E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mob17's E92 335d - 422bhp - 1M BUMPER

10-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #133
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Yeah perhaps,but I've never had limp modes or codes. And the car feels fine, doesnt feel like its lost any power. It did lose power at santa pod and that was the vacuum pipes,which have been sorted now.

But maybe there is a boost problem. Physically everythings been checked and no leaks are present. I checked boost pressude with the torque app, and it read 37psi. It includes atmospheric pressure so after deducting that it is 22.5, which is lower than stock. The boost should be 36-39psi according to Ecotune, and i'm sure this figure excludes atmospheric pressure.

However the car feels just as fast, definitely faster than stock, perhaps theres something wrong with my boost measuring methods...
Certainly an interesting one then. Maybe no issues and just couldn't get the traction to get a proper dyno run for some reason but certainly strange.
Yeah thats possible as the car seems fine. Might just try and get a physical max boost reading somehow.

Anyways a little update. The 672lb/in rear swifts were fitted today. A bit annoying that some of the bolts in the toe arms were siezed. Also the alignment was done, with slightly less toe at the front.

The rear feels a lot better now i took it for a little spin and there is noticeably less squat, and less lateral movement when cornering hard. Feels more solid at the back, easier to feel what the car is doing and feedback re the grip is better now. Not sure if i need the subframe bushes, but like most suspension upgrades, i'll probably find something to change in a few months the more i get used to it.

I am still suprised how good the ohlins dampers are. I have upped the rear spring rate by 68%, but the ride is still very compliant. Even at 4 from full hard it handles speed bumps and potholes with ease, quite smooth. Also another effect of the 1 inch shorter swifts is that although my ride height is the sane, theres more adjustment to go up or down now, with the stock ohlins rear spring the height was adjusted to near the max.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #134
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

You have arguably the best 335D in the country Mo. Very envious indeed and I bet the handling has improved massively. In for further mods and updates and BOY am I glad you have kept this!
      10-23-2015, 05:46 AM   #135
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Cool upgrade on the rear springs. I know you've had them sat there a while. I'm still yet to feel the need to change them yet to swifts but this is good to know if I do need to go this route.
      10-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #136
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
You have arguably the best 335D in the country Mo. Very envious indeed and I bet the handling has improved massively. In for further mods and updates and BOY am I glad you have kept this!
Thats very high praise especially coming from you! Not sure about the best, there are some stunning examples on here including yours.

I too am so glad i kept it. Car feels sublime now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Cool upgrade on the rear springs. I know you've had them sat there a while. I'm still yet to feel the need to change them yet to swifts but this is good to know if I do need to go this route.
Thanks Raj.

Yeah had them for ages! Still got the solid subframe bushes sat waiting, its just harder to justify the spend now with the new little Mo coming lol.

Was thinking of meth recently but going back to handling for the next few mods i think. Really want an LSD but thats going to have to wait until prices come down me thinks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #137
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thinking of going to a track taster day at Rockingham, which is only 25 miles away. They have one on the 8th Nov, 30mins for £30, seems like good value and a nice way to get into tracking. Plus my rear are at 3mm so they definitely won't last a full day

Bedford is the safest choice but they dont do any taster sessions annoyingly.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:38 AM   #138
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Am heading to Rockingham circuit this Sunday for the taster. It looks like rain is scheduled. Might get slippy especially with 3mm rears.

Can't wait though. Should get a better understanding of how good my brakes are and generally the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 05:11 AM   #139
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Am heading to Rockingham circuit this Sunday for the taster. It looks like rain is scheduled. Might get slippy especially with 3mm rears.

Can't wait though. Should get a better understanding of how good my brakes are and generally the car.
Cool. If raining then yes the lesser tread depth will make it a little more twitchy for sure. However if it's dry then will make it even better LOL.

I might be doing Silverstone in December which I do really like as a circuit.
      11-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #140
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cool. If raining then yes the lesser tread depth will make it a little more twitchy for sure. However if it's dry then will make it even better LOL.

I might be doing Silverstone in December which I do really like as a circuit.
Yes i was hoping it would be dry, but what better way to learn on a damp track

Really wish i could join you Raj, do they do the full F1 circuit? That's my dream track day
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #141
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes i was hoping it would be dry, but what better way to learn on a damp track

Really wish i could join you Raj, do they do the full F1 circuit? That's my dream track day
Yes it is the full circuit and if I go you should join me.
      11-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #142
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is the full circuit and if I go you should join me.
I really wish i could Raj, but i would like to get some experience before taking Silverstone on. It's also nearly £300, but i reckon that price will be well worth it once i've had more track time and experience. Plan is to go to a full track day at Bedford after this taster session, then perhaps Silverstone if i feel good.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #143
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just came back from Rockingham. Went for a taster session, so had half an hour around the track. There were only 7 of us in the session, that that eased my nerves somewhat.

In the briefing the instructor did say it was very slippy, like someone's poured olive oil on the track. And that was right. It was so slippy. I couldn't go WOT even at 80mph in 3rd. Under heavy braking the rear was snaking around, with the traction control saving me. Exiting corners was the same, a few times the rear was let loose. I pressed the DTC button once, so not fully off.

I did manage some good laps however. Had the Ohlins at 1 click from stiff at the front, and 2 clicks from stiff at the rear, and the car was so flat around the corners. Perhaps i shouldn't have gone so stiff due to the conditions, but it just felt like the right thing to do. The brakes seemed very good too, didn't feel any fade whatsoever, and the car was slowing down fast. I did feel some judder when braking hard from 100mph+ through the steering wheel, not sure if thats normal?

