E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turner catted downpipes= wasted money and time= advice on reliable options?

02-24-2023, 05:50 AM   #1
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 N54

Turner catted downpipes= wasted money and time= advice on reliable options?

greetings!
i recently installed the Turner catted downpipes and although they're giving me a bit more HP, i'm not able to pass emissions. but i wasn't very surprised judging from the gas fumes i smelled immediately after i fired her up. so it's no wonder i've gained a bump in HP, there's nothing restricting the flow. it's very annoying because downpipes are a huge pain in the ass to do. very disappointed in Turner Motorsports.

can anyone here with experience recommend reliable catted downpipes? one that will function for 5 years or more? i saw someone post that they had good experience with CPE. there's also AR design and Magnaflow also makes one. so once bitten, twice shy, i'm hesitant to give this another shot. i don't want to waste more time and money and have to deal with it again. cat delete isn't an option for me.

i've got a Cobb catback, accessport V3, DCI, charge pipe, intercooler and forge divertor valves.

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

I'm of no help since I don't have to deal with emissions but I'd assume any of the catted downpipes are high flow thus not doing that good of a job controlling emissions. If they did wouldn't any sports car come with high flow cats from the factory? Could always add another high flow cat and see if you pass?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #3
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agypsy View Post
greetings!
i recently installed the Turner catted downpipes and although they're giving me a bit more HP, i'm not able to pass emissions. but i wasn't very surprised judging from the gas fumes i smelled immediately after i fired her up. so it's no wonder i've gained a bump in HP, there's nothing restricting the flow. it's very annoying because downpipes are a huge pain in the ass to do. very disappointed in Turner Motorsports.

can anyone here with experience recommend reliable catted downpipes? one that will function for 5 years or more? i saw someone post that they had good experience with CPE. there's also AR design and Magnaflow also makes one. so once bitten, twice shy, i'm hesitant to give this another shot. i don't want to waste more time and money and have to deal with it again. cat delete isn't an option for me.

i've got a Cobb catback, accessport V3, DCI, charge pipe, intercooler and forge divertor valves.

thanks in advance!

Really no point in going performance catted. You might as well stick with the oem pipes if you are worried about emission testing and smell. Yes they do stink.
Why are you wanting to upgrade? For sound? For power? In my experience, gains on both will be very small since you already have a exhaust system.
      02-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #4
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I thought you could pass inspection with 1 monitor not ready and thus be fine with catless downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:09 PM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I had the same issue with AR units they worked for a few months then started throwing efficiency codes. AR advertised them as not throwing codes then I raised a stink, they told me to get lost and promptly removed the claim that they are code free, so a waste of 500 bucks over catless which would have got me more performance, maybe I at least get a bit less rasp and ya since they are a pain in the ass to take in and out I just kept running them, but catless is the way to go as none of the cat'd options work to stop a code, only useful for visual inspection, so go catless if you can and run a DPFix to tell the ECU that all is good (for offroad use only of course) and you have to find one. Also, if I recall the issue is that you can't pass inspection if you have a code, so you have to suppress the code with your tune, but I think that may cause 2 not ready messages as it disables the 02 heaters also on some years if not all.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:35 PM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I've had Cobb catted and AR resonated dp's installed now, you need to have a tune installed regardless of catted or catless. No fault of Turner at all.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50
      02-24-2023, 12:59 PM   #7
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Really no point in going performance catted. You might as well stick with the oem pipes if you are worried about emission testing and smell. Yes they do stink.
Why are you wanting to upgrade? For sound? For power? In my experience, gains on both will be very small since you already have a exhaust system.
yes in hindsight, really no need. i purchased without doing porper research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I thought you could pass inspection with 1 monitor not ready and thus be fine with catless downpipes?
yes that's the case but my CEL comes on.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 01:02 PM   #8
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I had the same issue with AR units they worked for a few months then started throwing efficiency codes. AR advertised them as not throwing codes then I raised a stink, they told me to get lost and promptly removed the claim that they are code free, so a waste of 500 bucks over catless which would have got me more performance, maybe I at least get a bit less rasp and ya since they are a pain in the ass to take in and out I just kept running them, but catless is the way to go as none of the cat'd options work to stop a code, only useful for visual inspection, so go catless if you can and run a DPFix to tell the ECU that all is good (for offroad use only of course) and you have to find one. Also, if I recall the issue is that you can't pass inspection if you have a code, so you have to suppress the code with your tune, but I think that may cause 2 not ready messages as it disables the 02 heaters also on some years if not all.
thanks for replying! yes, i made the wrong decision. i didn't really think it through nor researched enough. i didn't realize i was taking a chance until it was too late.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 01:04 PM   #9
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM n54iS View Post
I've had Cobb catted and AR resonated dp's installed now, you need to have a tune installed regardless of catted or catless. No fault of Turner at all.
thanks for replying! i'd rather not go through the uninstall process. would the MHD app clear the codes or able to hide it?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 01:13 PM   #10
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

You need the dp fix to get the cat/O2 monitors ready for emissions.
The only monitor that can be not ready is the evap monitor, in CA at least.

