E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Depo FX-R 3.0 retrofit

06-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by demented328 View Post
Heres pics of my retro I did. Needs a lil angle adjustment which will fix if I do a color band mod.

Depo Euro housings
Black out w/silver shroud
TRS FX-R 3.0 projectors
Morimoto 4300k D2S
HPB canbus ballast
60 uhp led rings

I think I am going to do this retrofit. I plan on using the v.2 depo's with the led corners. I really like that look. Do you think I will run into any problems using the depo v.2 version?

Also what wattage were your d2s morimoto bulbs 35W or 50W? I want to order the right parts.

Where did you get the HPB canbus ballast? Did you change the angel eyes? If so where did you get them? Will I need anything else?

Thanks!

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
demented328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Part time e90

35w bulbs. Same led rings that it came with. Ballast is from HighPerformanceBulbs.com. If your going to code then you don't need the ballast from HPB. I haven't coded mine yet and I wanted to stay error free.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I went with 55w bulbs and a 50w canbus ballast because the halogens are 55w. With the exception of the lowbeam cover, everything is done and on the car. I got the 90 degree angled D2S to amp cable, should have gotten the straight cable. Can't close the lowbeam cover till that arrives. Drove around, no errors. When I had the 35w bulbs, I got errors and the lights flickered till I got error cancellers. No error cancellers, no flickering and no errors...so far. Got the DAOS wire harness to hopefully be able to run my angel eyes as DRLs. These fish ake angel eyes are incredibly bright, even in the daylight. Will take pictures of beam pattern later after I try to adjust it some more. Not perfect, but I don't think I'll be blinding anyone and will probably be able to see fine at night. At the very least, they are level.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
csupernova
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

wow. sharp cutoff! Definitely better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
demented328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Haha did the same too. I had to return the 90's for straights. Im curious if the 55w bulbs light up the dark spot better where the two steps meet. Post the pattern when u can.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
demented328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Oh yah I have the angel eyes wired to an ignition source (cig) so they stay on when the car is on and to the footwell light so they act as welcome lights as well. Then also wired in a resistor so they get dimmed when the parking light are on cuz they are hella bright at night.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #29
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I was an early adopter to the depo headlights, guess it was the V1??. With the original depo 35w bulbs/ballest, it flickered like crazy, gave me error codes at every use and one headlight even shuts off if the weather is cold. I've only been driving around for one day with my retrofitted depos using 55w bulbs and 50w canbus ballest, but I am not using any error cancellers and the lights are not flickering at all and so far, no error code. No coding was done either. Don't know if it's because of going to 55w or because of the canbus ballest, just happy about no errors.

Need to get some black tape to put on top of the light for that bit of bleed through. Had to remove the original tape when I baked the headlights open. These pictures were taken with my Droid razr maxx. In person the HID's at the headlight on the pattern look straight up white to me and the angel eyes look mostly white with a tinge of blue.

My driveway is not flat

Not perfect, but close enough for me. Far better than the original depo projector and angel eyes that were on there. My passenger side adjuster did pop out though, so gonna have to see about getting that back in and then try to adjust the pattern some more. I think the hotspots are because of the base on the Morimoto bulbs and that can be taken cared of...easily....I think...

I don't think I am blinding anyone, but people are staring at my lights a lot. I thought one person was flashing me or maybe he went over a speed bump. Looking at my beam, I'd think it's not aimed high enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
klove83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3

Garage List
I am really interested in doing this retro on my car. I bought the headlights now I just need to get the projectors.

Couple questions:

Is there a harness needed to go from the DS2 bulbs to factory wiring?

Are you using the same mounting points on the stock Depo projector for the FX-R?

Are you reusing the Depo shroud or do you get another one to fit better?

Thanks!
      01-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #31
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by klove83 View Post
I am really interested in doing this retro on my car. I bought the headlights now I just need to get the projectors.

Couple questions:

Is there a harness needed to go from the DS2 bulbs to factory wiring?

Are you using the same mounting points on the stock Depo projector for the FX-R?

Are you reusing the Depo shroud or do you get another one to fit better?

Thanks!
Yo dawg I'm real happy for your headlight retrofit, and Imma let you finish...but that is a seriously beautiful charger you have inherited!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #32
klove83
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red E90, Red E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Yo dawg I'm real happy for your headlight retrofit, and Imma let you finish...but that is a seriously beautiful charger you have inherited!
I haven't retrofitted anything yet just need some advise lol

And thanks I love my charger