E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Build Log: E91 Touring - Competition package

10-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

Build Log: E91 Touring - Competition package

The Concept

Before I get into the story behind this build, I thought I would establish what the plan for this car is and then get into more about the car itself. The concept, is to provide me with what I am calling my perfect commuter or everyday family car, that could be used for High Performance Driving Experiences, AutoX or fun mountain drives on the weekend and get me to and from work the rest of the week.

The Car is a 2011, E91 Touring, 328I Xdrive with MSport package. I am proposing to address three areas of the performance to make it into what I call a “What If?”, or OEM+ build that is oriented towards a “Track” package, or “Competition” package if one existed for this car. Recognizing the rarity of this car, all efforts will be made with an eye towards maintaining as much inherent value in this car as possible. While not the true unicorn it could be if it was a 6-Speed manual, being an M-sport wagon in any form makes it fairly hot at the moment.

Next, we will tell our tale from the beginning. This may get a little verbose so hold on....

Current Update (as of 11/5/2018):
Revisions so Far:

Brakes & Suspension:
• BMW Performance Big brake Kit
• BMW M3 Strut Tower brace

Engine performance:
• N52 3stage intake manifold upgrade
• Euro Cold Air Intake
• Turner/Active Autowerk Tune
• BMW Performance Exhaust system

Other revisions:
• Removal of Bridgestone Run Flat Tires, replaced with Michelin Pilot Super sports
• LED Driving/Angel Eyes
• Custom Front License plate
• BMW Performance Shifter, Handbrake handles and boots
• BMW Performance Accelerator and Brake Pedals
Attached Images

Last edited by TechieCarGuy; 11-05-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Introduction

After over 40 years and nearly 20 different cars to my name I wouldn’t have called myself a BMW enthusiast 5 years ago. Having owned nearly every marque under the sun at least once, my enthusiasm for cars was never limited to a single brand. I might have even said I knew what I liked, and liked what I had, but after owning, driving and modifying my N54 135i over the last two years, it was inevitable that the cars from Bayerische Motoren Werke would pull me in and make me a fan.

Finding My Unicorn

It all started in mid-November of last year when I started looking at options for newer cars and while I was familiar with the E91 Touring, or “Sporty-Wagon” as I call them, I had not really considered one until I read an article about how rare they were and how ones with certain options were true unicorns in the car world. So, I started looking and decided I wanted my own unicorn, a RWD E91 328 Touring with M-sport package. Of course, for me, it had to be an LCI (2010+) and have Navigation, Premium package and I wanted it to be Titanium Silver to match my 1 series and of course 6 speed manual, oh and it had to have less than 50k miles.

After two months of hunting nationwide and being late to the dance on more than one occasion (these cars are hot); on at least two occasions I would find one and by the time I inquired they had been sold within hours of my discovering them. Then in January of this year, I got a lead on one through the E91 Buyers thread in these Forums and didn’t waste any time calling on it. This car wasn’t exactly what I wanted, but after two months of missed opportunities I jumped on it.

I ended up with what you see above, a 2011 E91 328ix M-sport. It had about 40,000 miles, the Navigation and Premium packages and even the upgraded 18-inch M-sport Wheels I liked. The color was not something I had considered but the Alpine White over Oyster just screamed elegance versus the sportier black interior I had thought I wanted. The car became available for sale on a Thursday, I had a deposit on it that Saturday and three weeks later I was on a red-eye flight to D.C. to pick the car up at BMW Alexandria. I had pulled the trigger in a big way.

