabs (instead of replacing the MAF).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
Robin427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Assume the Vanos solenoids were BMW? I've tried the knock-offs and didn't have any success.

ESS could definitely cause those issues, so if there is a bunch of oil in there, it may be time for a Valve cover replacement. Something also to check is for vacuum leaks: CCV, etc.

Another thing you could try is unhooking the MAF sensor. Your car will run fine without it, but you may throw a code in between. When the MAF goes bad, the values it throws out can give you hiccups and long starts. Disconnect the cable at the MAF and take her for a spin.

I thought 325i only had 1 DISA, so I assume you've done a 3IM swap. If MAF is the issue, consider running the MAFless tune from Bimmerlabs (instead of replacing the MAF).
unfortunately not BMW, i use the VAICO (made in Germany) not the chinese ones, what expiriences did you had with the not BMW ones?

honestly for my feeling its really possible a camshaft topic,
solenoid or bearing

it was just a bit of oil in the connector ,and today was the same issue without valvetronic

maybe because its a european model - i have 2 disa from factory
N52B25 engine 218hp

i already did the MAF disconnect, it was a bit better without so i replaced it
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:24 AM   #7
Robin427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post

in my expectation turning off valvetronic with disconcting the connector should change the behavior from the engine in case the oily sensor makes the problems.

having still the same issues was a bit disappointing, and let me doubt a bit the ESS is the cause..
on the other hand i've read in other posts
the ESS can make such problems even without Codes in the DME
disconnecting the ESS can amke Vanos Faults as well in the DME <- can someone confirm this ?

i just want to be a bit sure ( after putig a lot money already ) bevore i buyy this not realy cheap sensor

Last edited by Robin427; 07-14-2020 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:51 AM   #8
vibroluxious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 3281 X-Drive

I chased this very issue on my wife's X3 with an N52 motor. In the end, it was the ESS. The issue was resolved after replacing it. If it has oil in the connector, the oil is leaking up from inside the sensor and causing it to go wonky. Try gently cleaning the oil out of the connector and sensor with MAF cleaner and compressed air. Drive the car after doing so and see if it improves. The issue may not go away fully but if it is better, replace the sensor. You'll need to remove the valve cover in any case to replace it so at that point you'll also be able to inspect the rest of the system for issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:10 AM   #9
Robin427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibroluxious View Post
I chased this very issue on my wife's X3 with an N52 motor. In the end, it was the ESS. The issue was resolved after replacing it. If it has oil in the connector, the oil is leaking up from inside the sensor and causing it to go wonky. Try gently cleaning the oil out of the connector and sensor with MAF cleaner and compressed air. Drive the car after doing so and see if it improves. The issue may not go away fully but if it is better, replace the sensor. You'll need to remove the valve cover in any case to replace it so at that point you'll also be able to inspect the rest of the system for issues.
thank you for sharing your expirience!

i assume your X3 had the issue also without faultcodes ?

and yes i remember after cleaning the connector it was better, but only for the first 3 or 4 miles so i didn't value
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
vibroluxious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 3281 X-Drive

Quote:
thank you for sharing your expirience!

i assume your X3 had the issue also without faultcodes ?
The car had an occasional exhaust cam VANOS code. It's been about a year since I had this issue so I don't recall the exact code. For the most part though, it was code free.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #11
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
What vanos codes are you getting? Just 2a87? Did you do the oil and filter change yourself?

If you took it to a garage the first thing I'd check is take off the oil filter cap and check that the basket that holds the oil filter in place aswell as all the o rings are there since this can leak oil pressure back to the pan if not in place and cause vanos codes. Did you feel your check valves moved around when you took them out and cleaned them? They're supposed to keep oil in the vanos system when turned off. Swap the solenoids around and make sure you didn't cross the connectors.

What valvetronic codes are you getting? If there's oil in the sensor and your valve cover looks like it's seeping a bit it might be time to do both at once. If not you can replace the motor with a good used one and see what changes
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:42 AM   #12
Robin427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
What vanos codes are you getting? Just 2a87? Did you do the oil and filter change yourself?

If you took it to a garage the first thing I'd check is take off the oil filter cap and check that the basket that holds the oil filter in place aswell as all the o rings are there since this can leak oil pressure back to the pan if not in place and cause vanos codes. Did you feel your check valves moved around when you took them out and cleaned them? They're supposed to keep oil in the vanos system when turned off. Swap the solenoids around and make sure you didn't cross the connectors.

What valvetronic codes are you getting? If there's oil in the sensor and your valve cover looks like it's seeping a bit it might be time to do both at once. If not you can replace the motor with a good used one and see what changes
usually i get no codes (since i changed the solenoids and the check valves), i got the 2A87 only once while driving with disconnected ESS additional to the 3 ESS codes.

yes I did the change by myself and i replaced the Cap because the basket wasn't connected to the cap
the check valves don't move around, they fit in the holes like the old ones i replaced

the main problem still is at very light throttle, the car slow down and speed up permanently like a sine curve
as well in S-mode or after manual downshift in high revs
and occasionally hiccup when i drive off traffic lights
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #13
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post

usually i get no codes (since i changed the solenoids and the check valves), i got the 2A87 only once while driving with disconnected ESS additional to the 3 ESS codes.

yes I did the change by myself and i replaced the Cap because the basket wasn't connected to the cap
the check valves don't move around, they fit in the holes like the old ones i replaced

the main problem still is at very light throttle, the car slow down and speed up permanently like a sine curve
as well in S-mode or after manual downshift in high revs
and occasionally hiccup when i drive off traffic lights
You should measure your vanos cam and ess actual vs commanded positions with inpa. I had wavey acceleration issues with brand new vaico solenoids and brand new pierburg solenoids. Genuine bmw solenoids solves my issue. The genuine vanos solenoid has a very tight tolerance from my measurements.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
Robin427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
You should measure your vanos cam and ess actual vs commanded positions with inpa. I had wavey acceleration issues with brand new vaico solenoids and brand new pierburg solenoids. Genuine bmw solenoids solves my issue. The genuine vanos solenoid has a very tight tolerance from my measurements.
thanks for sharing your experience with the non OEM Solenoids
i will check this
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #15
Robin427
Rep

unfortunately i haven't inpa but i checked it with "carly"
first the exhaust side has some random differences around 10 degerees for a second between is and should be

after swap the solenoid the intake side had this differences

probably one of the new solenoids is not right
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 12:48 AM   #16
Robin427
Rep

Update

changing the eccentric shaft sensor does not solve the problem :/
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:49 AM   #17
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Well you already saw a solenoid problem with one of them so I'd tackle that first
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:04 AM   #18
Robin427
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
it seems it was the same situation here

yesterday i replaced the vaico with oem solenoids, and until now i cant feel wavy acceleration

thanks everyone here for helping
Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00