Catted DPs over stock make a noticeable difference in power.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 02:32 PM   #11
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
You need the dp fix to get the cat/O2 monitors ready for emissions.
The only monitor that can be not ready is the evap monitor, in CA at least.

Catted DPs over stock make a noticeable difference in power.
thanks for chiming in. wouldn't i be able to use the MHD flash instead? i'm fine with uninstalling the Accessport and switch to MHD. seem like MHD is the better way to go anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 02:36 PM   #12
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

AFAIK, MHD will only keep the SES from being illuminated. Once an obd2 scanner is hooked up, it’ll show monitors are not ready/codes.

If the tech inputs in the system that the SES is off but the smog system sees faults for the car, you could get flagged by the system and need to go to highway patrol for an inspection, which would be a nightmare.

What state are you in?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #13
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, MHD will only keep the SES from being illuminated. Once an obd2 scanner is hooked up, it’ll show monitors are not ready/codes.

If the tech inputs in the system that the SES is off but the smog system sees faults for the car, you could get flagged by the system and need to go to highway patrol for an inspection, which would be a nightmare.

What state are you in?
hello, thanks for replying. i'm in NYC. yes that would be a total nightmare. i really appreciate the info! is the VRSF the one to get?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #14
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

I’m not sure which one. VRSF seems like a reputable brand, so if they carry it, then sure.
My dp fix has a dial. I’ve read some people cannot get the dp to work right away and they need to adjust the dial.

Not sure NY laws, but in CA, you cannot have a tune flashed on the DME, even if monitors are ready. The smog system will read it and automatically fail and MIGHT flag you for highway patrol.
DME needs to be stock and monitors ready. Your mods look like the car can run the stock map with no issues. Next hurdle is visual inspection, if NY does that.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 04:14 PM   #15
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

You need a tune for aftermarket downpipes, then the monitor will stay not ready. If they use a sniffer in NY, then you won't pass regardless but the reason your light came on is because your tune is designed for OEM cats. I've heard good things about the Cobb catted DPs, but any aftermarket stuff is going to have more smell than OEM cats.

Get a DP fix or tune and you should pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #16
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I’m not sure which one. VRSF seems like a reputable brand, so if they carry it, then sure.
My dp fix has a dial. I’ve read some people cannot get the dp to work right away and they need to adjust the dial.

Not sure NY laws, but in CA, you cannot have a tune flashed on the DME, even if monitors are ready. The smog system will read it and automatically fail and MIGHT flag you for highway patrol.
DME needs to be stock and monitors ready. Your mods look like the car can run the stock map with no issues. Next hurdle is visual inspection, if NY does that.
i haven't been able to find the VRSF with the dial like yours. i've only found the adapters that plug into the O2 sensors. like this one from ARM.

https://www.armmotorsports.com/produ...oaAguLEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 04:47 PM   #17
Agypsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
You need a tune for aftermarket downpipes, then the monitor will stay not ready. If they use a sniffer in NY, then you won't pass regardless but the reason your light came on is because your tune is designed for OEM cats. I've heard good things about the Cobb catted DPs, but any aftermarket stuff is going to have more smell than OEM cats.

Get a DP fix or tune and you should pass.
hi whyzee, thanks for replying. do you have a link for one? i can only find the adapters that plug onto the O2 sensors from ARM. i can't find the VRSF one. i hope they didn't discontinue them.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 05:46 PM   #18
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:

What state are you in?
At least as of now NY doesnt check for OEM software and MHD will suppress the SES light. However it does leave the catalyst monitor not ready however NY allows one monitor to not be ready so it should pass as long as they aren't stickler for visual inspection.

In my experience shops care more about tint here than tire wear, brakes,cats or anything else
      02-24-2023, 06:38 PM   #19
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

In CA you can have 1 monitor not ready but it can only be the evap.
You NOW also cannot have any permanent codes stored in the DME or you’ll fail, even if all monitors are ready and there is no present codes. This is 2010+ model years…
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 11:35 PM   #20
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agypsy View Post
can anyone here with experience recommend reliable catted downpipes? one that will function for 5 years or more?
The stock ones.

There's no halfway. Run modded downpipes or dont. My stockers are 130k old and never flinched on an emissions test. Super reliable, great fitment. the car's literally tuned for them.

If you want to lower backpressure, temps, extend turbo life and go faster, go catless.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 11:39 PM   #21
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

What state are you in?
Couldn't he just clear codes right before the test?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 11:50 PM   #22
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Couldn't he just clear codes right before the test?
No, because then his monitors would not be ready to
Pass the obd2 test.
Appreciate 0