E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Frankencar Water-Damaged 2008 BMW 330i E92 M-Sport: DME and ABS/DSC woes

03-31-2024, 02:26 PM   #1
Eoin92
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330i n53

Frankencar Water-Damaged 2008 BMW 330i E92 M-Sport: DME and ABS/DSC woes

Hey everyone on the forum, just joining (long time reader),

I've taken on a project car - 2008 330i E92 M-Sport (N53 engine), which I picked up in a non-running state due to water damage.

2008 330i E92 M-Sport N53 VIN(PY15088)

I started by replacing the window seal, fuse box, and damaged connectors.

Unfortunately, the DME was beyond repair, so I sourced a CAS, key, and DME from an E93 325i (also with an N53 engine)VIN(JV79376). I managed to get everything coded to my car using ISTA, INPA, and a custom 330i map from Bimmerlabs/Profs via WinKFP.

While following through the DME relay issues discussed here on the forum, I didn't find much on bypassing or permanent activation solutions that worked for me.

My workaround involved powering the necessary circuits from the accessory fuse, but now I'm facing an absence of ABS/DSC connectivity to the DME.

Error codes are indicating issues with the stability control system and footwell module, ranging from hydraulic unit calibration faults to a short circuit at the front door contacts and a faulty reversing light.

Currently my list of dtc codes are -

STABILITY CONTROL
5DD2Hydraulic unit: calibration, DSC unit (valves)
5DD0 Hydraulic unit: calibration, DSC unit (valves]
5DF0 Hydraulic unit: pump motor
5DF1 Hydraulic unit: pump motor connector faulty
5E19 Engine management: interface
FOOTWELL MODULE
9CBC short circuit at front door contacts
A8C2 Reversing light, right, faulty

In an effort to resolve these, I've replaced and coded the SZL, JBE, and FRM.

I've also bypassed the DME relay by sourcing power for fuses F36, F37, and F38 directly from the accessory fuse (F3).

I'm wondering if I should be looking into a more permanent solution for the DME relay issue.

Any help appreciated, especially if there's a guide or method I've overlooked for bypassing the DME relay.

Moreover, as I'm new to this level of car modding (coming from a software development and hobbyist mechanic background), I could use all the advice I can get.

PS - I'm considering powering more fuses directly related to engine management and the DSC system (F11, F16, F17, F67, and F82) due to the connectivity issues I've experienced.If there are specific details or forms I've missed, please point me in the right direction.

I've tried to follow all available guides for the correct FRM, SZL, and other part numbers but still find myself a bit lost, especially with getting ISTA to run the DSC and szl calibrations

...also my cas has been hacked into by the previous owner to use the ignition wire to power the hands-free kit. Could the wiring on the cas cause any of my dme starting issues T15 start up signal??

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 05:13 AM   #2
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

You haven't said why you needed to bypass the DME relay. That is a strange thing to do. Why not repair it and have it working as intended?
Appreciate 1
Eoin921.50
      04-06-2024, 08:27 AM   #3
Eoin92
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZE90 View Post
You haven't said why you needed to bypass the DME relay. That is a strange thing to do. Why not repair it and have it working as intended?
You're probably right! I couldn't get the car to start when activating the relay though. Tried swapping out the fuse box and still the same situation. I only rarely get to hear a click from the dme relay.

Tried to check the grounds by the engine the anti interference ones and the comb ones couldn't find a bad ground.

...maybe I'm just approaching it wrong but thought it was either a bad b+ or ground. Then found these threads and looked into the activation pin on the dme traced that back to the fuse box and couldn't get it to start. Only by powering f36 - 38 would it start.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 08:40 AM   #4
Eoin92
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZE90 View Post
Any recommendations on how to test for the wake up signal being sent from the CAS? I'm also wondering if this is what my problem is, but haven't found much on how to test for this signal.
Can I test for or activate this via
ISTA / INPA??
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 06:49 AM   #5
Eoin92
Ireland
Rep

Can anyone help here?
Appreciate 0