E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Combox Retrofit BMW Apps Connectivity Issue - iOS

11-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
MattyD44
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport

Combox Retrofit BMW Apps Connectivity Issue - iOS

So I've retrofitted combox telematics (BN2000) to my E90 LCI and everything seems to be working smoothly; USB and aux work, cradle still charges the phone and all Bluetooth functions work correctly.

However, BMW Apps will not connect to my phone. I have added $6NR to my VO and ConnectedDrive shows, with Apps as sub-heading.

Selecting Apps prompts the message to connect an external device via USB, which I do - my iPhone XS running iOS 12.1 with the BMW ConnectedDrive app open.

I try to add my car to the app via USB and the phone starts 'Establishng Connection' but times out after a while with the message 'The connection to your vehicle was unsuccessful. Please try again.' If try to add my VIN manually to the app I get 'The Vehicle cannot be added. The embedded cellular technology is not supported. if you feel you've received this message in error, contact Customer Support.'

Obviously, the first choice should be to contact Customer Support but as this functionality has been retrofitted, I doubt they'd help?

Has anyone had this issue before and, if so, what was the solution? I can't seem to find anything online to match this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
Mr. 320d
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

From what I've read previously there could be two potential issues:
1. If your CIC firmware is version C1A (the latest) you will need an FSC code.
2. You may (also) need a donor VIN to trick the servers into thinking you're allowed use those services.

That's the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid but hopefully it's something for you to investigate.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Gray335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD44 View Post
So I've retrofitted combox telematics (BN2000) to my E90 LCI and everything seems to be working smoothly; USB and aux work, cradle still charges the phone and all Bluetooth functions work correctly.

However, BMW Apps will not connect to my phone. I have added $6NR to my VO and ConnectedDrive shows, with Apps as sub-heading.

Selecting Apps prompts the message to connect an external device via USB, which I do - my iPhone XS running iOS 12.1 with the BMW ConnectedDrive app open.

I try to add my car to the app via USB and the phone starts 'Establishng Connection' but times out after a while with the message 'The connection to your vehicle was unsuccessful. Please try again.' If try to add my VIN manually to the app I get 'The Vehicle cannot be added. The embedded cellular technology is not supported. if you feel you've received this message in error, contact Customer Support.'

Obviously, the first choice should be to contact Customer Support but as this functionality has been retrofitted, I doubt they'd help?

Has anyone had this issue before and, if so, what was the solution? I can't seem to find anything online to match this problem.

Thanks in advance!
bmw apps on cic were designed to work with iphone 3 and 4 (old iphone connector).
I made this work with iphone 5 using a iphone 4 to lightening adapter.
hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

I've tried this with my car and a friends car . Though CIC was retrofitted to my car. The new Connected App seems to not work. I'm not sure how I'm still able to have the old one; which still works. it seems the new connected drive app was never designed to use with e9x CIC Units.
      11-11-2018, 04:00 AM   #5
MattyD44
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport

The FSC was installed when the firmware was upgraded to C1A so I don't think thats the issue.

Typical that I sold my 32-pin to lightning adapter not long ago!

I was suspecting that the mobile app has lost its compatibility with the older versions of iDrive but seems very short-sighted of BMW to completely remove functionality for cars that are still very common?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD44 View Post
The FSC was installed when the firmware was upgraded to C1A so I don't think thats the issue.

Typical that I sold my 32-pin to lightning adapter not long ago!

I was suspecting that the mobile app has lost its compatibility with the older versions of iDrive but seems very short-sighted of BMW to completely remove functionality for cars that are still very common?
This has nothing to do with the lightning connection to the car; But more of the new BMW Connected App. CIC was updated enough at the time to work with lighting connector. This is what I've used since iPhone 5s to now iPhone X.

I'm not sure if it's the same across the pond but BMW Assist is no longer available for e9x platform this side. Part of the new Connected app was designed on the strength of Assist features. I probably can see why they've stopped developing the app for older non-capable platform.