E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Are downpipes the way to go for more exhaust sound?

07-29-2018, 02:40 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Are downpipes the way to go for more exhaust sound?

I have a 2011 335is and I absolutely love the stock sound it's fantastic.

Already did the exhaust valve mod to.

Now I was wondering if downpipes would make it sound louder and still with the same tone?

Or if not, what are you current setups?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #2
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

They definitely help you should be able to easily find YouTube videos of cars with PE exhaust both with and without downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolsilver View Post
They definitely help you should be able to easily find YouTube videos of cars with PE exhaust both with and without downpipes.
It's difficult the find video of the 335is specefically as it's exhaust is different from even the M performance one.

What I would like it to car to do more backfires and pops especially when shifting.
Appreciate 1
Soden82477.00
      07-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolsilver View Post
It's difficult the find video of the 335is specefically as it's exhaust is different from even the M performance one.

What I would like it to car to do more backfires and pops especially when shifting.
I'm not sure that the 335is exhaust is all the different than the BMW Performance exhaust.

In my opinion, the only thing that is different is that the 335is has a flap in the driver's side muffler with an actuator on it. The PE exhaust does not. The PE exhaust might have slightly different packing, but that's the only real differences in my opinion. I think the mufflers are the exact same less minus the black tips vs silver tips
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I'm not sure that the 335is exhaust is all the different than the BMW Performance exhaust.

In my opinion, the only thing that is different is that the 335is has a flap in the driver's side muffler with an actuator on it. The PE exhaust does not. The PE exhaust might have slightly different packing, but that's the only real differences in my opinion. I think the mufflers are the exact same less minus the black tips vs silver tips
I've readonline that the IS had both straight pipes in the muffler box compared to some that were perforated.

But yeah maybe it was someone who wasn't to sure either.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I've readonline that the IS had both straight pipes in the muffler box compared to some that were perforated.

But yeah maybe it was someone who wasn't to sure either.
There are a couple images of the PE muffler cut open but none of the 335is mufflers cut open.

From a sound standpoint, they sound the exact same except the PE mufflers are louder. Hence, the fact that they don't have a flap & perhaps slightly different packing.

You'd have to compare them in YouTube videos.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There are a couple images of the PE muffler cut open but none of the 335is mufflers cut open.

From a sound standpoint, they sound the exact same except the PE mufflers are louder. Hence, the fact that they don't have a flap & perhaps slightly different packing.

I didn't know that alright I guess I'll look at more videos of PE exhaust with downpipes.

Just to be clear PE is the optional M performance exhaust right?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't know that alright I guess I'll look at more videos of PE exhaust with downpipes.

Just to be clear PE is the optional M performance exhaust right?

Again, almost identical in "note". The PE is louder & a little more throatier, but that's due to packing & no actuator.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Again, almost identical in "note". The PE is louder & a little more throatier, but that's due to packing & no actuator.
Yeah mine sound more to the PE than the 335is in the video due to my valve being open all the way now, but I think the PE is definitely a bit louder still. But the tone is the same.

Just watched some videos of 335i with PE and downpipes and wow sounds so good. I think I'll go that route.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Cobb high flow catted, valve open.

Warm idle:

Dyno:

If you want to keep the tone, stay with catted. Volume-wise, high-flow catted with valve open is just as loud as catless. I swapped Macht Schnell catless in for a week to test, it sounds hideous at WOT by comparison. Cobb catted produces no faults with all codes enabled for me on INA0S rom, I've had them in for 3-4 years now.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post

Warm idle:

Dyno:

If you want to keep the tone, stay with catted. Volume-wise, high-flow catted with valve open is just as loud as catless. I swapped Macht Schnell catless in for a week to test, it sounds hideous at WOT by comparison. Cobb catted produces no faults with all codes enabled for me on INA0S rom, I've had them in for 3-4 years now.
Hmm ok.

Altough in the videos the 335i with PE and catless downpipe sound good?

My friend told me no to do it because he did on his Cobalt but I figured it's just because his was a GM inline 4.

I'm also really looking at doing more backfires and more burples. Wouldn't having a cat remove help?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
RSL
Captain
Rep

Burble is same on high-flow or catless, but if you want to try to get flames out of the exhaust, you'll want to go catless on the DPs and midpipes or it will eventually melt the catalyst material.

