E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Install SSD in CIC

06-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #199
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

StevenN

Installed the Syba CF to IDE Adapter and Kingston CF card, and it works as long as the CF Card is installed as "Slave".

It was able to update to the 2021 Maps, without issue, in ~40 mins.

We'll see if this keeps up, or if it will have the same issues as the mSATA drive over time. (As CF cards are just straight IDE drives, without TRIM or any other SATA features, I'm pretty sure it will just act like a normal HDD)
Appreciate 1
POBEP365.50
      06-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #200
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagaer View Post
StevenN

Installed the Syba CF to IDE Adapter and Kingston CF card, and it works as long as the CF Card is installed as "Slave".

It was able to update to the 2021 Maps, without issue, in ~40 mins.

We'll see if this keeps up, or if it will have the same issues as the mSATA drive over time. (As CF cards are just straight IDE drives, without TRIM or any other SATA features, I'm pretty sure it will just act like a normal HDD)
Jagaer - thanks for the update.

For me, the Micron mSATA works great (for now).

Should you decide to stay with CF card, I'll be happy to take your mSATA adapter off your hands for my E70
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 03:39 AM   #201
StevenN
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
Jagaer - thanks for the update.

For me, the Micron mSATA works great (for now).

Should you decide to stay with CF card, I'll be happy to take your mSATA adapter off your hands for my E70
I could not get mine to work, however, I had the CF installed as a, "Master" I have also chopped one of the pins off. I was also not sure if this was because I was using UDMA7

On looking at your pictures, I see you have not cut any pins off, are using UDMA7 and have it installed as a Slave.

I have now ordered another CF Adapter, whereby I will give this another go, without cutting any pins off
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 03:32 AM   #202
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenN View Post
I could not get mine to work, however, I had the CF installed as a, "Master" I have also chopped one of the pins off. I was also not sure if this was because I was using UDMA7

On looking at your pictures, I see you have not cut any pins off, are using UDMA7 and have it installed as a Slave.

I have now ordered another CF Adapter, whereby I will give this another go, without cutting any pins off
Hi Steven,

Have you had a chance to retry this with a new CF adaptor?

I just tried and failed to get a PATA SSD to work - could no longer find the Zheino, so ordered a KingSpec one from AliExpress. All copied fine using Paragon (raw sector by sector), but the car wouldn't recognise it.

Having seen this update from Jagaer, I'm now thinking about going the CF route instead. The Kingston 128gb UDMA7 memory card is no longer available so I'm keen to know if any other brand 128gb UDMA7 memory card would be compatible.

Last edited by dar2008; 07-05-2021 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 03:16 AM   #203
StevenN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Hi Steven,

Have you had a chance to retry this with a new CF adaptor?

I just tried and failed to get a PATA SSD to work - could no longer find the Zheino, so ordered a KingSpec one from AliExpress. All copied fine using Paragon (raw sector by sector), but the car wouldn't recognise it.

Having seen this update from Jagaer, I'm now thinking about going the CF route instead. The Kingston 128gb UDMA7 memory card is no longer available so I'm keen to know if any other brand 128gb UDMA7 memory card would be compatible.

Yes, this worked perfectly.

From looking into this issue with changing the HDD to SSD I have identified the following issues, and possible reasons for the MSATA failing, PATA SSD Working and the CF Alternative:

1: MSATA And Adapter
Using a MSATA with an adapter does not work. SSD's need to be able to utilise something called, "Garbage Collection" this with the later "TRIM" function allows the drive to be deleted. For whatever reason, (Probably the MSATA controller) the MSATA does not utilise the garbage collection properly, resulting in a filled unusable drive. See the link below for other people who have experienced this problem:

https://www.podfeet.com/blog/2016/03...ge-collection/

2: PATA SSD
Using a PATA SSD does seem to work for some people. If someone has a PATA SSD and has deleted music collections, updated maps etc please let us know, however, I think the reason why PATA SSD's do and possibly work is becuase the "Garbage Collection" works through the HDD Controller. The MSATA Controllers just don't seem to work properly. I am ignoring the later utilised TRIM commands, as QNX4 Does not support it.

The usage of a PATA SSD, this is something which could be worth investigating further, however, as the cost of a PATA SSD is considerably more than a Compact Flash and adapter, this may not be a viable alternative.

3: Compact Flash
Compact Flash. This utilises the old standard dating back to 1994. It works exactly as a normal HDD, and to about 99% of operating systems appears as a normal HDD. The drawback is that the cost going back a few years was fairly prohibitive. This has now changed, however, an example of cost would be a 128gb MSATA can be purchased today for around £25.00 whereas a 128Gb Compact Flash is around £65.