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would recommend a taster session to anyone who is thinking about going to a track day. I think i might go to a full day sometime next spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #144
AirAndre335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Pre Lci

Great Stuff! Any over heating issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #145
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndre335i View Post
Great Stuff! Any over heating issues?
Not really. I was out driving for a full 20 minutes and probably did 7-10 laps (didn't count). I monitored my coolant temp and the max it read was 100 degrees, which i think is ok.

It was the brakes which were disappointing. I felt massive judder towards the end of my stint, felt like an earthquake, which is when the brake temps got too hot for the pads i was using (EBC Yellowstuff). I guess in that situation you would cool them off. But i am not happy as they are marketed as Road and Track, which they are not. Last time EBC Yellows are going on this car, but to be fair they are decent pads for the road.

I was happy with the pedal though, it never once hit the floor and was firm throughout, which in my little knowledge would say its the steel lines and ATE fluid.

I think when my EBCs run out i will be changing them to better pads for road/track use. I am also thinking about running ducting from my fog delete to the brake discs.

I just want to do one more taster session in the dry, to get a better idea whether i should do the subframe bushes and m3 arms or lsd. I'll probably have to wait until the spring knowing British weather
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #146
AirAndre335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Pre Lci

Sounds like the pads did ok!

When i get regular road pads i would feel brake fade after 3-5 corners of heavy braking and would pull in ever 3 laps to let it all cool down! So 7-10 laps is pretty damn gd mate
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:38 AM   #147
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Mo, time for BBK me thinks! Alcons!!!!
      11-11-2015, 05:04 AM   #148
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Not really. I was out driving for a full 20 minutes and probably did 7-10 laps (didn't count). I monitored my coolant temp and the max it read was 100 degrees, which i think is ok.

It was the brakes which were disappointing. I felt massive judder towards the end of my stint, felt like an earthquake, which is when the brake temps got too hot for the pads i was using (EBC Yellowstuff). I guess in that situation you would cool them off. But i am not happy as they are marketed as Road and Track, which they are not. Last time EBC Yellows are going on this car, but to be fair they are decent pads for the road.

I was happy with the pedal though, it never once hit the floor and was firm throughout, which in my little knowledge would say its the steel lines and ATE fluid.

I think when my EBCs run out i will be changing them to better pads for road/track use. I am also thinking about running ducting from my fog delete to the brake discs.

I just want to do one more taster session in the dry, to get a better idea whether i should do the subframe bushes and m3 arms or lsd. I'll probably have to wait until the spring knowing British weather
Are you still on stock discs Mo? I did yellow stuff pads, steel lines and ATE fluid with the discs that are dimpled and slotted. You can really hear them wafting like fans when you drive. I imagine there's a bit of extra cooling ability in the design alone.

Definitely like the idea of running a path for cooling the brakes but I want to keep my LED foggies
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #149
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndre335i View Post
Sounds like the pads did ok!

When i get regular road pads i would feel brake fade after 3-5 corners of heavy braking and would pull in ever 3 laps to let it all cool down! So 7-10 laps is pretty damn gd mate
Yeah you could be right, i've never used regular road pads, so maybe they weren't as bad as i thought. I mean i definitely didn't have brake fade after 3-5 corners! I can't remember what exact lap the juddering started, but i'm guessing it was around lap 5-6.

I just feel that next time i would like some more track orientated pads. been speaking to a brake pad expert who swears by Carbotech brakes... But undecided if i should get a dedicated set or not, because there will be more dust and noise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Mo, time for BBK me thinks! Alcons!!!!
Haha in my dreams. They are way too expensive!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #150
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Are you still on stock discs Mo? I did yellow stuff pads, steel lines and ATE fluid with the discs that are dimpled and slotted. You can really hear them wafting like fans when you drive. I imagine there's a bit of extra cooling ability in the design alone.

Definitely like the idea of running a path for cooling the brakes but I want to keep my LED foggies
No i have the EBC slotted discs, so not the turbo groove ones you posted. I also have ate fluid, reckon that's good enough for most things.

I think i have two options now. Run OEM discs and cheap ish road pad for daily, then same discs and some carbotech pads for the track. The Evo guys swear by them, rate them better than Ferodo and Pagid RS. Or run one pads for both, but that could introduce noise and dust...

Anyways get rid of those fogs and put some ducting in there
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #151
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

It could have been your rears that were overheating? Especially if its on stock rear pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #152
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I remember the first time I boiled the brake fluid on my motocross bike. The brakes stopped working without notice. I thought it was a brake fluid leak as I could fully depress the brake levers and nothing happened. Once the fluid cooled down they worked as normal.

The weight of a car and braking forces involved on a track, without giving the disks/ pads chance to cool down are going to test any braking system.

AWSAWS – I have the same disks, but green stuff pads. I have not noticed them being noisy.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #153
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

I take it mo that you won't be selling it anytime soon?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #154
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Glad you had fun. It can get very addictive for sure as the adrenalin kicks when you feel the back squirming lol. So when's the next venture out?

As for brakes, it's a tricky one tbh. I've tried loads of different combinations and none of them have been able to perform on both road and track combined as one will always have to be a compromise. Getting a good 7 ish laps out in one go is good for road/track pads etc.