On my 875-mile return trip that would take me two-days to drive back to Florida, I contemplated that I might have paid too much, but within a week of having the car, was offered $5000 more than I paid by two different people. I would ultimately decline those offers, but during my drive had the opportunity to day dream about what I would do to build my perfect E91. Fast forward nearly 7 months and I am finally at the point I am ready to get started on my “Project E91 – Competition”
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      10-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

The Plan

Understanding two things about this car, first it was a fairly rare car as it sits. My estimate is it is one of fewer than 100 Alpine White, M-Sport Wagons sold in the US. Before you ask me how I came up with that number, it is only an estimate and a loose estimate at that, but no one has ever produced a real solid number for how many of these cars there really are so I am left to guess; but if BMW sold 1500 E91’s per year in US; and this is a figure I hear tossed around a lot in these forums….and this car was sold from 2006-2011, that’s roughly 10000 cars imported. I’ve heard some figures that less than 25% of those were M-Sport, giving us maybe 2600 M-Sports in the US. Then if you take into account the color, I’ve heard 30% of all E91 were Alpine White = 790 and about 70% of all US cars were XDrive we end up with 550 Arctic White, M-sports with Xdrive. My car has the Oyster interior, which I have only seen three other cars with, but keeping with my estimates have garnered from my research that fewer than 15% of all 3series had the Oyster interior. That gives me a number of 1 of 82 E91 optioned like mine… now I have no illusions that these estimates could be way off and are far from scientific, thus why I will only say its 1 of maybe 100. If anyone has better numbers, I would be curious to see them and I have never been accused of being a math genius. All of that being said, this is a rare car and any mods need to take that into account.

The second thing about this build, was that due to its rarity, any mods had to be either 100% reversible, or use 100% OEM, BMW parts. This later part will be the key driving force for most of this project, since the BMW parts bin is very deep I shouldn’t have much of a problem digging through it to make my perfect car.

For my design, like I do with all my cars I want to have something that no one else has; something that is unique enough for enthusiast to say, “wait a second, BMW built that?”; but subtle enough that the uninformed would never guess, or mess with the car because it looks stock. Of the E9x series of cars, I love the look of the M3 Sedan with ZCP Competition package on it and thought what if BMW offered a Track Pack, or Competition Package for their regular cars back in 2011. What would it have and would anyone order it in a “sporty wagon”?

So, moving forward the concept is to build my humble wagon into a one-off Competition packaged wagon, something that to my knowledge BMW never produced in a 328, more a 328 Touring.

The Build, In the Beginning:

Shortly after buying the car I started looking at what could be done to increase performance. Obviously, one could add a supercharger, do an engine swap or do a complete rebuild of the engine to a higher spec, but I wanted to keep this simple. While I have not ruled out forced induction, at this time it is not part of the plan and my initial steps went in the direction to do a mild performance increase.

The car while having one of the smoothest, silkiest inline 6cylinders in the industry isn’t known for its barnstorming performance. With only 230 Horses and 210 lb/ft of torque, power compared to my N54 135 is anemic. While there are parts available to increase performance, I wanted to make that only part of the equation so took the route of upgraded intake and exhaust.

The first part I threw at the car was the 3-stage intake manifold from an e60 530. This car was rated at about 255 horses (bhp) and the 3stage intake would be a great starting point. Understanding that I haven’t yet dyno’d the car, all horsepower numbers are based on estimates or quotes from others having done similar mods.

Second was the European intake itself. The US version uses the traditional panel filter but mounted at a weird angle, making servings a pain. It also is said to impact fresh air intake and has been said to add an additional 5 bhp to the mix.

Next came the BMW Performance Exhaust system. This BMW part replaces the stock mid-pipe with a cat-less x-pipe and then replaces the muffler with a free-flowing version, while debatable worth only about 3 bhp, it gives the wagon a meaner sound and will add to the whole package. Interesting story behind this acquisition was a shift in production in early 2018 which had inventory of this part run out world-wide. When I went to purchase mine, the BMW national parts database only showed one in the whole country available. Calls to aftermarket purveyors confirmed at the time that they were unavailable, so I jumped on the last one and had it shipped from the west coast and never looked back.