Possibly going back to September 2008 when the CIC was first utilised in the 7 Series and used QNX 4, was the reason why the Toshiba HDD was chosen. QNX 4 did not support SSD's and a suitably sized Compact Flash was probably not available, or if so, the cost would have been completely unviable.

Compact Flash Adpater
Using the adapter as shown in the previous links, like myself, my cloning adapter would not fit, as the alignment pin is in place. You will need to cut this out. This I would suggest by aligning a 2.5" PATA HDD up and checking and double checking the pins and cutting it out. (a simple small cutter will work) I am unsure if this is required for the CIC, I believe the original poster to this thread has not done this. I only needed to to connect to my adapter.

On running this with the Compact Flash, I have deleted the HDD music collection twice, updated the maps and no issues.

I then tried this with the MSATA, (As the car was in pieces again) I decided to try this. The MSATA failed again. Music collection became unusable, I did not even try to update the map, as it became obvious it had failed as the CD player would no longer work.

The CD Player not working was the first indication I experienced, that something was not working properly when I had the MSATA installed. Then I discovered the HDD music collection also not working or available. Up until this point, there had been no obvious sign that something was amiss, I had not tried updating maps, I simply could not play CD's or access the HDD music collection. It could be a case that many people have the MSATA installed and have not noticed anything amiss either, the CD player is the first and easiest way to determine that something is wrong, it simply will not play.

Summary and conclusion
In summary, it seems that the Compact Flash is the most suitable upgrade, however, I may be talking a complete load of rubbish, and if people have experienced different, pleae let us know.

Last edited by StevenN; 07-20-2021 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #204
StevenN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Hi Steven,

I used this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But this has jumped in price, so there is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-12...c=1&th=1&psc=1

And this is the adapter you need:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
dar2008302.50
      07-25-2021, 02:53 AM   #205
goggo1
Registered
Austria
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hi, everyone
First of all thanks for the instructions and sorry for my bad English.

A few years ago I exchanged the HDD for an SSD on my 135I. Everything worked without any problems, but I can't update the map. So I bought a CF card with the right adapter and have to do everything from scratch.

I am now making the mount points.

mkdir hbmedia
mkdir hbdebug
then
mount -t qnx6 /dev/hd1t77.4 / root / hbmedia
mount -t qnx6 /dev/hd1t77.5 / root / hbdebug

everything worked out until now.

How do I get the two folders from the virtual machine or how do I make a backup of them now?

When I close the virtual machine, the folders are deleted.

Unfortunately, I don't know my way around Linux very well. I usel Linux Mint 20.2 as Mainsystem.
Would be great if someone could help me.

I managed it .... I formatted a USB stick with Rufus, then I was able to address him in the file manager.

Now it works perfect!

Last edited by goggo1; 07-25-2021 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Solution
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #206
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d xDrive F11 '12

Unhappy Lost in the dash...

Hi guys,

First of all I would like to thank Jagaer and everyone here for sharing their knowledge. You have no idea how much money you saved to everyone by just sharing your knowledge.

Let me share my experience... My wife came back from work the other day with a CIC screen showing nothing but darkness. Fearing that the Hard Drive would die before I could make a copy of it, I disassembled the dashboard and made a copy of the Drive with this adapter: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00JEVDRNS/...ing=UTF8&psc=1.

Then I bought a Syba CF card reader and a 128GB CF card and redeployed image to this new flash combo drive. Inserted it in the CIC, and checked if the CIC would reboot and work as expected by pressing the volume button until the BMW logo appeared on the screen. But... The music collection would stay greyed out and the map would not work ("feature not available" or something like this). The hard drive related information would show "No information" and it would fail at erasing the music collection.

I made sure to install the CF card in the Slave port of the Syba Reader and used the exact same 'dd' commands and options provided in the tutorial. I also made sure that the partition table was the exact same as the original disk (and could mount every partition within the Neutrino QNX image).

Here's the hardware I have used:

- Inateck USB to SATA/IDE interface: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00JEVDRNS/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
- Syba CF card readed: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- 128GB CF card: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I made 3 different images from the initial Drive. One using 'Selfimage' (Windows 10) and two others using 'dd' and 'dd-rescue', and tried the three of them. None of them would work on the Syba+128GB CF. Note that dd-rescue could not spot any signle defective sector on the TOSHIBA drive.

