E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Build Log: E91 Touring - Competition package

11-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #45
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
With that said, with the direction of your car, I think something period correct would go very nicely.
Funny you say that redEYEjedi, my original plan for this car was to go with the Style 359 off of the ZCP/M3 Competition of that era, which I still haven't ruled that out. However, I have an aversion to wheel cleaning and look at the 359's as about as much work as my 193's, or more. A simpler design would make that easier, but so would ceramic coating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #46
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
U still got factory m sport wheels op?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #47
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post
Quote:
With that said, with the direction of your car, I think something period correct would go very nicely.
Funny you say that redEYEjedi, my original plan for this car was to go with the Style 359 off of the ZCP/M3 Competition of that era, which I still haven't ruled that out. However, I have an aversion to wheel cleaning and look at the 359's as about as much work as my 193's, or more. A simpler design would make that easier, but so would ceramic coating.
359m would probably be as easy/hard to clean as 513m's and gets my pick. Looking forward to seeing what you decide!
      11-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #48
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
359m would probably be as easy/hard to clean as 513m's and gets my pick. Looking forward to seeing what you decide!
Get u some 666m and forget about
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #49
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Get u some 666m and forget about
I had authentic 20" LMs before and I felt they were too big. 19"s are the sweet spot imo, especially if OP is going more performance.
Attached Images

11-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #50
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
I had authentic 20" LMs before and I felt they were too big. 19"s are the sweet spot imo, especially if OP is going more performance.
Despite the fact that I’m a utility whore (love 17 and 18 inch wheels) this is without a doubt my favorite e91. Elegant, aggressive and OE all at once.

It’s funny that the 19” LM looks too small on this chassis with the M fenders. The 20” are just right.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      11-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #51
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

I don't think that I could bring myself to have anything bigger than 18" on my car. But that's just me. It does look good I have to say.
      11-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #52
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Despite the fact that I’m a utility whore (love 17 and 18 inch wheels) this is without a doubt my favorite e91. Elegant, aggressive and OE all at once.

It’s funny that the 19” LM looks too small on this chassis with the M fenders. The 20” are just right.
haha thanks! Wish I still owned the car. Oh well

I did want to add that the 20" LM's were HEAVY. You can literally feel the wheels weighing the car down. Pick up was noticeably slower with them compared to the Work CR's and 215m. Even the 19" LM's felt better overall but still heavy.

20's will definitely hinder the performance. If possible, go 19" max with forged wheels for best balance of looks and performance. 18"s for max performance and will be most economical overall imo.
      11-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #53
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Now that Turkey Day is over here in the state's, I figured it was time for an update. Like most, I spent a lot of time looking for deals on Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving) and Cyber Monday. One vendor who is a sponsor here add a really good deal on VMR wheels, but after I attempted to order them, they let me know they only had a few sets at that price. I was initially disappointed but being heavier wheels and not necessarily what I wanted I was glad it didn't work out. To make a purchase just b/c it is cheapest isn't always the smartest purchase. It did get my attention and motivated me to buy wheels anyway, however from another vendor so their loss.

The theme for this whole build has been to use the best parts I can afford, take my time and build something as close to what BMW might have built, or allowed a creative buyer to order back in 2011. While I have strayed off course a few times, I am glad I've been hampered on some decisions which ultimately have keep the project on track.

The above fail, ended up resulting in the below win in my eyes. After much deliberation I decided to go lighter and more practical, and went with a set of Apex SM10's. I went with 18x9 in Anthracite for several reasons, the biggest which was the ability to run square tire size on all four corners. Ancillary is the nearly 40lbs I will save in unsprung weight over the stock 18's. Lastly, they aren't a wheel that I have seen on a lot of E91's and I thought would offer a nice custom touch, but help this project be unique.

They haven't shipped yet, but fingers crossed I will get them soon. I am contemplating shooting them with some additional clear-coat depending on the finish to give them a more OE look, but will wait to see the powder-coat from the factory.

This week, I am looking for a single used 255/35/18 tire to do some test fitting and make sure these will fit upfront as Apex claims, after I get my coilovers installed. I have a 5mm spacer on hand which they indicate is needed, but if I can find an old tire to mount and test fit it will save me some headaches down the road. I am not opposed to staying with staggered fitment, so will either do 255/35/18 square, or use 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 staggered on these wheels. Assuming they clear my other components, the 18x9 offer some options since I haven't purchased tires yet.

