E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

12-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #573
dustinthemost
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Morning folks.

I'm about to pull the trigger on either the andream CIC unit here:

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...34511422488739

or the avin unit here

https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-n...1-e92-e93.html

price is "roughly" the same but i've read through this thread and i'm still unsure which one to choose.

According to my VIN decoder I have the 752 individual audio system so according to the post above i WOULD be using the aux. I've read that those using it have had mixed reviews, but overall its adequate assuming i'm not some huge audiophile. Which i'm not. I do want it to sound good.

i'm plan on using the backup camera trunk pull replacement thingy as well. the avin unit has a wireless version it appears so i'm curious how well that works vs the wired one in the andream.

Anything you guys know about that should push me one way or the other? Or are their other options out there i'm missing?

I have an e93 M3 btw. not sure if the convertible makes installation different or more difficult or whatever either.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #574
nolaman1970
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have an E93 M3 with a Avin unit.
Use the wired reverse camera, the wireless one didn't work very well.
Wired front facing rear view mirror mounted camera, wireless tire pressure sensors, I disabled my factory TPMS a long time ago, probably older than the one you are looking at.
The only thing for me that is annoying, when I press my M button on the steering wheel, the car goes back to the CIC display car screen.
I then have to touch the Avin unit screen to bring it back.
Other than that, look for my posts on Page 18, how not to push the MOST fiber connections into the Radio when you plug the huge plug back in.
I had to go to the dealer to get this fixed, because I didn't know what was wrong. The head unit is a real tight fit with the added cables and splitter, you need to take the glove box out to pull the cables to the side. Camera wiring is easy under the plastic door foot jam, back toward the trunk, under the top trunk liner to the license plate. You may need to scan for codes and clear them after installing the unit. I get an antenna one still, but you may have more after first install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinthemost View Post
Morning folks.

I'm about to pull the trigger on either the andream CIC unit here:

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...34511422488739

or the avin unit here

price is "roughly" the same but i've read through this thread and i'm still unsure which one to choose.

According to my VIN decoder I have the 752 individual audio system so according to the post above i WOULD be using the aux. I've read that those using it have had mixed reviews, but overall its adequate assuming i'm not some huge audiophile. Which i'm not. I do want it to sound good.

i'm plan on using the backup camera trunk pull replacement thingy as well. the avin unit has a wireless version it appears so i'm curious how well that works vs the wired one in the andream.

Anything you guys know about that should push me one way or the other? Or are their other options out there i'm missing?

I have an e93 M3 btw. not sure if the convertible makes installation different or more difficult or whatever either.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #575
dustinthemost
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #576
brooks1005
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Coupe M Sport

Garage List
Has there been some kind of conclusion that android units are rolling out that DO NOT rely on the 3.5mm AUX-In for sound? I have a 2013 e92 CIC with the S688A system and I have not pulled the trigger due to the reported poor audio quality using the AUX under the armrest. I spent 30 minutes IM'ing back and forth with Teresa @AVIN tonight who said I don't have to use the AUX under the armrest but I do have to use the AUX. I mainly use my ipod or SiriusXM. We do have some good HD radio stations here but I spend most of my time on either of the two I listed earlier.
      12-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #577
EfiniMotorsport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi, Yukon Denali, 16 CRZ

Has anyone seen the Xtrons unit? It's the only one I've found that has front, rear and sub RCA output but also works with the fiber optic system. I was planning on scrapping the stock stereo system at some point and replacing it with a 5 channel amp, 12" sub and all new speakers. I'd also like to run my airbag suspension, JB4/MHD, Xdelete and a few other apps through one interface. They have different units for CIC, CCC and non nav cars.
https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-andro...b-rom-qb8060ci
Appreciate 1
Wingnutts132.50
      12-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #578
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Just finished the install on my e90 of the 10.25" screen on non-idrive car.

I have a question on the wireless reverse backup camera. Does anyone else have this problem. I go into reverse, I see the backup camera image, then I shift into drive and I STILL have the backup camera image up. It stays like this for 15 seconds +/- until it goes back to the menu. It might be a good feature if I had power to the camera after the reverse lights shut off, but that image stops so all I get is a snowy pictures for 15 seconds.

Is there a way to stop this behavior so once the car is in drive or park the AVIN returns to the main menu immedietly?

Some tips. You MUST use a relay, I asked AVIN support and they said I didn't, so I wastedmuch time unsoldering and resoldering wires in the trunk. Save the headache, do it out the gate. Also I would say the wireless camera is too big a PITA I would just go wired, the effort I thought I would save running through the car would have been less than the extra wiring needed for wireless, and its still not great (see above).