After the hard parts, there needed to be some work done to get them to all work properly together. After much research I determined that most of the tuning options available did more or less the same thing and power increases were about the same across the board. Nearly all of the tunes adjusted throttle, cam angles and timing, as well as allowed the DISA valves in the 3stage intake to work on the non-DISA cars. Because most reviews showed about a 20-23 bhp increase with their tunes, and most reviews showed the Active Autowerks (AA) or Turner Tune to be a good choice, I choice the Turner tune after I was solicited with a $100 off discount.

The tune itself was a smooth process, however to this date I have struggled with some inherent hesitation at initial throttle. It took the guys at Turner four tries to get it worked out, but I am still playing around with things to get it just the way I want it. Initial throttle response after the tune, especially in DS mode is awesome. The car is transformed from a slow street crawler to a peppy little carrier of parts and such… while again, not on par with my N54, I am impressed enough for daily commuter duties and call myself satisfied.

The before mentioned hesitation is a slight drop in RPM upon initial press of the accelerator, it eventually went away on the last tune that I received after a 1500 mile trip. I thought it was due to maybe my impatience waiting on the car to adapt, so went back to the original tune and the hesitation returned. Only driving the car about 10 miles a day, has taken a while for me to get the miles back up to see if it goes away, but after about 1000 miles I am about to go back to the last tune that worked.

For now I am content with the performance mods. The exhaust sounds amazing, the performance is good enough for my daily travels and offers enough extra to get out of the hole faster than most others do in their daily drivers. While I won’t win any races, the added response off the line and the tweaks to the transmissions holding ability are good enough. At a later date, I will consider headers and if funds allow I haven’t ruled out an ESS supercharger, however for a nearly 9 year old car I am not certain it is worth that investment, albeit I have shown I am not against tossing good money at marginally useful mods… case in point my next adventure….
Attached Images

Last edited by TechieCarGuy; 10-31-2018 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      10-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

What’s Next, Preview of The Build, Part II

After the engine performance, I had planned on starting to address the suspension system and work on some maintenance issues. But came across a beautiful set of BMW Performance Brake calipers that I knew very well. This particular set was actually the same brakes that I had on my 135, but painted in a beautiful Phoenix Yellow paint. Beyond pads and lines, I had not planned on doing brakes but this was too good a deal to pass up. The biggest challenge is the set I bought only included the front calipers and a single left rear, so I had to source a separate right rear caliper. The good news was that my car being an Xdrive model I should be in pretty good shape for getting all of this to work on my E91. The theory was that the OEM 135 rotors would bolt right on and I could use the rear performance brake rotors from the E9x rwd coupes.

After several months of gathering all the parts I that will be needed, on Friday of this week we will be starting on the brake install. We’ve also purchases a complete bushing swap and have ISC Coilovers on hand but plan on doing the Brakes, Bushing and coilovers separately so as to be able to evaluate each phase of this portion of the build. The addition of upgraded poly bushings and the coilovers will be the first non-BMW parts to be used on the car (with the exception of the Active AW tune). Since the Xdrive cars do not come with the Sport Suspension, even with the M-Package, I thought long and hard about what options to take in the Suspension arena. I'll discuss that more in depth later, but for my needs and to move the project along I went with coilsovers over something like a Bilstein/Eibach spring and shock combo. But more on that later....

I acknowledge the length of this thread and apologize to those who might like a more concise write-up, but as you can tell this has been an amalgamation over several months and I have finally gotten around to posting it all. Know that I am caught up I will post current status at the bottom of the first post, and do shorter, but more frequent updates.
Attached Images

Last edited by TechieCarGuy; 10-31-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      10-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Nice set up. Good to the wagons coming out. Check out tetsuo111’s build if you’re looking for some wagon motivation :-)
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      10-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Excellent build
      11-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #7
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

What is it about the Touring model that really gets people interested?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
BaliDawg, I've wondered that myself... when I was looking for mine I couldn't understand why every single one I found, at any price was gone literally the same day it was listed in most cases. I personally have always had an affinity for them due to the practicality and handling performance over an SUV. American's have been nuts over SUV's for decades and wagons have been a very niche market with few manufacturers until recently even offering them.

