E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP! Engine Light after battery replaced!

01-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
bimmer97
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 Xdrive

HELP! Engine Light after battery replaced!

Hi,
First time using a forum, but have read through many throughout the years!
I'm in need of some major help/ advice.

My 2011 335i xDrive e90 has just reached 80,000. It was due for an oil change and a new battery. This is the first time my BMW is out of regular and extended warranty. So I did some research and decided yesterday to take it to a local shop. They work with BMW quite often and assured me that all products/parts are OEM.

Got the car back and everything was perfect as it was before I took it to the shop... Today, as I was driving the yellow "service engine soon" light came on. I took it right back to shop as it is right next to my home. They ran a diagnostic test and it came up with a couple codes, but it said NONE were currently present. They cleared all the codes. After driving for ten minutes they came on again!! I called and was frustrated as my car was perfectly find before coming to the shop, but now the engine light keeps coming on.

The guy told me "the faults could be coming on now and NOT before due to having a weak battery... and when the new battery was installed the car NOW has enough power to talk to each other and display the faults"??? Idk but that sounds like total BS but I could be wrong, therefore. am posting on this forum!!!

Maybe the engine needs to be reprogrammed and registered again??? It wasn't properly installed? Im going back tomorrow. Ill list the codes bellow...

1.1 3876-Power management: central undervoltage
1.2 3392 Engine switch-off time, plausibility; Time too short in correlation to engine-coolant
2.55c3- VTG Transfer Case AWD limp-home control activated. NO DSC specified nominal torque

3. ABD DSC (Bosch) Dynamic Stability Control 6Ec4- DSC: Steering angle sensor, adjustment

*None of these codes were present at the time it was scanned
Thank you for any help and advise before hand
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

You have to register that battery to the car with software if I remember
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
bimmer97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_Crazy View Post
You have to register that battery to the car with software if I remember
The shop registered and programmed the new battery
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer97 View Post
Hi,

My 2011 335i xDrive e90 has just reached 80,000. It was due for an oil change and a new battery. This is the first time my BMW is out of regular and extended warranty. So I did some research and decided yesterday to take it to a local shop. They work with BMW quite often and assured me that all products/parts are OEM.

Got the car back and everything was perfect as it was before I took it to the shop... Today, as I was driving the yellow "service engine soon" light came on. I took it right back to shop as it is right next to my home. They ran a diagnostic test and it came up with a couple codes, but it said NONE were currently present. They cleared all the codes. After driving for ten minutes they came on again!! I called and was frustrated as my car was perfectly find before coming to the shop, but now the engine light keeps coming on.

The guy told me "the faults could be coming on now and NOT before due to having a weak battery... and when the new battery was installed the car NOW has enough power to talk to each other and display the faults"??? Idk but that sounds like total BS but I could be wrong, therefore. am posting on this forum!!!

Maybe the engine needs to be reprogrammed and registered again??? It wasn't properly installed? Im going back tomorrow. Ill list the codes bellow...

1.2 3392 Engine switch-off time, plausibility; Time too short in correlation to engine-coolant
2.55c3- VTG Transfer Case AWD limp-home control activated. NO DSC specified nominal torque

3. ABD DSC (Bosch) Dynamic Stability Control 6Ec4- DSC: Steering angle sensor, adjustment

Drive the car for few days and see if the battery charges in full. Maybe the battery is new but weak. These batteries could be sitting in a warehouse for who knows how long. So hopefully once it completely charges and the fault codes go away...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
BMW ONLY
Banned
Rep
Drives: N51 E92 328iC 2009

Quote:
Hi,

Lol. You are right. That is total bs. They have to code your car after replacing a battery. Otherwise your car keeps maintaining the last battery and all sorts of codes pop up. You can do couple of things:

First stop payment to those guys as they didn't do their job. Let them chase you and sweat for a couple of months.

Second, you can code it yourself. You need to buy Carly or BlueDriver and program it yourself. It will run you about 200 all in all.

Third you can visit the local stealership where they will fix this for you but fuck 5 other things up so you go back.

Welcome to the dark side.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
The shop registered and programmed the new battery
Are they a BMW only shop? Sounds like they did not register the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
bimmer97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Drive the car for few days and see if the battery charges in full. Maybe the battery is new but weak. These batteries could be sitting in a warehouse for who knows how long. So hopefully once it completely charges and the fault codes go away...
Thanks didn't think of that... Will drive on it for a couple days
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
bimmer97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW ONLY View Post
Lol. You are right. That is total bs. They have to code your car after replacing a battery. Otherwise your car keeps maintaining the last battery and all sorts of codes pop up. You can do couple of things:

First stop payment to those guys as they didn't do their job. Let them chase you and sweat for a couple of months.

Second, you can code it yourself. You need to buy Carly or BlueDriver and program it yourself. It will run you about 200 all in all.

Third you can visit the local stealership where they will fix this for you but fuck 5 other things up so you go back.

Thank you for calling out their shit. I was on edge on believing them only because I wanted to. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and tell them to re register/ program the battery... Ill be watching the whole time. If problem not fixed after that 100% stoping the payment and just gonna head to the dealer and tell them to fix it. I guess pay top dollar so you dont have to deal with this shit. Fuck the dark side
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
BMW ONLY
Banned
Rep
Drives: N51 E92 328iC 2009

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW ONLY View Post

Thank you for calling out their shit. I was on edge on believing them only because I wanted to. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and tell them to re register/ program the battery... Ill be watching the whole time. If problem not fixed after that 100% stoping the payment and just gonna head to the dealer and tell them to fix it. I guess pay top dollar so you dont have to deal with this shit. Fuck the dark side

I wouldn't go back to them. I can pop off a hose and throw a code for you even if you are watching the whole time. You will never notice it. If the car is running fine, I'd program it myself. The codes are not genuine, if and only if the car is running fine. Only you know if there are any changes as far as it running. Ignore the codes and get the Carly, which is useful for numerous other diagnoses. It will be handy. Keep us posted...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

BMW scanner.... cheapest option is probably C110+ ,$43 same-day on Amazon Prime

Bimmers throw a TON of brand-specific codes that regular scanners can't read

PS uncoded batteries do NOT throw SES lights
Appreciate 1