E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question About MULF2

12-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Question About MULF2

Hey guys, so almost a year ago went to a forum member (Glachman) to have my MULF2 installed in my 08 e92 335i to add USB to my car. So i didn't watch every single step so until now i didn't know. Keep in mind I'm a mechanic.

Recently i was experiencing some static and loss of sound in the speakers to all but the passenger side door, when only using the AUX input. So i went over all the connections in the trunk, all seemed solid.

After removing the whole middle console (front and rear) i found possibly the worst wiring job I've ever seen. Apparently, glachman felt wrapping the wires around each other a coupe of times and adding a sloppy couple bands of electrical tape to it, he considered it done.

So basically the wire originally coming from the back of my radio to the AUX socket was cut by him, instead of just being removed,(LAZY) and he ran a wire from the mulf in the trunk to the aux socket, but the wire consisted of what i spoke of above "spliced" or in my opinion, twisted together with a socket to go into my AUX socket.

I tried salvaging it as best i could, i brought home some butt connectors from work and tried but it seems to still be a bad connection.

My question is, is there a complete wire anyone knows of, either aftermarket or OEM that would be able to reach from the MULF2 in the trunk to the socket in my armrest, I've spend hours looking on both realoem.com and ecstuning, but with no avail.

I would appreciate any help and caution people from using glachman to do any type of work on their car as it appears he does half ass work to make a quick $150.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
glachhman2
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

A faulty connection between the mulf and front aux port would not cause one speaker to stop working. It would cause an entire side to stop working since its left right and ground. Removing the aux connection between the radio and factory aux isn't possible since it is built into the harness specific to the car. For a 'mechanic' your knowledge is pretty limited. You could have felt free to reach out to me directly instead of making a lame post, I have dozens of satisfied e90 members and I stand behind what I do.

Based on what you're saying it sounds like you need 3 female pins to be soldered onto the 3 conductor wire from the mulf2 and inserted into the 4 pin aux socket.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
mirkwo0dforest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT Sport/Prem

DAYUM.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman2 View Post
A faulty connection between the mulf and front aux port would not cause one speaker to stop working. It would cause an entire side to stop working since its left right and ground. Removing the aux connection between the radio and factory aux isn't possible since it is built into the harness specific to the car. For a 'mechanic' your knowledge is pretty limited. You could have felt free to reach out to me directly instead of making a lame post, I have dozens of satisfied e90 members and I stand behind what I do.

Based on what you're saying it sounds like you need 3 female pins to be soldered onto the 3 conductor wire from the mulf2 and inserted into the 4 pin aux socket.
actually as i said in my post, the ONLY speakers to work are the passenger side, so you proved yourself right, an entire side did stop working. If you stand behind what you do, you wouldn't use a shitty splice job, i have had forum members who read this post already contact me about custom made cables that run from the MULF2 to the AUX socket, so if you were so "professional" you would have just installed that instead of some unevenly wrapped electrical tape and bad wiring.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegoo_NYC View Post
actually as i said in my post, the ONLY speakers to work are the passenger side, so you proved yourself right, an entire side did stop working. If you stand behind what you do, you wouldn't use a shitty splice job, i have had forum members who read this post already contact me about custom made cables that run from the MULF2 to the AUX socket, so if you were so "professional" you would have just installed that instead of some unevenly wrapped electrical tape and bad wiring.
I built a custom AUX cable when I did my CIC/Combox retrofit. All you need is the crimp-on pins and any 3 wire cable. Pin one side and insert into the connector on the USB/Aux port and pin the other side and insert into the MULF/Combox harness.

It's maybe ~10-15 in parts (if you buy the BMW pin connectors, you can probably get them much cheaper through a generic electronics supply house).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

side track a little but there are 4 pins going into the mulf2 for aux. left, right, ground and shield. is the "shield" important at all?