E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Performance Exhaust for 328 - Mini Review

05-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
BattleWagon
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6mt, 325iT 5mt

BMW Performance Exhaust for 328 - Mini Review

I just could not bear the teenie weenie tips after I removed the fake clip-on covers on the stock box. I was never one for just fake looks without functionality so the first thing I did after I took delivery of my 328 was to take off the tailpipe beauty covers but I hated the look of the small pipes.

Then to add on to that, the sewing machine sound of the stock exhaust, while it had a perverted enchanting sound, it just seemed wrong so I was doomed to an exhaust replacement at any price. So I decided to go safe and without even going on youtube, I ordered the BMW kit from Tischer. I knew that once I put the system on, it was not coming off due to the cutting required so I hoped for the best. And to my delight, I am so in love with my new BMW now. This is the plumbing that the car should have had from the factory.

It is a very very subtle change. At highway speed it is completely silent unless you step on it to pass and then you get a nice aggressive deep classy tone.

While driving around town accelerating from stops and goes, I find myself lowering the windows just to hear the growl. It is pure class and just what you would expect from BMW.

And the looks of the polished doubled walls tips is perfection and aggressive but not obnoxious. Even untrained eyes would notice something different about your 3er even if they were not knowledgeable of car mods or BMWs.

The system consists of a straight pipe section that replaces the stock resonated section and a muffler to replace the stock box. It installs with spliced butt joints as opposed to overlapping joints. The kit includes the 3 required collars to splice the system together.

So in summary, if you are in the market for an exhaust system that retains the stock qualities but adds an intoxicating aggressively classy growl when getting on the throttle, this is your system. Add great looking tips, easy installation, BMW fit and finish and reasonable price, and you got a winner.

If you are looking for performance you can feel...look elsewhere. But all I know is that every time I start her up and stomp on it, I get a big smile and that is priceless.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: No more Beemer

Nice review,

My sentiments mirror yours, its all about the sound, it has such a great low raspy tone!. The car I bought had the BMWPE and I had it removed at the time due to the seller wanting $1500 extra with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
335ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

give it 500-1000 miles and youll notice a big increase in sound, even on the highway with windows up, such a beautiful sound. good luck.
      05-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
tolkino
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM E92 328i xDrive

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a "very subtle change" You will notice it soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Congrats got my PE and install from LTBMW.
Luv my PE!
Grab an intake and u'll hear a nicer sound
in the cabin.

Ur exhaust is still in the break in period.
Cold starts are the best! Gurggle pop pop!!
      05-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Congrats on the exhaust! I just ordered mine from Tischer and can't wait to get it!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
BattleWagon
Rep

UPDATE

I have had the exhaust for over a week now and I fall in love with it more each day.

It is still quiet at highway speeds, but going around town stirs up a sweet invigorating growl and gives the car a completely new personality

I have 6MT so it makes shifting all the more fun.

Best non-performance mod I could do.

I want to do CDV delete next.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:47 AM   #9
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

Performance Exhaust

If you are looking for performance you can feel...look elsewhere. But all I know is that every time I start her up and stomp on it, I get a big smile and that is priceless.
I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know the HP gain of bmw performnce exhaust?

I almost purchased one until magnaflow returned my call. they took my car for 3 days, hooked up a rental and picked up the car with a new catback exhaust with a 12 hp gain on the Dyno. I just wanted to compare the difference which probably doenst matter now, bc after the intake, and pbx install, feels like the car is turbo and like the bmw sound described is very similar, possibly deeper but hard to tell wiht the intake and engine noise boosting up. I say magnaflow for performance.

thanks to Magnaflow and Gabe for hooking up the exhaust. Worth bragging about for performance iMO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modtheebmw View Post
I hope this helps.
Does anyone know the HP gain of bmw performnce exhaust?

I almost purchased one until magnaflow returned my call. they took my car for 3 days, hooked up a rental and picked up the car with a new catback exhaust with a 12 hp gain on the Dyno. I just wanted to compare the difference which probably doenst matter now, bc after the intake, and pbx install, feels like the car is turbo and like the bmw sound described is very similar, possibly deeper but hard to tell wiht the intake and engine noise boosting up. I say magnaflow for performance.

thanks to Magnaflow and Gabe for hooking up the exhaust. Worth bragging about for performance iMO.[/QUOTE]

Sound clips of this exhaust?

I just got my BMW PE installed a few days ago and couldn't be happier. Aggressive, yet not intrusive
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
Juan.sidarta
Banned
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: ex-e92

Getting mine from longtran maybe this wed. But I am somewhat hoping for a performance gain too
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan.sidarta View Post
Getting mine from longtran maybe this wed. But I am somewhat hoping for a performance gain too
Don't get your hopes up. I don't feel much of a gain...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

if you want to feel gains get the gintani tune or PBX(not necessarily gains but you can feel the improvement)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
Juan.sidarta
Banned
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Don't get your hopes up. I don't feel much of a gain...
What about throttle response? I dont wanna do pbx due to warranty issues.. did MD but the drone was horrible and felt loss in hp/torq. Hoping the performance exhaust wud get it back XD hoping to add arnd +5hp/5torq? possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #15
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Umm people. Your not going to be able to "feel" a 2whp gain... Placebo effect.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
What about throttle response? I dont wanna do pbx due to warranty issues.. did MD but the drone was horrible and felt loss in hp/torq. Hoping the performance exhaust wud get it back XD hoping to add arnd +5hp/5torq? possible?
Honestly, more throttle response isn't there either, though I can't say if there will be if you throw an intake in the mix. I think your best option if you really want to "feel it" is to get PBX -- which I'm also contemplating about due to warranty concerns. I think the BMW PE is worth it -- good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Pongdadong
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328XI (e92)

Is Dinan any better?

Chuck Norris once kicked a horse in the chin. Its descendants are now known as giraffes.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by modtheebmw View Post

thanks to Magnaflow and Gabe for hooking up the exhaust. Worth bragging about for performance iMO.
which exhaust is that in ur pics???
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep

BMS power box was the icing on the cake. I felt great gain with the exhuast and intake but was lagging when i had the car on drive but once i installed the power box, holy shit, i wasted a full tannk of gas just enjoying the throttle response and just messing with the cars power at will. i highly suggest the bms and the combo i have i feel was the best investment on the ride thus far. im glad shopped around carefully and made the right choices on parts to obtain teh gain i wanted too. I will do a new video clip with teh bms bc the airflow response has definately made the sound serioulsy just sick. without it it sound great but wow, is all i can say after pbx.

call eddie at **********s and frank can install it in seconds and worth 80 bucks installed of scrwing up your ECU.

Next Mod after bimmerfest: Superchips tunning and looking forward to this mod and do a comparison chart. i need to get on the dyno prior so i can have real results to reassure my money was well spent.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep

warranty

Quote:
issues is not somethign iw ould worry about because you can remove the pbx and your good as gold.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #21
BattleWagon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Umm people. Your not going to be able to "feel" a 2whp gain... Placebo effect.
agreed. exhaust for this car was all about sound and looks.

and it even shaved off a few pounds too...BONUS!!!
      05-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #22
Juan.sidarta
Banned
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Honestly, more throttle response isn't there either, though I can't say if there will be if you throw an intake in the mix. I think your best option if you really want to "feel it" is to get PBX -- which I'm also contemplating about due to warranty concerns. I think the BMW PE is worth it -- good luck!
Not in my opinion. Long just helped install it, but I am very disappointed with the sound. Very subtle or almost no different to oem muffler... =( maybe it needs time to break in.. hope thats the case =)
Appreciate 0