With the rumors of BMW possibly making an M3 version (Europe only), Jaguar offering one, Porsche doing the Panamera as a shooting-brake and other European makers contemplating a move to reintroduce wagons in the US market, there appears to be somewhat of a revival. Some say its a nostalgic thing for many American's who grew up during the 70's and 80's... I'm 47 and do remember them, but hated most of them back then, so don't buy it. I think its as much about being unique as it is about being able to do 100% of what most use their SUV for and 80% of what a good sport sedan, or coupe will do on the back roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Rarity in the US. Its also the best all around car once you get past the "OMG its a station wagon" insecurity that most people have.

Its got 80% the space of the X3, sits lower, rides better, in the real world gets a hair better gas mileage, and isnt a damned SUV (I find them lamer than wagons since all they are is a modern mini van). I take it camping, it can fit my large dogs kennel, takes bikes, surfboards and whatnot on the roof, etc. Its taken 4 of us to the beach for a long weekend with all of our crap. Ive done as much offroading as any X car ever does in it,etc.

Ive gotten so many cold, on the street offers for mine. My ex used to get even more (probably 50/50 a dude trying to flirt) but unfortunately she never knew to respond "how much?"

Ive gotten over KBB offers every time but not enough to make me move, mainly because I dont know what Id want to replace it with. The F bodies dont excite me, I hate the steering in the ones they have loaned me, and you cant get a real motor with RWD in the states on ANY wagon from the Germans.

Im basically stuck with this car, and Im fine with that. Plus if you tint the windows to reduce the fishbowl effect (which makes the car look lower) put a slight drop on them and have some nice wheels they actually look great, I think sleeker than the sedans.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quart I think the potential revival is because enough people are young enough to forget those horrible, domestic, fake wooded wagons of our youth. So they dont have the stigma attached.

Im not calling it yet though. Youre seeing fastbacks all over the place but few real wagons. Ill wait until I can get something more than a base engine, AWD option with ugly fender flares before I call wagons "back." Right now they are just packaging most of them as mini SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Great story. Subscribed.

And it's hard to answer "why a wagon" if you don't like wagons. At the end, the response will be "yeah, I guess I see this and that, but still don't get it."
It's a personal preference as mentioned above and we can rationalize it whichever way we want.
To me, coupe is the most beautiful automotive form. But it's not practical, so the next best thing is a wagon. Hatchback works too, but has less space and wagon (to me!) looks nicer.
Plus you are carrying around the same footprint as a sedan, so you might as well use the air space above the trunk of a sedan for something useful!
And yes, I don't like SUVs. As a Sport Utility Vehicle, they do not have the "Sport" of a hatchback, they have the same "Utility" of a hatchback, and as a Vehicle, they use much more material to achieve the same utility and less sport. They weigh more, so you need bigger everything (brakes, suspension, stiffness material etc.), they ride higher, so you need bigger wheels, tires etc.
Again, personal preference, so that's how I rationalize it.

Now, let's resume this excellent build direction!
I'm watching intently to see what I can learn and adopt to my E91 ownership.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Bottom line is, if car makers can produce a “cool” wagon ppl will buy it. For those who live in areas where a SUV is not really needed (I live in Florida), then a wagon makes perfect sense.

And like another poster said, the unique/rarity factor is something we Americans like. Cool wagons are indeed a rarity here in the US. So for those reasons, amongst others it is why I chose my 2011 E91 which I have basically converted to a “performance” wagon. The wifey has a new Rogue. I love the versatility of the E91! Looks great also!

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 11-02-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Speaking of cool wagons..... I like to think mine is coming along.

Update 11/2/2018: BMW Performance Big brakes are installed and we are very happy with the results. I wasn't to sure about the Phoenix Yellow at first but its starting to grow on me. If I can decide on my wheels I think that will really set things off. They obviously look good, but I'm sure everyone wants to know how they stop. Truth be told I am initially a little disappointed in that the peddle feel and travel has increased a little over stock, but once they bite... they really bite. We had intended to do some 60-0 stops before and after and measure the gains but inclement weather this morning didn't allow for that in a safe manner.

