E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > weird Wrinkles around hood badge ?

10-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Mythic Man 25
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i XDrive

Question weird Wrinkles around hood badge ?

when I bought my E90 it was snowing and raining so some of the cosmetic damage was hidden but i noticed these weird wrinkles around the hood badge and grille they aren’t cracks they are kind like small wrinkles? I’m assuming the hood was re painted and they did a shit job. Any fixes?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Yeah, that whole hood has been patched and resprayed. I can see the bondo sand marks and orange peel in that photo.

There really isn't an ideal solution other than a proper respray of the hood - would cost around $400-$600 USD, unsure of the cost in the great white north.

You can try posting the same question and photos over at the autogeek forums as well, and get a better answer from all the paint and detail professionals over there, but I think they are going to give the same answer, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Mythic Man 25
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Yeah, that whole hood has been patched and resprayed. I can see the bondo sand marks and orange peel in that photo.

There really isn't an ideal solution other than a proper respray of the hood - would cost around $400-$600 USD, unsure of the cost in the great white north.

You can try posting the same question and photos over at the autogeek forums as well, and get a better answer from all the paint and detail professionals over there, but I think they are going to give the same answer, unfortunately.

so its probably as bad as I thought it was ill ask my trusted shop on what can be done. I had cracking bondo on my C class bumper and the whole bumper did not have to be sprayed and they made it look seamless. so hopefully something similar can be done….
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic Man 25 View Post
so its probably as bad as I thought it was ill ask my trusted shop on what can be done. I had cracking bondo on my C class bumper and the whole bumper did not have to be sprayed and they made it look seamless. so hopefully something similar can be done….

No worries, man. Let us know how it turns out.

Be sure to get a quote for both a full hood repaint and for blending. Most of the costs associated are for labor, and you may find that it is nearly the same price to just do the whole hood.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
Mythic Man 25
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No worries, man. Let us know how it turns out.

Be sure to get a quote for both a full hood repaint and for blending. Most of the costs associated are for labor, and you may find that it is nearly the same price to just do the whole hood.
TBH the paints condition is pretty beat the front bumper is ravaged with road rash, your usual rock chips, swirls and marring, some scuffs on the bumper and a long scratch from the car getting keyed. It’s my daily driver and it stays outside but I want it to be at least 80% perfect as im OCD AF but the hood wrinkles will be the first thing to get fixed. I’ll keep it updated on this partial restoration
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
Mythic Man 25
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Update

Went to my trusted shop and they said the good news is that it won’t spread anymore but if it really bothers me I’m looking around to $700 Canadian... give or take. He said he can try sanding it and matching it saving me around 300 but they can’t tell how deep it goes so if they go too far they will have to paint all of it. I’ll think it over during the winter and see how i feel in the spring... get it done along with the other stuff
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #7
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update

Went to my trusted shop and they said the good news is that it won’t spread anymore but if it really bothers me I’m looking around to $700 Canadian... give or take. He said he can try sanding it and matching it saving me around 300 but they can’t tell how deep it goes so if they go too far they will have to paint all of it. I’ll think it over during the winter and see how i feel in the spring... get it done along with the other stuff
Glad to hear it fell into the range I was expecting. Maybe see if they can do the front bumper that you said is banged up as well? Might be able to get them done as a package for a discount or something.

Also - depending on the rest of the condition of the car and if you want it to look great or just 'perfect from afar, but far from perfect' - might be worth getting an estimate from one of the econo shops, like Maaco, etc. Would probably be half the cost, but of course half the quality as well. Just depends on what your end result is that you desire.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

It may also be worth looking into getting a used hood that didn't have any damage.

If you can luck out on getting the same colour that would help you significantly.

Then take the car to your shop and tell them to fix the bumper and blend it on the new-used already painted hood.

Hope this helps: http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
(I see a listing in Edmonton, maybe give them a call)
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
Mythic Man 25
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
It may also be worth looking into getting a used hood that didn't have any damage.

If you can luck out on getting the same colour that would help you significantly.

Then take the car to your shop and tell them to fix the bumper and blend it on the new-used already painted hood.

Hope this helps: http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
(I see a listing in Edmonton, maybe give them a call)
thats actually a good idea ill look into it thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
Mythic Man 25
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thats actually a good idea ill look into it thanks
Gave a call and unfortunately they don't sell just the hood you have to buy the headlights and other components as well which I don't need. Was worth the look tho
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #11
Mythic Man 25
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear it fell into the range I was expecting. Maybe see if they can do the front bumper that you said is banged up as well? Might be able to get them done as a package for a discount or something.

Also - depending on the rest of the condition of the car and if you want it to look great or just 'perfect from afar, but far from perfect' - might be worth getting an estimate from one of the econo shops, like Maaco, etc. Would probably be half the cost, but of course half the quality as well. Just depends on what your end result is that you desire.
My end goal would be something like 75-80% from perfect remove all the scuffs and scratches that make you look like you can’t drive and have the paint mostly in good condition be shiny and only minimal swirls, have the rock chips touched up. It will sit outside and be my daily driver so I have set my expectations accordingly.

The front bumper just has some road rash and chips which is expected and not too bad. the rear bumper as a spider web like crack at the lift gate and some cuffs on the side and the rest of the body just needs a good polish.

Here are the prices to do a restoration including any scuff repair, respray, plastic weld.
$700 for the hood
$450 front bumper
$450 rear Bumper
$350 2 stage cut polish and any chip repair

might just do the bumpers and polish but time will tell when winter passes in Alberta.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #12
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Another place you can call and inquire about getting a new hood

https://www.partshub.ca/
Appreciate 0