E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni shocks - nylon? washer

12-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Koni shocks - nylon? washer

Good morning all,

Finally got all my parts in the mail Friday evening, so today I'm trying to dry fit everything to the new shocks and struts to make sure I have everything before doing this for real. This is a set of Koni "Special Active" shocks for my E92 335i. I ordered them and a "cup kit installation kit" from ECS Tuning, as I'm pretty sure at least my bump stops are completely roached and I figure best at this point to start completely fresh. If there are some parts that are reusable to go in the spares bin that's fine but I really don't expect many.

So far between realOEM and a how to video I think I have everything figured out for the rears. The lower nuts included in the install kit didn't work because the Konis have a different thread but that's OK because they included Nylocs with the struts. (now the first rear I opened I believe had the nut for the front in it, so that was not reassuring, but the other rear had two nuts in it.) Unfortunately it looks like these won't get done today because I'll need to go to Harbor Freight and get some trim tools; I didn't realize but should have expected that I'll have to pull the trunk carpet.

In the same baggie with the lower shock mount were two nylon? washers with a split in them. What are those for? It almost looks like they could sit between the shock body and the bump stop? Don't see them in any instructions or exploded diagram.

BTW is it just me or is it weird to require diagrams and parts lists to install shocks? On all the old cars I've worked on everything has been completely self evident. I guess if I had the car on a lift it would be easier, but I don't - I'll be doing this in the driveway so I'm trying to plan around limited time and daylight.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
MrFrizzzz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Good morning all,

Finally got all my parts in the mail Friday evening, so today I'm trying to dry fit everything to the new shocks and struts to make sure I have everything before doing this for real. This is a set of Koni "Special Active" shocks for my E92 335i. I ordered them and a "cup kit installation kit" from ECS Tuning, as I'm pretty sure at least my bump stops are completely roached and I figure best at this point to start completely fresh. If there are some parts that are reusable to go in the spares bin that's fine but I really don't expect many.

So far between realOEM and a how to video I think I have everything figured out for the rears. The lower nuts included in the install kit didn't work because the Konis have a different thread but that's OK because they included Nylocs with the struts. (now the first rear I opened I believe had the nut for the front in it, so that was not reassuring, but the other rear had two nuts in it.) Unfortunately it looks like these won't get done today because I'll need to go to Harbor Freight and get some trim tools; I didn't realize but should have expected that I'll have to pull the trunk carpet.

In the same baggie with the lower shock mount were two nylon? washers with a split in them. What are those for? It almost looks like they could sit between the shock body and the bump stop? Don't see them in any instructions or exploded diagram.

BTW is it just me or is it weird to require diagrams and parts lists to install shocks? On all the old cars I've worked on everything has been completely self evident. I guess if I had the car on a lift it would be easier, but I don't - I'll be doing this in the driveway so I'm trying to plan around limited time and daylight.

thanks!
Yeah it is pretty weird to have those washers. When I got mine the rears came with two nyloc nuts in each and the fronts came with one each. With regards to the rear shocks and washers. From what I remember one sits on top of the shock body. Then the cover and bump stop go on. Then the other washer sits on top of the bump stop. Then the rest of the mounting kit goes on top of that washer. At least that’s how I fitted mine!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrizzzz View Post
Yeah it is pretty weird to have those washers. When I got mine the rears came with two nyloc nuts in each and the fronts came with one each. With regards to the rear shocks and washers. From what I remember one sits on top of the shock body. Then the cover and bump stop go on. Then the other washer sits on top of the bump stop. Then the rest of the mounting kit goes on top of that washer. At least that’s how I fitted mine!
I only got two washers and two nuts to fit the rears and two nuts and one washer for the front? but it doesn't look like the washer for the front would do anything?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I'm not saying it's correct, but I didn't install the nylon washers.

Incidentally, I just used them this afternoon when installing a toilet in my house
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
MrFrizzzz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 BMW 335d

Quote:
I only got two washers and two nuts to fit the rears and two nuts and one washer for the front? but it doesn't look like the washer for the front would do anything?
I don’t think my fronts even came with washers... Don’t think there would be an issue whether you fit them or leave them off tbh.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Good morning all,

thanks!
The nylon washers have a couple different purposes...
They sit at the base of the shock shaft on top of the shock body, but below the bump stops.
Positioned here, they prevent the bump stops from creating a suction on the top of the shock body when the shock is compressed. That's why the washer is slotted. Air escapes and the bump stop won't have a suction/pressure on the shock body.
The nylon washers can also serve suspension packers. In this way, they're used to tune the length, effect, and action of the bump stops. They add a small amount of spring rate under certain conditions, by causing the bumpstops to come into play sooner (an amount equal to the height of the washer).

All of that being said, I don't know which of these reasons, or combination of these reasons, Koni includes them for in this particular E9x application. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between using them or not.

If you leave them off, you gain a small amount of compression travel.
It decreases your wheel (think spring) rate ever so slightly.
You may hear extra noises from the bump stops on rare occasion.

Include them if you want everything as Koni intended and have all of the pieces.
If not, you are not hurting anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

so I just had to ask out of curiosity, and this was the official reply

e white plastic bump plate for the rear is the first thing you will slide down over the shocks piston shaft, and it sits on top of the body as shown in the photo below. The front struts do not require the white bump plate because the crimped on silver spring seat, keeps the bump stop from hitting the top guide seal of the damper, unlike in the rear shocks which is why the plastic plate is included. They just help to keep the bump stop from hitting the seal of the shock in deep compressions.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Interesting. I'd still rather not have them flapping about on top of my shocks!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Just occurred to me what these are probably actually for; Sandwich them between the top mount foam and the washer (not between foam and chassis), and they will compress the foam down so the mount is stiffer. Another way of achieving the same would be to trim down the steel sleeve in the centre of the bushing.
Appreciate 0