I do need to have the car re-coded to reflect this upgrade which should adjust the bias, DSC and hopefully help the feel. I've only done about 6 miles to try and seat the pads to the rotors. Tomorrow I'll continue doing that and start evaluating things around town.

The big disappoint was that we couldn't use the stainless braided brake lines because the bolt on the hardlines was rusted on and needed a special tool to release without torquing the hard-lines which they would've broken. We can come back later and add them.

The other issue was we didn't get to my bushings like we had hoped. In looking at the rear sub-frame, the whole thing needs to be dropped to replace even the sway bar bushings so we decided to wait to do them when we do the coil-overs next month or so.

In the meantime I plan on addressing the brake hardlines so we can install the braided lines and revisit the subframe inserts and possible go ahead and do the BMW Group N bushings replacement and the M3 sway bar if the whole thing needs to come out.

As far as fittment... everything was a perfect fit. All my research and effort to gather the right parts paid off and I can confirm that on the US spec 328 Xdrive wagons, the stock 135 rotors upfront and the BMW #34216795755 in rear mate up perfectly and I retained my parking brake. Here is the complete parts list...
  • Front Driver Side 6-piston Caliper - 34116786741
  • Front Passenger Side 6-Piston Caliper - 34116786742
  • Rear Left Caliper - 34216786743
  • Rear Right Caliper – 34216786744
  • Front RedStuff Performance Brake Pad - DP31995C
  • Rear RedStuff Performance Brake Pad - DP31996C
  • Exact-Fit Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Complete Kit - ES#517965
  • Front Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors - Pair (338x26) - 34116786392
  • Rear Brake Rotors - Pair (324x22) - 34216795755kt
  • Stainless Brake Rotor Set Screw – x4
  • RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid - 500mL x1
Attached Images

Last edited by TechieCarGuy; 11-05-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 5
spencers199.00
Fritzer942.50
sq86363.00
lab_rat394.50
      11-05-2018, 04:33 AM   #14
ClaudiosPapa
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Lci Touring M-Sport

Your E91 is very nice ..... I have the same colour 320d lci.... from Johannesburg- South Africa.

Your mods are great .... keep it going
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      11-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Love those brakes!! Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Very nice, now get rid of that wheel gap!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #17
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

long roofs for life.

either you're into wagons or you're not.
I like this one.
Appreciate 2
Fritzer942.50
tlow982162.50
      11-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #18
nuron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Those brakes look mean!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Thanks for sharing, Quart

Car people love wagons - it's remarkable how many strangers walk over to chat about these cars. These are enthusiasts who can drive anything, but seem to gravitate to interesting long tops, like ours. Ferrari / Porsche / Vette / Aston drivers routinely ask for a closer look around here.

Love what you're doing to yours - understated and tasteful. Keep posting!
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      11-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy11 View Post
You turned down 5 grand for a station wagon.... twice ?
OP said he's been offered 5k over what he paid for the car. Based on year and mileage of his car, he probably paid $15k - $18k for the car.

$20k+ is not unheard of for lower mileage, well optioned wagons. The e91 is the last 3 series wagon that came in 6MT. F31 is rumored to be the last "modern" wagon to be offered in the US by BMW.
      11-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #21
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Subbed! Very cool build and look forward to updates! I am in similar situation with your regarding the transmission. I was looking into the swap to a 6MT but still not 100% sure considering price and all the work I would have to do.
      11-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #22
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiosPapa View Post
Your E91 is very nice ..... I have the same colour 320d lci.... from Johannesburg- South Africa.

Your mods are great .... keep it going
Stay safe out there! Heard it's been getting kind of crazy! Also my E90 that was built in Pretoria says "what up bru" to your E91!