Another tip, you should have to disassemble very little to get to the AUX port. Put car in drive before you begin, then shut off the car. This does 2 things. It gives you more room to remove the factory stereo, and in that postiion if you squeeze the automatic shifter and pull up HARD it will remove. This makes popping off the trim pieces easier. Its not necessary to unplug any of the plastic wire connectors in the trim from stereo to arm rest, just move the panels aside as you run the wire. Last tip is the bottom of the arm rest console piece there is a rectanglar "pad". That simple lifts up from the bottom of the tray its not glued down and that reveals some factory holes you can use to run the AUX wire.

BTW the sound on my unit is fantastic. 2011 HiFi system. I listened to what everyone says online, DO NOT USE the splitter, period, go direct to the AUX in. Also trash the included 3.5 to 3.5 audio cable, I instead used a 6 foot SHD (?) SHIELDED audio cable from Amazon for under $10 to avoid any static. I haven't tried ditching the AUX line and relying on fiber optic yet but don't see why I would it sounds just like stock.

I also notcied my 2011 has the Sat cable prewired right into the BMW Professional radio so you can pickup that GPS signal right there with a splitter and not have to run wires from the trunk or use the included GPS puck. If you do use the puck you can put it in the center speaker plastic tray behind the screen under the plastic as plastic cannot block radio waves from the sats. You can mount upside down with the included tape or right side up sitting next to the speaker.

For the SIM card, its a micro not a nano so you must use an adapter I recommend a METAL one as the plastic adapters bend and could get stuck in the unit on insert.

Last edited by toy4two; 12-27-2020 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #579
nolaman1970
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I ran the wired reverse camera and it works perfectly. It was easy to run the cable. That's the only help I can provide. I have 2011 M3 DCT with an AVIN Unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #580
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaman1970 View Post
I ran the wired reverse camera and it works perfectly. It was easy to run the cable. That's the only help I can provide. I have 2011 M3 DCT with an AVIN Unit.
Do you have an automatic or manual?

Does the camera screen turn off immediately once shifting out of reverse?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #581
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
The speaker is probably your reverse beeper.
the speaker is so you can continue to hear navigation voice directions when swithced to factory FM radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #582
nolaman1970
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
DCT is automatic that can shift manually. It's not a manual with a manual clutch.
The camera turns off immediately when I switch into drive. I would run a wired camera. I really think your issue is the wireless and lag of time to switch it back to the main screen. But someone with a wireless camera would be more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #583
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

done with install. thanks to previous posters who put where they put their 4G antenna and GPS puck. I will add where a good place you can put your external mic which is pretty much mandatory for carplay or taking calls on the android unit. Ran mic cable thru back of cut out hole in dash and clipped it to the vent grill. Can’t see it from driving position can only see if you look from the front gets good audio off windshield from drivers seat.

pic

The left side of the screen just doesn’t sit flush and tight enough for me. it’s OK but i’ve seen this in others videos too. I laughed when someone said they would put a flush black trim screw through the left plastic trim but he is right. You would not see the screw and it would go right into the hard plastic. I think that is the only thing keeping my install from looking professional.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #584
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

AVIN support confirmed with their engineers that the wireless backup camera is behaving as it should, its has. 15s delay before returning to the main menu. Time to rip that POS out and run a cable from the trunk!

DO NOT BUY THE WIRELESS TRANSMITTER AND RECEIVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #585
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

backup camera woes continue

back at it yet again, its getting old tearing apart the dash, trunk, and now the trim from front to back. AVIN's instructions are worthless They have 4 documents on the rear view camera wiring all different, if you include the relay document.

I ripped out the wireless camera and installed the wired and the EXACT same behavior. The camera immedietly switches on and screen changes to backup view when put in reverse. I move to drive and it continues on the rear camera. I put in park it continues on the rear camera. After 15 seconds it finally returns to the normal screen. Definietly not immedietly.

I could go unsolder and redo the trunk side again this time with no relay and getting power off the red pigtail on the RCA but if this happens yet again I'm

Automatic e90 w/ AVIN 10.25 w/Snapdragon. For those who say your camera immedietly switches are you using a relay off the reverse lights or just depending on the power off the RCA pigtail?

AVIN support told me this is expected behavior on the wireless camera but the fact its doing it on the wired camera I'm thinking this has to be a software / setting problem. I have it set to Aftermarket camera and haven't touched anything else.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #586
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post
back at it yet again, its getting old tearing apart the dash, trunk, and now the trim from front to back. AVIN's instructions are worthless They have 4 documents on the rear view camera wiring all different, if you include the relay document.

