E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ABS codes -- looking for advice

11-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

ABS codes -- looking for advice

I recently got a "new to me" 2008 335xi and and am still in the shake-down phase of deciding what to do with it. I got an ObdII scanner to help me figure out a misfire gremlin that unexpectedly seemed to disappear with some fuel addative ... anyway, as part of hooking up the scanner, I checked the ABS codes and it had 6 stored faults:
5EBA = Steering Angle Status Error... Invalid or Only Relative... Center position unknown...
5DCF = Severe Undervoltage ("much too low")
9511 = SZL: LWS-ERROR: FGR/ACC-Switch Inplausible... incorrect combination occurred in speed control switch
5E57 = Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right.... Missing Impulse Ring Wheel FR... Proof Good Test Required
6DCB = Electronic Brake Pre-Filling ... ST_CLCTR_V in PT-CAN-Message TORQUE_3 is invalid
5F77 = DME-Error... DME Sends Torque Value = Invalid (PT-CAN, ID 0xA8, Signal ST_RCPT_ENG_DSC)
Alright, so I knida sorta get the jist of what some of these mean in the abstract, but have no clue if this means these are currently problems with the ABS .... I have no ABS error light showing problems on the dash. I'm tempted to clear the codes and see if they come back, but then I feel like I that's being irresponsible. If I need to fix something I just want to know what it is, and what's is involved. If these are likely phantom codes due to a one time malfunction 6 months ago, then I don't want to chase more gremlins.

Some background about the vehicle... the prior owner said he serviced the front brakes recently himself -- and the pads looks pretty new. The wheels and tires are not stock, but I was told the brake hardware and the suspension is stock. He was not a mechanic, so any special BMW procedures needed to make the computer work properly probably weren't done. The TPMS is offline. And the prior owner apparently had a bad habit of breaking wheels, probably from hitting potholes at high speeds. One of the rear rims is bent, plus he showed me his "first" after-market wheels that were destroyed and when he had a blow-out.

And help understanding what these codes mean wrt the actual fitness and function of my ABS, as well as advice how to being fixing is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

First things first -- clear the current codes then pull again.

Some of those in this cluster could be associated with a dying battery. Speed sensor and TPMS would be easy enough to fix if they were actually a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

As bluewater says clear the codes and drive and see what comes back.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
gde061
Private First Class
Rep

Will do, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
gde061
Private First Class
Rep

Got them cleared. Went ahead and took it out a few times, did some controlled straight line hard brakes, codes did not trip, so it looks like the ABS is OK. Makes a bit of noise, but the computer seems to be ok with it.

I know the TPMS issue has something to do with the type of sensors on the wheels. I took it to the local NTB where I buy tires for my other car(s) and the tech used his programming tool trying to get them to connect to BMW using some of the more common "universal" TPMS programs, and his conclusion was that the ones currently on the car aren't compatible with BMW.

I have the old wheels with the original TPMS but I have to break them down, extract the sensors, and then I can see about swapping them in when I get new tires prob. in the next 6-12 mos. I like NTB, but they wanted a little to much to break down and rebalance just to make the light go away. For $2 I can get a nice pressure check tool.
Appreciate 0