I managed to mount all partitions of the cloned drive (the Syba+CF card) and copy their data using the QNX Neutrino VM. So I'm sure that the cloning is ok.

I also tried a Sandisk Extreme Pro MicroSD Card with this adapter (carefully plugged with the CIC been disconnected): https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The CIC would not recognize it either.

So I suspected the Inateck USB to SATA/IDE interface being the culprit here since the USB interface Jagaer used was different. So I bought
- this USB to SATA cable: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- this IDE to SATA adapter: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But using these two adapters, I can't even access my TOSHIBA Drive to make a new copy of it.

I'm totally lost now and have no idea what to do next. I believe there's some sort of protection that BMW implemented to make sure this TOSHIBA Drive wouldn't be replaced. My last move will be to test this USB to SATA adapter: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I don't have much hope that it will work

I will probably send all this hardware back to Amazon since I can't figure out something that works.

Do you have any idea why my December 2011 CIC unit won't work with this Syba+CF card?

Best regards,
V1.

Note: When I put the original drive back in the CIC unit, music collection and sat nav works fine.

Last edited by VodkaOne; 07-28-2021 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #207
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

Ok so this USB to Sata Adapter does the job apparently and allows me and my Fedora 34 to talk to the BMW TOSHIBA drive: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now dd'ing to image. I'll let you know. :-)

V1.

Last edited by VodkaOne; 07-28-2021 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #208
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

Unhappy

It did not work any better. Restored image is unsuable. Nav does not work neither the music collection. Very disappointing. I'll try and order a real 2.5" Pata Drive, or wait until it dies and see if my dd image is fine.

The multimedia hardware seemed very outdated and cheap for a 2011 BMW (looking at the CIC internals and vents controls). A car that I bought 74k€ and whose transfer case is failing for the second time in 3 years... Very disappointing.

V1.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #209
StevenN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaOne View Post
It did not work any better. Restored image is unsuable. Nav does not work neither the music collection. Very disappointing. I'll try and order a real 2.5" Pata Drive, or wait until it dies and see if my dd image is fine.

The multimedia hardware seemed very outdated and cheap for a 2011 BMW (looking at the CIC internals and vents controls). A car that I bought 74k€ and whose transfer case is failing for the second time in 3 years... Very disappointing.

V1.
OK. So you may have 2 issues here:

1: The adpaater you ae using, you mention you have tried using two adpater, probably joined together.

2: The HDD cloner is possibly not suitable for QNX

So try the following

This adapter:

https://www.amazon.fr/Inateck-Adapta...dDbGljaz10cnVl

And use this Cloning software:

https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

The Syba adapter is what I have used, and it works, the compact flash is UDMA Compact flash 7, and works, the only thing different, is the cloning software and adapater to the PC. Also, the CF needs to be on Slave, and ensure you are mounting it the correct way around!

Try the above, this should all work ok for you
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:23 AM   #210
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

Hello @StevenN,

The Inateck adapter is actually the one I used in the first place (before trying the USB to Sata cable and Sata to IDE combo) and with several bit to bit cloning tools (dd, dd-rescue, selfimage). I'll give an ultimate try with HDD Raw Copy and let you know.

Maybe it's the UDMA7 CF card that's incompatible.

V1.

Last edited by VodkaOne; 07-29-2021 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:14 AM   #211
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

Ok, I've made a new image of the TOSHIBA Drive using HDD Raw Copy Tool and the Inateck UA2001 adapter and redeployed this image to the Syba+CF UDMA7 (slave) combo and it still doesn't work. Well, actually:

- it works with the navigation as long as I do not restart the CIC. That means I can navigate to areas I've never been zooming in and out over these areas. The map works ok. It works as long as the CIC is not restarted, so I know that the QNX partitions are ok and that the data is there. But once the CIC is restarted, for example after the car is stopped for a while, or when I press the volume button for approx. 30 seconds, then the map will not work anymore, saying that this feature is disabled / not available.

- music collection never works whatever I try, that is when HDD is swapped with Syba+CF without the CIC being restarted or even after restarting the CIC. It just never works and the collection remains greyed out and erasing the collection is not possible.

Could it be that the CF Card I use is crap? https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I may give this one a try but man it's not cheap: https://www.amazon.fr/Transcend-Cart...mputers&sr=1-8

Has anyone tried this KingSpec 128GB PATA Drive? https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32625...96e0ae9b178a-9

V1.