Next step however before mounting the wheels is the suspension install. I am hoping in the next few weeks to schedule that. In the meantime I do have some trim pieces on order to rejuvenate the interior and make some upgrades there, I'll post on later. for now I will continue my planning the shakedown trip to the mountains I am hoping to make after New Years...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CSBM52721.00
      11-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #54
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Now that Turkey Day is over here in the state's, I figured it was time for an update. Like most, I spent a lot of time looking for deals on Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving) and Cyber Monday. One vendor who is a sponsor here add a really good deal on VMR wheels, but after I attempted to order them, they let me know they only had a few sets at that price. I was initially disappointed but being heavier wheels and not necessarily what I wanted I was glad it didn't work out. To make a purchase just b/c it is cheapest isn't always the smartest purchase. It did get my attention and motivated me to buy wheels anyway, however from another vendor so their loss.

The theme for this whole build has been to use the best parts I can afford, take my time and build something as close to what BMW might have built, or allowed a creative buyer to order back in 2011. While I have strayed off course a few times, I am glad I've been hampered on some decisions which ultimately have keep the project on track.

The above fail, ended up resulting in the below win in my eyes. After much deliberation I decided to go lighter and more practical, and went with a set of Apex SM10's. I went with 18x9 in Anthracite for several reasons, the biggest which was the ability to run square tire size on all four corners. Ancillary is the nearly 40lbs I will save in unsprung weight over the stock 18's. Lastly, they aren't a wheel that I have seen on a lot of E91's and I thought would offer a nice custom touch, but help this project be unique.

They haven't shipped yet, but fingers crossed I will get them soon. I am contemplating shooting them with some additional clear-coat depending on the finish to give them a more OE look, but will wait to see the powder-coat from the factory.

This week, I am looking for a single used 255/35/18 tire to do some test fitting and make sure these will fit upfront as Apex claims, after I get my coilovers installed. I have a 5mm spacer on hand which they indicate is needed, but if I can find an old tire to mount and test fit it will save me some headaches down the road. I am not opposed to staying with staggered fitment, so will either do 255/35/18 square, or use 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 staggered on these wheels. Assuming they clear my other components, the 18x9 offer some options since I haven't purchased tires yet.

Next step however before mounting the wheels is the suspension install. I am hoping in the next few weeks to schedule that. In the meantime I do have some trim pieces on order to rejuvenate the interior and make some upgrades there, I'll post on later. for now I will continue my planning the shakedown trip to the mountains I am hoping to make after New Years...
Lets see these puppies mounted!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #55
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Lets see these puppies mounted!
It may be a while before I get the wheels w/tires mounted. I still need to find time to do the coil-overs and bushings. Hoping in the next month, my goal for the whole project completion is before the end of February. I have most of the parts, but time is my biggest challenge.

Here is what I am expecting the wheels to look/fit like. This is an LCI e90 with the same 18x9 and 255/35/18 sized tires squared. The only unknown is how they will fit with my suspension mods, I may or may not need spacers, which was sort of the goal not to use but I have 10mm, 12mm and a 5mm on hand to do some experimenting once I find and have time to mount a used 255/35 tire for testing. Apex claims even on an LCI Xdrive all that maybe needed is front 5mm spacers, but every coil-over is different so clearance could be off from their standard fitment, thus the experimentation before I invest in my final tire choice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      11-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #56
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Here is what I am expecting the wheels to look/fit like. This is an LCI e90 with the same 18x9 and 255/35/18 sized tires squared.
Absolutely love that fitment. Perfect.
      12-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #57
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
https://jalopnik.com/why-are-car-ent...ons-1688416665

the internet has spoken.

also, super lame to shit up dudes build thread.
Thanks for sharing! I enjoy Doug's YouTube channel. His answer to the question, "Why wagons", is more articulate than most. I don't know why anyone would get a SUV over a wagon, especially when they rarely leave the pavement. We do have a SUV, but actually use it to access adventure.

I think many people don't "get it" simply because most aren't car enthusiasts.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #58
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

[QUOTE=K9Leader;23970033]Really liking this thread (well, except for the troll) . . . 'cause, well, I'm a car guy who appreciates wagons. I have a 2010 E91 that I picked up earlier this year. It is X-Drive and automatic but it has to do DD duty (wanted to keep both my Corvette and my mini-truck Subaru Baja so had to keep the price point within the wife's tolerance levels) which includes hauling three dogs and occasional camping gear (Scouts). Auto because at 57 my knees no longer appreciate the extra work.