I ripped out the wireless camera and installed the wired and the EXACT same behavior. The camera immedietly switches on and screen changes to backup view when put in reverse. I move to drive and it continues on the rear camera. I put in park it continues on the rear camera. After 15 seconds it finally returns to the normal screen. Definietly not immedietly.

I could go unsolder and redo the trunk side again this time with no relay and getting power off the red pigtail on the RCA but if this happens yet again I'm

Automatic e90 w/ AVIN 10.25 w/Snapdragon. For those who say your camera immedietly switches are you using a relay off the reverse lights or just depending on the power off the RCA pigtail?

AVIN support told me this is expected behavior on the wireless camera but the fact its doing it on the wired camera I'm thinking this has to be a software / setting problem. I have it set to Aftermarket camera and haven't touched anything else.
FINALLY fixed. You must select "360 camera" NOT "aftermarket camera" which is what support says you should use for an Automatic e90. Additionally you must disregard the instructions to connect the head unit "Camera 12V" to the red pigtail coming out of the RCA, you must connect the red pigtail to the Pink "Camera DET" wire. All this applies if you are using a relay.

Now I'm going to experiment and ditch the relay and power the camera via the "Camera 12V over the pigtail directly to the camera, this will require the AVIN to recognize on the CANBUS to switch the screen its in reverse and not use the reverse lights as a trigger, wonder if this is possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 01:18 AM   #587
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post
FINALLY fixed. You must select "360 camera" NOT "aftermarket camera" which is what support says you should use for an Automatic e90. Additionally you must disregard the instructions to connect the head unit "Camera 12V" to the red pigtail coming out of the RCA, you must connect the red pigtail to the Pink "Camera DET" wire. All this applies if you are using a relay.

Now I'm going to experiment and ditch the relay and power the camera via the "Camera 12V over the pigtail directly to the camera, this will require the AVIN to recognize on the CANBUS to switch the screen its in reverse and not use the reverse lights as a trigger, wonder if this is possible.
No go on bypassing relay and using power from the 12V off the head unit. The headunit has no idea when the car goes into reverse. It must get a signal from the reverse lights going on, its not smart enough to utilize the canbus to determine when to enable the backup camrea screen.

I'm happy enough with the relay, trigger wire, 360 camera setting solution. This system rocks. Install is a PITA but so worth it. Sounds quality is excellent, not sure if its the new digital audio converters in the Snapdragon units or the fact my car has a Combox installed or what but I hear zero loss compared to the stock setup. No static b/c I used a shielded 3.5 aux cable and avoided using the provided aux cable nor the splitter. If anyone in So Cal wants to check it out PM me.

Avin support is 2nd rate, but if you don't go with them you're on your own and that's even worse.

Last edited by toy4two; 12-31-2020 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #588
jimmer411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Anybody used this unit? Looks like Android 10 and utilizes the factory optical instead of aux for audio. I have CCC and Logic7 and really dont want to lose the use of my amp. I only use an iPod connected to the USB in the armrest for audo.

https://www.seicane.com/android-touc...fi-swc-s028210
      01-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #589
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep

talked to another avin buyer, he had the same wireless camera problems, said there is a defective batch that always sends positive signal. I would just go wired and avoid the headaches I went through, might be ok if you get a non defective one. but honestly its just easier to take apart the interior which sounds weird but its true.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #590
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer411 View Post
Anybody used this unit? Looks like Android 10 and utilizes the factory optical instead of aux for audio. I have CCC and Logic7 and really dont want to lose the use of my amp. I only use an iPod connected to the USB in the armrest for audo.

https://www.seicane.com/android-touc...fi-swc-s028210
Not sure where is says that? looks like you need add the optional adapter "Support BMW Original car's Optical Fiber Amplifier +US$129.00"
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:00 PM   #591
jimmer411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Not sure where is says that? looks like you need add the optional adapter "Support BMW Original car's Optical Fiber Amplifier +US$129.00"
Yup that part, and this section mentions it too.

