E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Transfer Case Motor replacement

09-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
karijbrafford@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XI

Garage List
2006 BMW 325XI  [0.00]
Transfer Case Motor replacement

I need to replace the transfer case motor in my 2006 BMW 325XI. Has anyone done this and can provide guidance? Do I have to put the car up on a lift to do so? Advice. Thanks! I have ordered the part just need to get to it and replace it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
jskin1510
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335xi

I recently did the actuator motor replacement. My dad and I did it on ramps which I would NOT recommend. where it is located, is pretty far back and it made for a very tight area to work in. It was tough to get the large bracket in and out but the rest was pretty straight forward. I'd recommend a lift or 4 jackstands whatever you can do to safely get the car up high enough would be helpful and make the job easier.
      10-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
theelitebookkeeper
JerseySistah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Transfer Case

I have a 2011 328xi BMW. Here is the dilemma.

The car does not start at times. There would be no power at all.
20 minutes later or an hour later, the car would start on it's own. Upon starting, I saw the 4x4 message on the screen. The time would have to be reset. approx. 8 days would go by, the car drove beautifully, then it would not start again. Same process. So I took it to BMW,

1. Had BMW fix the ignition
2. Had BMW install a new battery.
3. Lastly, they said that it would need a transfer case $1800.

Before I have this transfer case installed, I need to confirm if the issues I described matched issues w/ transfer case. My husband thinks it's something electrical, perhaps the junction box.

You help would be greatly appreciated. It's time for the car to get inspected.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelitebookkeeper View Post
I have a 2011 328xi BMW. Here is the dilemma.

The car does not start at times. There would be no power at all.
20 minutes later or an hour later, the car would start on it's own. Upon starting, I saw the 4x4 message on the screen. The time would have to be reset. approx. 8 days would go by, the car drove beautifully, then it would not start again. Same process. So I took it to BMW,

1. Had BMW fix the ignition
2. Had BMW install a new battery.
3. Lastly, they said that it would need a transfer case $1800.

Before I have this transfer case installed, I need to confirm if the issues I described matched issues w/ transfer case. My husband thinks it's something electrical, perhaps the junction box.

You help would be greatly appreciated. It's time for the car to get inspected.

Thank you.
Does your AWD still work? Is the 4x4 light still staying on?
There are a few fuses that control the transfer case, after your starting issues and battery id check fuses first
      10-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
theelitebookkeeper
JerseySistah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Honestly not sure if AWD works? The 4x4 light does off if I turn the wheel to the left all the way and to the right all the way. I learned this from another post on the site.
Thank you for the heads up of checking the fuses first. I definitely will.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0