Yes, to all the reasons car guys appreciate wagons - car-like handling, low COG, cargo room/dog-hauling room, some rarity/exclusivity, perhaps enjoying the irony of driving a hot rod station wagon. While BMW purists turn noses up at 328's measly 230hp, it is peppy for a daily driver in the suburbs (I guess it helps that I had driven 4-cyl Subarus - Outback and Baja - for the 15 years before the BMW). I would like to do the 3-stage intake, although blowing the transmission on my Corvette this summer put that off for a year or two.

Since buying it nine months ago I've done the suspension (Bilstein B4 all around), wheels/tires, pads and rotors and lines (stainless steel), oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket, plugs and coil packs, Valvetronic motor gasket, cleaned the VANOS, and assorted cosmetic interior and exterior mods. Anyway, following this thread for ideas and inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

I'm not sure why people thing the 328 is so under powered - Looking at BMW's history of car producing, the sport sedan was never a 300+ hp monster until the e90s and I don't think BMWs were ever considered overly fast - it's all about the handling. I mean, the 2002 turbo only had 170 hp. I know that was a long time ago, but still, if i wanted HP i'd buy a muscle car.

OP - awesome car!
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      12-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #59
Smith_Jason
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d

Loving this build. My current ride is an '09 328x E91, no sport package, but it's a nice car. Had an E34 M5 for a few years and really like the E91, I would like to do some upgrades to it but am on the fence about that vs buying either a newer one or going '16 and up F31.

I don't have a 6 speed car and finding one with the sport package 10,11,12 is unlikely especially where I am located. Would love to find one similar to yours and do the brakes and intake and then just drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #60
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Not much new to report this week on this project, temps have dropped here in North Florida into the 50's during the day so I haven't been able to do my next part of this project which was the ceramic coating of the whole car. I was able to get the glass polished and coated before the temp drop but will in all likelihood have to wait until spring since like most external treatments need to be applied at a more moderate temperature. No rain yet so can't report thoughts on Cquartz glass coating.

I did receive a couple of big boxes from the friendly UPS guy. The APEX wheels are in hand, but again they won't be installed until we get the suspension worked out and we track down some tires to do the fitting with. I am impressed with the finish, but haven't decided if I will add another coat of epoxy clear before I do the ceramic coating on them.

I also did a little restoration as I call it, the steering wheel had the standard peeling paint that happens after 8 years of service. I accidentally ordered an M3 piece, but think it adds to my whole theme so will keep it.

I also got some new tools (flattop jack stands) which facilitated the replacement of the jack points on the car. Like many of us, years of not using the correct inserts when we jack the car had destroyed my jack points. Now with these flat top stands, I'll have a billet jack stand puck as I call them to fit the new inserts on the car. Making the car more stable when working on.

I'm hoping to try and work on the coil-overs and bushings later this month, probably the week after Christmas. I also need to take the car to someone who can install my brake lines and who can break the bolt loose between the flexible lines and the hard lines to the master cylinder without twisting the hard lines. I think I mentioned that being a northern car and being in the snow, my connectors between the soft-lines and hard lines are rusted. I couldn't get them to break-loose the day we did the brake system so held off on the stainless steel braided lines. They aren't necessary but I like to finish things I start.

....more to come.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #61
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Turner/Active Autowerk Tune
Which tune do you have on it now? I have a N51 that came with 3-stage DISA, it's just de-tuned for smog purposes. Virtually the same as N52 HO once tune is changed. Had my eyes set on the AA tune, maybe headers down the road. But do you like the Turner one a bit more?
      12-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #62
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Which tune do you have on it now? I have a N51 that came with 3-stage DISA, it's just de-tuned for smog purposes. Virtually the same as N52 HO once tune is changed. Had my eyes set on the AA tune, maybe headers down the road. But do you like the Turner one a bit more?
+1

Also curious since I have an N51 myself.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      12-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #63
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Not much new to report this week on this project, temps have dropped here in North Florida into the 50's during the day so I haven't been able to do my next part of this project which was the ceramic coating of the whole car. I was able to get the glass polished and coated before the temp drop but will in all likelihood have to wait until spring since like most external treatments need to be applied at a more moderate temperature. No rain yet so can't report thoughts on Cquartz glass coating.

I did receive a couple of big boxes from the friendly UPS guy. The APEX wheels are in hand, but again they won't be installed until we get the suspension worked out and we track down some tires to do the fitting with. I am impressed with the finish, but haven't decided if I will add another coat of epoxy clear before I do the ceramic coating on them.

I also did a little restoration as I call it, the steering wheel had the standard peeling paint that happens after 8 years of service. I accidentally ordered an M3 piece, but think it adds to my whole theme so will keep it.