Quote:
Please note: If the original car comes without AUX, then this unit cannot fit.
Or you need to active AUX for your car from your car dealer.
Or you need to buy the Optical Fiber Most BOX, please select the option " Support Original car's Optical Fiber Amplifier " when place order, then we will send you the optical fiber decoder most box.
      01-19-2021, 02:59 AM   #592
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Or you need to buy the Optical Fiber Most BOX, please select the option " Support Original car's Optical Fiber Amplifier " when place order, then we will send you the optical fiber decoder most box.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Someone posted about the xtron unit. Also plugs into fibre. My current android head unit has bad sound and is slow. I was about to drop 500 on a Bt Denison gateway. Surely this is a better solution

https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-andro...b-rom-qb8060ci
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #593
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I asked Avin Support for help. below is what I got.
1. "The MOST interface box is only if you are replacing the whole Idrive unit" - OK so now we have stablished that this guy knows nothing because their site explains that it takes the RCA output and directs it to the optical amp.
2. "Their new head-units only output through the aux" - if credible, then disappointing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #594
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I just received a much better response from Avin.

Thanks for your interest in our AVIN units.

The unit is compatible with the E90 Most.

Please check with these link:

https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...7-e88-e89.html

Save $15 OFF subtotal orders over $500 with coupon code: 15off_DEC

Save $40 OFF subtotal orders over $650 with coupon code: 40off_DEC

Perfect Integration
with Your Original BMW Infotainment System

AVIN's innovative system integrates with the factory radio. It retains all of the original factory features you enjoy including the ID controller, all steering wheel button controls, factory TPMS, the backup camera, parking radar sensors, factory 360 cameras, SiriusXM radio, DAB+ radio, and OEM microphone.

AVIN's exclusive AV8 custom UI and sophisticated design blend beautifully with your BMW's modern luxury interior. It is not only beautiful, but it also has the smarts to back it up too. It's packed with cutting edge technology and Google's latest Android OS. It also supports connection with the latest iPhones and Android phones.

It supports Wireless Apple CarPlay and USB Android Auto with our AutoPlay dongle.
https://avinusa.com/wireless-apple-c...b-adapter.html

​​I think I will start a new thread.

​​

The all-new Qualcomm Snapdragon Android 10 adds 4G SIM card support so you can have an always-on internet connection in your head unit without the need to connect to your phone. It also has better Bluetooth 4.1, and a larger 64GB internal storage. It also supports MPG MPH (Imperial) and KPH Liter (Metric). The PX6 system only supports KPH Liter (Metric).

The Qualcomm Snapdragon unit also has a new DSP sound processor for higher quality sound.

The HD 1920x720P screen resolution option is only available with the Qualcomm Snapdragon unit.

​​

There is two CPU platform to choose from:

Android™ 10
Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 CPU
Snapdragon™ X9 4G LTE modem
8x ARM Cortex A53, Octa-core CPU, Adreno™ 506 GPU
4GB RAM memory
64GB Internal Storage
API Level 29

-OR-

Android™ 9.0 Pie
6-core CPU PX6 (RK3399) - Dual-core ARM Cortex-A72 (CPU 1.8Ghz) MPCore processor and Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 (CPU 1.4Ghz) MPCore processor
2GB RAM memory
32GB Internal Storage
API Level 28

1. The factory MIC will only work on the original iDrive menu. It will not work on the Android menu. The new monitor has a built-in microphone that will only work on the Android menu. You can add an optional external microphone but that will only work on the Android menu too.

https://avinusa.com/bluetooth-hands-...icrophone.html

2. The engineers at BMW, Mercedes, and Audi designed and placed the high-quality OEM GPS antenna in the optimal location for best performance.

With our GPS splitter cable, you can continue to use your OEM GPS antenna with the factory navigation and share it with your new Android monitor.

https://avinusa.com/gps-splitter-cable.html

3. The AUX splitter cable allows you to plug in the Android monitor into the AUX input port under your armrest and also plug in the second device into AUX.

https://avinusa.com/3-5mm-aux-splitt...udio-jack.html

4. The backup camera will automatically switch to the camera mode when you put your car into reverse whether you are in the idrive or Android menu. It includes all the necessary cables to complete the backup camera install. We also have an optional wireless transmitter kit to make the install easier.

https://avinusa.com/24ghz-wireless-b...ansmitter.html

5. To read your cars OBD2 diagnostic and performance data you would need our WIFI OBD2 adapter.

https://avinusa.com/torque-compatible-wifi-obd2.html

6. Our TPMS-USB kit will display the tire pressure and temperature of each tire on the screen. If you have the OEM TPMS system then you do not need our TPMS kit.

https://avinusa.com/tpms-tire-pressu...ystem-usb.html

7. DAB+ is a digital radio for Europe. It does not work in North America.

8. The DVR dashcam will automatically record your driving and save the recording to the built-in sdcard reader.

If you ever have any questions or need any help feel free to message us here anytime.

Cheers,
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00