E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need Some Advice on Fix

10-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Need Some Advice on Fix

Hi All!!

Two weeks ago I picked up a 2013 335is w/60K. It wasn't until after I got it home that I realized that it had a few issues. Now, to my thinking (I'm not a mechanic), I"m thinking that a few of these problems are actually one problem with multiple symptoms. I'm trying to figure out the problem myself to make sure that I need help before I just hand it off to my indy (since I won't deal with my local dealership anymore). Here's the issue:

My car has the Premium Pkg and the Alarm. But the first thing I noticed was that my Adaptive Headlights don't turn off when in "Auto". They should be off during the day and then as it gets dim, the lights should come on, but they are ALWAYS on. So I started looking at the light sensor and that was when I realized that the compass on my mirror, the Garage Door buttons and the auto-dimming function on the mirror are all not working. And since I don't know exactly how the Alarm works, I don't think that it's turning on. If it is, then the "clown nose" on the underside of the mirror is not coming on (I'd heard that if you have the alarm, it will "chirp" or make some kind of noise when it's activated/deactivated, but since my 2011 E90 335i didn't have one, I don't know).

As stated, I had a 2011 E90 335i w/Sport Pkg & Premium Pkg, so I know about the Auto Adaptive Headlights, the Garage Door buttons, the Compass and the Auto-Dimming function on the mirrors.

My first look was fuses, but since it's hard to decipher what's what, I just started looking at every individual fuse to see if they're OK, and then started looking at the empty sockets to see what the fuse guide said they were to see if they might be pertinent. I don't really know where to go from here, short of start taking the console & dash apart (the other issue I have is that the ashtray light doesn't work as well as the cigarette lighter). I had a thought that perhaps the sensors had been messed up if the windshield had been replaced, but since it still has the BMW Logo on it, my assumption would be that it hasn't been replaced. The Auto Wipers seem to work, but since we haven't had much rain, it's kind of hard to tell if they're working the way they should be, but since they did change speed a bit during the rain the other day, I'm assuming that the sensor is working correctly.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated, so please chime in. I posted this last week in the Mechanical Maintenance/etc... Forum but got no replies. Thanks in advance!!
      10-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

First step in diagnosing the E9X is to get a BMW-capable scan tool and read the codes. A good BMW scan tool will allow you to test the various systems to check their operation. All of those systems are controlled by computer module, most likely the footwell module. A BMW scan tool scans each computer module and finds the trouble codes stored. Once you find the codes, that will help lead you to the faulty device causing the symptom.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
First step in diagnosing the E9X is to get a BMW-capable scan tool and read the codes. A good BMW scan tool will allow you to test the various systems to check their operation. All of those systems are controlled by computer module, most likely the footwell module. A BMW scan tool scans each computer module and finds the trouble codes stored. Once you find the codes, that will help lead you to the faulty device causing the symptom.
Forgive my ignorance, but aside from a dealership, any idea where to get ahold of one of these? I tried a regular scan tool and it showed me nothing.

BTW, thanks for the info. I appreciate it!
      10-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but aside from a dealership, any idea where to get ahold of one of these? I tried a regular scan tool and it showed me nothing.

The Foxwell/ Schwaben scan tool can be bought at:

1) Foxwell's website
2) Amazon
3) ECS tuning
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
Quote:

The Foxwell/ Schwaben scan tool can be bought at:

1) Foxwell's website
2) Amazon
3) ECS tuning
OK. I was checking out the scan tools and was ready to pull the trigger on the Scwaben Scan tool made by Foxwell, but then came across the NT520 Foxwell Scan tool which is about $50 cheaper. Everything I've read online says the NT520 is the better tool, but thought I'd ask if anyone has used either of these tools (or the NT510 which the NT520 replaces) and if so, what were their thoughts. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
      10-10-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you want something that will do everything
Inpa suite and Ista D using a PC and K/D can
best one from Bimmergeeks.net

This will allow you to do coding and update
software as needed.

See the coding sub forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Since the car needed a software update, I decided to go ahead and bring the car to a dealer, if for no other reason than to make sure that my problems were not a software issue. While it was here, they found that they could not do the update because the alarm and the rain/light sensor were not communicating with the computer. They then decided to go ahead and do a bit of diagnostic on their dime and found the culprit:

Turns out that whoever had the car before me decided to cut the wiring harness off where the overhead lights are. The two plugs are nowhere to be found. Why would someone do this? They also noted that the overhead light console appears to be a used replacement. So now I will have to find a donor vehicle to get the plugs from because the harness is one of the main body harnesses and even they said that it would be ridiculous to replace.

Perhaps someone can direct me to where I can start finding information on how to go about repairing this. It's a bummer, but luckily it doesn't affect the running systems on the car so I can take my time to understand the problem and find a reasonable solution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      10-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

First thing is you need the part number of that wiring harness.
If you can't get a specific part number because it can only be had when buying full overhead light unit, then get part number for that.
Head to ebay or to your nearest junkyard.

Use realoem website or ask the dealer for part number.

Edit: hybrid90, I just saw you had 227 posts... pretty sure you know about all I've said above
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
First thing is you need the part number of that wiring harness.
If you can't get a specific part number because it can only be had when buying full overhead light unit, then get part number for that.
Head to ebay or to your nearest junkyard.

Use realoem website or ask the dealer for part number.
They're supposed to call and email me tomorrow with the quotes and part numbers. In the meantime, I'm scouring the parts websites trying to find the correct P/N's. I'm also looking for a how-to on removing the overhead light so I can start inspecting it myself so I know what I'm in for when the time comes to do the work.

Thanks for the tips!!
      10-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country