E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335iS DCT Broken Drive Shaft

10-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #45
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Wheel hop at the drag strip. Toldem it happened on the street but I'm sure all the rocks stuck to the tires dident help my story

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #46
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
It was a matter of time when it was going to happen. With the addition of aftermarket downpipes came the increase in torque.

So yes, and becareful, 450 wtq is the shaft breaking point.

I broke mine tonight at the track perhaps mostly due to wheel hop
So you broke your driveshaft because of wheelhop, not because 450wtq did it in. Wheelhop will KILL driveline parts regardless of how much power you're putting down.
      10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #47
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
So you broke your driveshaft because of wheelhop, not because 450wtq did it in. Wheelhop will KILL driveline parts regardless of how much power you're putting down.
I did break mine in 3rd gear on the street. But it had experienced a lot of wheel hop previously as I drag race a lot, plus a few hundred hard launches.

My 2nd one has been holding up fine though and it has experienced 470-500wtq from day one. It has only felt a little wheel hop as my drag radials have eliminated most of it.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #48
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

How are the ones from the drive shaft shop holding up?

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #49
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Agreed.....however you cannot rule out the added power that "contributes" to the wheelhop when you surpass what the orginal symmetrical design of the suspension can handle or the power lvl it was designed for

When I was stock, even when using the standard LC, I saw no wheelhop. On my previous tune I got little to no wheelhop. My current tune, wheelhop is just about eminent now unless I inchi the gas peddle.

Lesson learned, when significantly adding more power, suspension should be upgraded also if your intending to drag

More power leads to progressive wheelhop that leads to suspension damage
Appreciate 0