E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > IDrive HD Professional version no Internet access?

09-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
IDrive HD Professional version no Internet access?

I have got my BMW Connected account set up so I can download Maps from Google and checkout weather and news etc. Except I can not get the Internet option to work?

Does the Internet feature use my mobile phone provider to work, or uses its own connection like the other BMW Connected features?. If it uses its own connection then why is is not working?

I am sure I have read that other guys have had this feature working in the UK, or is it down to the area that you are located?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Sport View Post
I have got my BMW Connected account set up so I can download Maps from Google and checkout weather and news etc. Except I can not get the Internet option to work?

Does the Internet feature use my mobile phone provider to work, or uses its own connection like the other BMW Connected features?. If it uses its own connection then why is is not working?

I am sure I have read that other guys have had this feature working in the UK, or is it down to the area that you are located?
Internet option is a German feature, not available in the UK

You should be able to do a google search, etc and get google weather but not full internet. You can get RSS news feeds (I get the Formula 1 feed and BBC news) and things like that.

The send to car feature is great, especially when using google maps at home. Simply search your destination then click 'Send' - 'to car' - then choose 'BMW', country 'UK', connected drive 'username' and presto, the location is sent to the vehicle. Next time you start the car an envelope should be flashing in the idrive display to indicate you have a message. In the message should be an icon to choose 'start navigation' - brilliant stuff and I use it quite a bit now
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Internet option is a German feature, not available in the UK

You can get RSS news feeds (I get the Formula 1 feed and BBC news) and things like that.
Well, most of Europe gets it except good old blighty!! Same as TMC is free everywhere except the UK where manufacturers have to pay for it!!

M3-FAST, when I set up an RSS feed, I just get the headline visible, but cannot select it to get any more info on the story. Is that what you get??

So I just get a load of short sentence headlines, basically the RSS header, like 'sunday F1 results' and that's it...

Pretty crap if thats the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
I have the older style that has no RSS feeds but i'm buggered if I can get it to initialise. It needs a five bar signal for the embedded card to work after that it will work on one bar and roam the networks. But the T Mobile signal around here is shit so it never gets a strong enough signal to download all the settings
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
bigsymo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Well, most of Europe gets it except good old blighty!! Same as TMC is free everywhere except the UK where manufacturers have to pay for it!!

M3-FAST, when I set up an RSS feed, I just get the headline visible, but cannot select it to get any more info on the story. Is that what you get??

So I just get a load of short sentence headlines, basically the RSS header, like 'sunday F1 results' and that's it...

Pretty crap if thats the case.
i have the same problem as doughboy with the rss feeds on my 2009 pro satnav. anyone know how to open them?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsymo View Post
i have the same problem as doughboy with the rss feeds on my 2009 pro satnav. anyone know how to open them?
Using the iDrive wheel can't you highlight the chosen title then click the idrive wheel. This works for me to open up the story in full. I also went on the BMW Connect drive website to choose my RSS feed as well, set mine to the BBC news.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Using the iDrive wheel can't you highlight the chosen title then click the idrive wheel. This works for me to open up the story in full. I also went on the BMW Connect drive website to choose my RSS feed as well, set mine to the BBC news.
Only just spotted this thread again!

As above, I am pretty sure thats how you do it. Will try tomorrow and see
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's how I open them.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

On mine the RSS header is not 'clickable'.

How do you set it?

I find the rss link on-line, then cut and paste the link into the BMW connected drive RSS page and send to the car?

eg:

http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonl...ion/uk/rss.xml

But the from the car i can't click on the headers, i just get a list of stories...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
bigsymo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
On mine the RSS header is not 'clickable'.

How do you set it?

I find the rss link on-line, then cut and paste the link into the BMW connected drive RSS page and send to the car?

eg:

http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonl...ion/uk/rss.xml

But the from the car i can't click on the headers, i just get a list of stories...
same as me - its driving me mad!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ok, had a play in the car tonight, with the iDrive you have two news feeds,
(a) one you can not change, (factory set)
and
(b) 'My News' which you can set using by identifying your own chosen the RSS feed.

With (a) you can highlight the titles of the various stories and click to read them in more detail, however with (b) I am able to to see the titles of the various stories but not able to select select them.

I have just gone to https://www.bmw-connected-drive.co.uk/ and tried the 'BMW ConnectedDrive - Online portal simulator' the same problem happens here as well with 'My news'???

On the website it says:

"Edit My News.

The news in the following list can easily be changed or deleted. Follow the link "Add new news" to add your preferred RSS news feeds to your list. BMW ConnectedDrive offers you a unique service using RSS technology (Really Simple Syndication). It provides you with a selection of the latest news from internet sources, which can be defined as you desire. Through these RSS news feeds, titles and short summaries of news items from websites will be visible directly in the Control Display of your BMW. This gives you quick access to your favoured news topics and enables you to keep in touch. You can save up to 10 RSS news feeds in the BMW ConnectedDrive website."

So from this it looks like you can only see the titles and short summaries : Why (a) works but (b) does not

Last edited by Estoril Sport; 10-08-2009 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Are we entering the right data??

I'm pasting in an HTTP web address to an XML page that contains RSS links....

Is that right? or is there some other RSS link we should be using???

eg http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonl...ion/uk/rss.xml
Appreciate 0