E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2c32 code - O2 sensor replacement with VRSF downpipes on e93 - install question/help

08-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

2c32 code - O2 sensor replacement with VRSF downpipes on e93 - install question/help

Hi folks. Car popped the 2C32 code on my e93 n54 with 69k. This is a few 100 miles after my VRSF downpipes were installed. I read its common so I guess I need to replace bank 2 precat O2 sensor. I am going to attempt to do it myself but I have a few questions -

1 - I have a convertible, I havent been under the car in a while, is there any additional bracing that would make this any more difficult than a typical e90?

2 - Some people seem to use a shorty 22mm wrench and stick their hand up there to take the sensor off, has anyone used one of those wrenches? (pic included)? I see some people use the little plastic one but the long one would seem to work, no?

3 - If i am doing the bank 2, and im already under there, should I do bank 1 too or is that a less common failure point?

Thanks for any advice and tips you all can offer!
Attached Images

Last edited by elite.; 08-04-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
Hi folks. Car popped the 2C32 code on my e93 n54 with 69k. This is a few 100 miles after my VRSF downpipes were installed. I read its common so I guess I need to replace bank 2 precat 02 sensor. I am going to attempt to do it myself but I have a few questions -

1 - I have a convertible, I havent been under the car in a while, is there any additional bracing that would make this any more difficult than a typical e90?

2 - Some people seem to use a shorty 22mm wrench and stick their hand up there to take the sensor off, has anyone used one of those wrenches? (pic included)? I see some people use the little plastic one but the long one would seem to work, no?

3 - If i am doing the bank 2, and im already under there, should I do bank 1 too or is that a less common failure point?

Did you have "DP Fix" installed along with the downpipes? When i was getting
o2 codes (different code, 2C2C) i stumbled across many posts saying
that if you have it installed, you should get rid off it as it might throw those codes.

1) Don't think so but can't say for sure as my experience is only from e92.

2) I used regular 22mm wrench that i shortened with grinder to make it fit there,
i also had "o2 sensor tool" just like in pic above but it was too long aswell so
i found the normal wrench better, i just had to break them loose and then i was able to turn them by hands.

3) I was getting codes only from bank 2 pre-cat o2 sensor and i changed both bank 1 & 2 pre-cat's.
Their change interval is 250 000km and i was at 165 so i thought what the hell.
Also some people stated that if you change only one sensor, the other one often goes out right after?
Get bosch sensors, not ebay crap.

Anyway i would first make sure that you really have problem with your sensor before replacing them,
i'm not familiar with that code and if it's something to worry about or not.
Is your car idling and pulling normally? Maybe take some logs and look for afr's.

Someone with more knowledge can chime in more.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi folks. Car popped the 2C32 code on my e93 n54 with 69k. This is a few 100 miles after my VRSF downpipes were installed. I read its common so I guess I need to replace bank 2 precat 02 sensor. I am going to attempt to do it myself but I have a few questions -

If one of your O2 sensors is bad, I'd change them in pairs. It shouldn't be too difficult to get out since the O2 sensor has been recently installed. I like the wrench you posted in the picture simply because it gives you leverage. However, I like options; so I'd purchase both wrenches. It's sort of tight in there.

The easiest way to access the down pipes is to move the power steering rack. Reverse torx & 16mm wrench. The thin heat shield can be bent out of the way to allow access.

Of course you'll need to take the air filter shelf, VC engine cover & air box off up top.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like I got a vote for replacing both. The car is an 09 with low miles but I guess its one of those items like you said that is bound to go. If im under there, and it seems like you have to take bank 1 out anyway, I mine as well do both. I guess what I save in labor, im still ahead of the game doing both.

Also seems like ill need a stubby because it appears that most have good luck just squeezing up in there and using it to break it free. Then it can be unthreaded by hand. It was JUST removed a few 100 miles ago when I had the DPs installed.

Last thing I need to know is if there is alot of bracing keeping me from being able to follow the online DIYs I have found, and how much more of a pain it'll be on the e93 vs a standard e90/e92.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Beisofmarko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Last thing I need to know is if there is alot of bracing keeping me from being able to follow the online DIYs I have found, and how much more of a pain it'll be on the e93 vs a standard e90/e92.
Should be just same as the e90/e92 according to pelican parts.

Just remove undertray, remove the two torxes on steering rack and slide it 2 inches
or so towards the front bumper and bend heat shield away just like mweisdorfer said
and you have room to stick your hand in, still quite tight but doable.

When installing new sensors to downpipes, you should twist the sensor few turns
opposite way of tightening before connecting it to downpipe
so when you start tightening it, it won't twist the wiring so much. If that makes sense.

Also the bosch sensors are same product as genuine sensors but half the price, fyi.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #6
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the input. Gonna end up giving it a shot when I have time. Also going to replace the plugs since I'll be right there and the access is easy. For 6 bucks a piece why not, been 20k-ish miles. Hopefully I'll be back to running smooth once the sensors are working correctly, and I got some new plugs. Had a slight hesistation with no code. Perhaps these can sovle that issue. If not, could next.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #7
Christian87n
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BSM 335is DCT

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Gonna end up giving it a shot when I have time. Also going to replace the plugs since I'll be right there and the access is easy. For 6 bucks a piece why not, been 20k-ish miles. Hopefully I'll be back to running smooth once the sensors are working correctly, and I got some new plugs. Had a slight hesistation with no code. Perhaps these can sovle that issue. If not, could next.
Consider replacing the post cat o2 sensors as well. I had the same code for 6 months and it was only resolved by replacing the bank 2 post cat sensor. The precat sensor, injectors (had a leaky one), and valve cover seals (smoke test found leaks) were replaced and it kept coming back. Apparently, if the post cat is faulty, it may not allow the precat to fully calibrate or read properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #8
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's a good point.....I'm gonna try 2 out of the gate for now. I just had DPs installed a few hundred miles ago so I think it's common on the upstream.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

I loosened steering rack and made
My own stubby 22mm you cant find one in stores you either have to order one or make your own
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
kylerwinters
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

I have that wrench and it works great! I'm glad I bought it!
Make sure you undo the connector first and route it all of the way out before you unsrew it. Do the reverse for install. When I screw them in, I make sure to use one hand to twist the cable while turning the o2 sensor with my other hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Replaced the upstream sensors. Replaced the plugs just cause. Also the shop found a cracked bank 2 gasket between the pipe and turbo.

No cel yet, but it keeps throwing the code. Somewhat of a bummer. Not sure what's next. Hoping the cel doesn't come on, but hate that the codr is lingering.

Should I do the post cat sensors? Are those more or lesx expensive and are they hard to get to? Seems crazy but I'm at a loss.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
Fapster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I Convertible

As an owner of a e93 and having to replace the waterpump recently, there are additional bracing. It would look like this underneath:
/ - brace, & - filler so the image positioning would show up in the forum, spaces would not work.
Front of Car
________________/&&\
_______________/&&&&\ Top Section
______________/&&&&&&\
_____________/&&&&&&&&\ <---This location bolts right before the front jacking location. You can see the bolt from the side of the car
_____________\&&&&&&&&/
_____________\&&&&&&&/
______________\&&&&&/ Bottom Secion
_______________\&&&/

I had to remove the two braces in the top section. Pretty easy to do (4 bolts) and you do not have to take the lower underbelly off (of course you have to take the upper underbelly off). That said, the 02 sensors are south of the waterpump and you may have enough room, I don't remember. If not, the braces are pretty easy to get off.

Last edited by Fapster; 08-24-2018 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0