E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2006 330xi - Transfer Case Symptoms?

11-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
turbojimmy
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

2006 330xi - Transfer Case Symptoms?

Hi all -

I've been doing a lot of searching here and am concerned about some symptoms that point to the transfer case going bad. The symptoms are slight jerking under hard acceleration, particularly in higher gears. It hasn't gotten any worse over the past year or so, but something needs done I think.

From what I've read, sometimes a fluid change will fix it. Other times it could be uneven tire wear? It's a 6-speed manual. My understanding is that there is no software that needs updated with a fluid change as with the automatics?

I see I have to remove the crossmember/TC support to get at the drain plug. Otherwise it doesn't look too bad. Or is changing the fluid a waste of time once these symptoms start?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
FernandoBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
Hi all -

I've been doing a lot of searching here and am concerned about some symptoms that point to the transfer case going bad. The symptoms are slight jerking under hard acceleration, particularly in higher gears. It hasn't gotten any worse over the past year or so, but something needs done I think.

From what I've read, sometimes a fluid change will fix it. Other times it could be uneven tire wear? It's a 6-speed manual. My understanding is that there is no software that needs updated with a fluid change as with the automatics?

I see I have to remove the crossmember/TC support to get at the drain plug. Otherwise it doesn't look too bad. Or is changing the fluid a waste of time once these symptoms start?
Well it depends how long you want to keep the car, change the fluid is short term ownership like a year or two or even less, but if you want to keep it Years like 5 or more then I recommend replacement of transfer case but only new if car has low miles or used for a car with high miles. *thats what I've done, expect for a new transfer case with labor $3,300. (Price determined here Western states (us) ) best luck!!
Appreciate 0