I also got some new tools (flattop jack stands) which facilitated the replacement of the jack points on the car. Like many of us, years of not using the correct inserts when we jack the car had destroyed my jack points. Now with these flat top stands, I'll have a billet jack stand puck as I call them to fit the new inserts on the car. Making the car more stable when working on.

I'm hoping to try and work on the coil-overs and bushings later this month, probably the week after Christmas. I also need to take the car to someone who can install my brake lines and who can break the bolt loose between the flexible lines and the hard lines to the master cylinder without twisting the hard lines. I think I mentioned that being a northern car and being in the snow, my connectors between the soft-lines and hard lines are rusted. I couldn't get them to break-loose the day we did the brake system so held off on the stainless steel braided lines. They aren't necessary but I like to finish things I start.

....more to come.
Really like tho wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #64
Raakhuga
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI

Garage List
Quote:

....more to come.
WoW such a Nice car man , i have a 2009 LCI with M sports package E91 , recently bought iT as my first bimmer. Did you install the performance brake calipers yourself ? I would really like to also do this upgrade but am kind of afraid to do work on the car myself as i don't have a lot of experience. Any tips would be great , and keep up the good work 🤙🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #65
rt7085
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 328xi wagon / Mercedes GTS

Quote:
Speaking of cool wagons..... I like to think mine is coming along.

Update 11/2/2018: BMW Performance Big brakes are installed and we are very happy with the results. I wasn't to sure about the Phoenix Yellow at first but its starting to grow on me. If I can decide on my wheels I think that will really set things off. They obviously look good, but I'm sure everyone wants to know how they stop. Truth be told I am initially a little disappointed in that the peddle feel and travel has increased a little over stock, but once they bite... they really bite. We had intended to do some 60-0 stops before and after and measure the gains but inclement weather this morning didn't allow for that in a safe manner.

I do need to have the car re-coded to reflect this upgrade which should adjust the bias, DSC and hopefully help the feel. I've only done about 6 miles to try and seat the pads to the rotors. Tomorrow I'll continue doing that and start evaluating things around town.

The big disappoint was that we couldn't use the stainless braided brake lines because the bolt on the hardlines was rusted on and needed a special tool to release without torquing the hard-lines which they would've broken. We can come back later and add them.

The other issue was we didn't get to my bushings like we had hoped. In looking at the rear sub-frame, the whole thing needs to be dropped to replace even the sway bar bushings so we decided to wait to do them when we do the coil-overs next month or so.

In the meantime I plan on addressing the brake hardlines so we can install the braided lines and revisit the subframe inserts and possible go ahead and do the BMW Group N bushings replacement and the M3 sway bar if the whole thing needs to come out.

As far as fittment... everything was a perfect fit. All my research and effort to gather the right parts paid off and I can confirm that on the US spec 328 Xdrive wagons, the stock 135 rotors upfront and the BMW #34216795755 in rear mate up perfectly and I retained my parking brake. Here is the complete parts list...
  • Front Driver Side 6-piston Caliper - 34116786741
  • Front Passenger Side 6-Piston Caliper - 34116786742
  • Rear Left Caliper - 34216786743
  • Rear Right Caliper – 34216786744
  • Front RedStuff Performance Brake Pad - DP31995C
  • Rear RedStuff Performance Brake Pad - DP31996C
  • Exact-Fit Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Complete Kit - ES#517965
  • Front Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors - Pair (338x26) - 34116786392
  • Rear Brake Rotors - Pair (324x22) - 34216795755kt
  • Stainless Brake Rotor Set Screw – x4
  • RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid - 500mL x1
Hey Quart, I have the same wagon and I wanted to put these brakes on. Just to confirm: Are these 18 inch rims? I read somewhere they had to be 19 inch to fit these calipers but they look like 18s. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #66
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

As far as the Tune I went with the Turner Tune,. which is said to be the same as the AA tune, I have also the 3-stage intake with the DISA and I suspect that is what is causing me some issue. In all likelihood a bad DISA is causing me some hesitation at initial roll-off in 1st gear unless I peg the accelerator. I have had them send me 6 different tunes and while I could tell a "seat of the pants" difference in everyone of them we have been unable to resolve. I may try BimmerPerformace Tune next...

As far as the brakes, yes they fit fine with the OEM 18-inch wheels. I am not aware of them requiring 19's on any car, however since many 3-series and 1-series come with 17's, I do know that you can't do the 17's with them. I am upgrading to a wider 18'inch wheel as well (the apex I pictured), 18x9 with 255/35/18 all the way around.
Appreciate 0