E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake and rotor replacement

01-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #23
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
Doing my brakes and rotors tomorrow. Watched the videos and read the diys. Any advice anyone wants to add that might be of use?
Get SS rotor screws from ECS tuning.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #24
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Just curious....but why would you not use synthetic brake grease on the caliper pins like you do on other vehicles?
Get silicone based brake grease. Silicone won't degrade the rubber boot over time. CRC makes the best. I think they call it Silaramic

If you really want to improve e pedal feel, get the Brass sleeves & SS pins from ECS tuning. You will have to re-grease the caliber pins once a year, if you go this route.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Since "F30" has done this "more than once or twice" on his E90 nearing 400,000 miles, (it AIN'T his "first rodeo" ;-) I will NOT presume to question ANYTHING (NADA ;-) he suggests.

Simply to show the importance of using CORRECT procedures from a RELIABLE SOURCE (which "F30" is, because that is what HE has DONE -- XX Times ;-) I attach two links from TIS which he has referenced generally: (1) Removing & Installing Brake Pads & (2) Guideline for Applying Brake Pad Paste:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...brakes/GPdgPL4
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...kes/1VnXU6erZU

NOTE: 34 11 000 states:
Clean guide screws only; do not grease.
Check threads.
Replace all guide screws which are not in perfect condition.
While Video's and Forum DIY's MAY offer some additional insight for an inexperienced DIY endeavor, such as photos or concept explanations that were NOT offered in TIS or Bentley, I would suggest NOT relying on those for anything MORE than supplementation of TIS & Bentley (and folks with years of experience like "F30" ;-)

You will see a LOT of different statements and concepts expressed on the Web or in the Forums. It takes experience to learn which ones to follow and which ones to dismiss, so start with reliable sources, and question anyone who tries to tell you something different. Don't fall prey to "Believe ME"

George
Perfectly stated. The availability of newtis massively made BMW ownership easier. Back in the day (2006 LOL) when there was no Bentley service manual for the E90 and no newtis, one had to pay a $35 one-day fee to get on the real BMW TIS. I spent a day hoovering as many E90 procedures as I could since I was racking up 800+ miles a week on my car. Having 18+ years at the time wrenching on BMWs helped a lot too. Even the Bentley lacks in some areas IMO, but it's great on explaining the theory of a lot of systems in the E90. I've seen a few videos and boy are things done far differently than what you or I would do.

However, I deeply bow to you for your prowess on fault isolation and repair logic, especially on the electrical system. Your service to the Forum is immeasurable Sir.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Get SS rotor screws from ECS tuning.
Why BMW doesn't make the rotor screw out of 10.9 or 12.9 I'll never know.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #27
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Why BMW doesn't make the rotor screw out of 10.9 or 12.9 I'll never know.
Some engineer got a phat raise for saving them an additional 4 cents per car.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17365.00
      01-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #28
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Since "F30" has done this "more than once or twice" on his E90 nearing 400,000 miles, (it AIN'T his "first rodeo" ;-) I will NOT presume to question ANYTHING (NADA ;-) he suggests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Perfectly stated. [Particularly that part quoted above, I presume ] The availability of newtis massively made BMW ownership easier...prowess on fault isolation and repair logic, especially on the electrical system...
Having owned and personally maintained Jaguars since 1969, Lucas (Prince of Darkness) made it mandatory to be able to read circuit diagrams & do basic system testing. When I bought the E91 in 2017, and found TIS (newtis), I realized how essential it was to take the time to learn (1) what was in it, and (2) how to quickly find component or system info.

Although I have NOT had any issues with my E91 in 3 years of ownership (other than 2 or 3 occasions of random misfire in the first two weeks of ownership, due to .055" to .060" enlarged plug gaps, cured by a plug change), I have gotten a BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable, downloaded INPA/ BMW Standard Tools, and tried to learn all about proper BMW diagnostics. As you state, TIS is the KEY if you take the time to learn how to use it.

I have done that by reading posts on the Forums, reviewing the applicable TIS circuit diagrams, and trying to figure out possible causes of the issue based upon how I perceive the schematic(s) to show a particular system works. Some engineering background helps, but it's actually something that ANYONE with a logical and enquiring mind can do with the help of TIS, IF he has the time to do it.

Anyone who has NOT tried it, just enter the last 7 characters of your vehicle's VIN in the following home page (change the language from "en" (English) to your primary language, Bookmark or save URL of resulting page, and learn what's there, at least for YOUR specific vehicle.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

For those who don't realize all the FREE DIY support that exists for E9x owners, attached is a pdf of "E9x References." Please suggest any helpful sites known to you which are NOT included. If you know of a REALLY good site for SIB search, please advise. I have NOT updated this in nearly a year, so some links may be outdated -- please advise. One such is VIN Decoder. Instead, use:
https://www.mdecoder.com/

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 38 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:51 AM   #29
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Having owned and personally maintained Jaguars since 1969, Lucas (Prince of Darkness) made it mandatory to be able to read circuit diagrams & do basic system testing. When I bought the E91 in 2017, and found TIS (newtis), I realized how essential it was to take the time to learn (1) what was in it, and (2) how to quickly find component or system info.

Although I have NOT had any issues with my E91 in 3 years of ownership (other than 2 or 3 occasions of random misfire in the first two weeks of ownership, due to .055" to .060" enlarged plug gaps, cured by a plug change), I have gotten a BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable, downloaded INPA/ BMW Standard Tools, and tried to learn all about proper BMW diagnostics. As you state, TIS is the KEY if you take the time to learn how to use it.

I have done that by reading posts on the Forums, reviewing the applicable TIS circuit diagrams, and trying to figure out possible causes of the issue based upon how I perceive the schematic(s) to show a particular system works. Some engineering background helps, but it's actually something that ANYONE with a logical and enquiring mind can do with the help of TIS, IF he has the time to do it.

Anyone who has NOT tried it, just enter the last 7 characters of your vehicle's VIN in the following home page (change the language from "en" (English) to your primary language, Bookmark or save URL of resulting page, and learn what's there, at least for YOUR specific vehicle.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

For those who don't realize all the FREE DIY support that exists for E9x owners, attached is a pdf of "E9x References." Please suggest any helpful sites known to you which are NOT included. If you know of a REALLY good site for SIB search, please advise. I have NOT updated this in nearly a year, so some links may be outdated -- please advise. One such is VIN Decoder. Instead, use:
https://www.mdecoder.com/

George
Nice!

Only online parts seller I’d add is www.oembimmerparts.com. As promised, they carry the best (Oe manufacturer) at the best cost.

And yikes about the old jags - I’ve seen the Shim’s they used on the bodywork. Hard to imagine their electrical systems!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #30
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I use pliers to pull them out, and again to pull new ones through. The rubber is resilient. No grease used per instructions but you can use some silicone based grease to pull new ones through.

Cleaning the pins well is probably more important, because the pins become exposed and start to pick up dust as the pads wear. The new sleeves do feel more pliable, so I change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Ok thanks. I figured brute force to take them out but seemed like such a PITA to install and I didn't want to be stuck with no brakes

I'll give it a go if I find some that aren't in good condition.
Appreciate 0