Last edited by VodkaOne; 07-30-2021 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #212
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

VodkaOne

If the CIC boots, but Nav and Music are greyed out, it means the SSD is not detected. (Either it is not set to slave, or the partition table is bad)

If Nav is working, but does not work after a reboot, and music never works - It is likely that the SSD was never working. (I haven't tested this scenario, but it is possible that Nav seemed to work because the previously viewed areas are stored in cache)

The system is picky about the adapter, but pretty much any CF or SSD will work. The quality of the CF or SSD affects reliability, not if it will work.

I doubt that it is your CF itself, since the Syba is known to work. I'm still going to guess that there is some issue with the clone.

If you have a linux boot disk, can you run

Code:
 fdisk -l /dev/sdb
** Substitute "sdb" with your CF drive. You can check your CF drive letter by running dmesg, and looking for your CF drive. I'm looking for the offsets (Start & End sectors) and partition types, to make sure that they match.
Code:
dmesg
(Je l'ai écrit en anglais, pour la benefit des autres.)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #213
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

Quote:
VodkaOne

If the CIC boots, but Nav and Music are greyed out, it means the SSD is not detected. (Either it is not set to slave, or the partition table is bad)
Hi Jagaer,

Thank you for showing up! :-) Ok so maybe the CIC does not recognize the Syba adapter as, my CF is in the slave slot, and the partition table is the same as the original drive, at least on the fdisk -l output.

Quote:
If Nav is working, but does not work after a reboot, and music never works - It is likely that the SSD was never working. (I haven't tested this scenario, but it is possible that Nav seemed to work because the previously viewed areas are stored in cache)
Well that's what I thought too (current zone being in cache) so I moved the map to Istanbul, TK where I've never been in my whole life and the map showed up with all the details at each zoom level.

Quote:
I'm still going to guess that there is some issue with the clone.
I'm running Fedora 34 every day (as I'm a sysadmin). I made sure that fdisk -l /dev/sdb provided the very same informations for original drive and cloned Syba+CF (sector unit size, start end end sectors of every partitions, partitions sizes, partition type, etc.).

Using 'dd' as a tool I can't figure out why the clone would not be the exact same bit-to-bit copy of the original drive. Maybe connecting a serial (COM) cable to the CIC unit would help understanding what's wrong. Any tutorial somewhere on how to do that?

Bests,
V1.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #214
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

VodkaOne Have you tried a straight clone? (Without expanding the partitions)

Interesting that maps work until a reboot...I have no idea why that would be the case...

With a straight clone everything should work, including the Music partition. If it doesn't, and both drives are bit-for-bit identical, then something is wrong with the card or the adapter. It shouldn't make a difference, but I cloned the drive from the Toshiba to an image on my PC, then cloned the image to the CF card using a CF Card Reader. (Again, the IDE adapter shouldn't make any difference for a bitwise clone)

If you can ftp into the CIC, you can check the debug logfile, but it typically isn't much help.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #215
Mert335d
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335d LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
I bought the KingSpec PATA SSD 128gb from Aliexpress.
Does anybody tested this SSD ?
I would like to copy with HDD Raw Tool and write the file to the PATA SSD.

Do I have to format the SSD before ? Or does the HDD Raw Tool completes everything itself ?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 03:46 AM   #216
VodkaOne
Private
France
Rep

Hi Jagaer

I did try a straight clone with several different tools including dd but It wouldn't work after CIC reboot.
Had to send all the hardware back to Amazon. The only thing I did not try was to image the cloned drive (CF) and check that the md5sum was identical to the one of the HDD image.

Mert335d

You don't need to do anything to prepare the new KingSpec drive. HDD Raw Tool will take care of every bit. Lets us know how it goes with this KingSpec drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #217
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert335d View Post

Do I have to format the SSD before ? Or does the HDD Raw Tool completes everything itself ?
I tried a KingSpec PATA 128gb sometime ago which didn't work unfortunately.
Ended up getting one of those KRHK adapter and Dogfish SSD which has been working great even with upgrading maps
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 05:25 AM   #218
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert335d View Post

I also tried the Kingspec PATA SSD, but couldn't get it to work in the CIC, so I'm about to try the CF route instead.
      09-09-2021, 03:21 AM   #219
TH4X
Running In The Night
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E92 320i & F31 328i

What an excellent guide. I'll be trying this soon and hopefully don't run into any issues
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #220
Mert335d
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335d LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
The Kingspec PATA SSD 128gb will not work. Tried it several times but without success.
Appreciate 0