Videos surely don't capture the differences and unless you've tried both or heard both under load in person, you won't really know. I'm sure plenty like it or can at least live with it, but it's nowhere remotely close to the tone or refinement (or legality) of keeping some kind of cats in place.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #13
-JrHatch-
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have the 335is exhaust and catless downpipes, it sounds amazing. I have had 5 different exhausts on the car and this is by far my favorite set up. Not annoying loud but still pretty loud.
      07-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #14
-JrHatch-
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Also note that the IS exhuast was louder than any aftermarket option I tried
      07-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #15
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Warm idle:

Dyno:

Hmm ok.

Altough in the videos the 335i with PE and catless downpipe sound good?

My friend told me no to do it because he did on his Cobalt but I figured it's just because his was a GM inline 4.

I'm also really looking at doing more backfires and more burples. Wouldn't having a cat remove help?
A cobalt & a BMW are two different species.

I'd put on the PE exhaust first.

Used is the way to go. I saw one for sale on this forum the other day go $800.00. I wouldn't pay more than $750.00. You can buy one brand new for $1100.00.

Note, 335is mufflers will run $450-500.00 used or around $800-50.00 brand new.

If you think you want more pop, get rid of the secondary cats and replace them with 1792 vibrant resonators.

If after that, you still want more sound, then get Catless downpipes, but remember you have up get a tune prior to installing the Catless down pipes.

So, you'll have to get new plugs, & new coils as well. If your injectors have more than 100,000 miles, you'll probably have to change those out too. Catless down pipes will blow CEL codes without a tune like MHD or Cobb. You may know about the above, but just in case you don't.

If you install high flow catted down pipes, too don't need a tune, but they will run $800 vs $350 for VRSF or something like that. Probably the cheapest Catless downpipes that are HQ would be made by MMP.

The key is to increase deep, throaty sound without increasing rasp/ drone. W/ out a resonator(s) of some sort, you will have rasp & drone. I'm not a big fan of the oem resonator on the sedan. If you have a sedan, get rid of it & put an X pipe in its place. You'll get some drone & rasp, which will force you to do the secondary cat delete & install 1792 vibrant, high flow resonators in their place.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #16
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
I have a 2011 335is and I absolutely love the stock sound it's fantastic.

Already did the exhaust valve mod to.

Now I was wondering if downpipes would make it sound louder and still with the same tone?

Or if not, what are you current setups?
Downpipes will give you a little more sound but definitely not the same tone. I liked the power and turbo whistle my downpipes provided but didn't care for the exhaust sound. Much more raspy and hollow than they sound stock. Secondary cat delete will give you slightly more sound with the same tone, and muffler delete will give you tons of noise. Performance exhaust, I believe, is a little louder than the is exhaust but sounds similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
torrque
Banned
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430, E92 M3, 335xi

Garage List
2005 Ferrari F430  [9.08]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
The best mod I made, is to remove the secondary cats. Exhaust really woke up with that.... sounds much better. Almost like a PE exhaust on cold starts.

Mine picked up power too, but that's because they were clogged.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Downpipes will give you a little more sound but definitely not the same tone. I liked the power and turbo whistle my downpipes provided but didn't care for the exhaust sound. Much more raspy and hollow than they sound stock. Secondary cat delete will give you slightly more sound with the same tone, and muffler delete will give you tons of noise. Performance exhaust, I believe, is a little louder than the is exhaust but sounds similar.
By not the same tone what do you guys mean exactly? Like I really don't want it to sound like a civic for sure
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #19
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
By not the same tone what do you guys mean exactly? Like I really don't want it to sound like a civic for sure
Catless DPs with the factory catback sounds just fine, loud without being obnoxious. I dont really give a shit about the perfect exhaust note, I'd much rather buy a aftermarket system like VRSF's and lose 50 lbs of ugly fat than overanalyze the note.
      07-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Really depends on how much volume you want.

A lot of people like the idea of a stock exhaust with catless downpipes for the sake of performance and the most quiet you can have. It's only louder at cold start and WOT with only a little bit louder everywhere else over stock.

For those that want further volume, I'd delete secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #21
RSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
More "noise" than a "note" at WOT for me, but everyone has a different idea of what sounds good to them and has different priorities, like LMB335is said. If flaming tail pipes are your priority or you have no intention of spending $900+ on high-flow catted DPs, it's a moot point. Get some catless DPs for a fraction of the price and enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
More "noise" than a "note" at WOT for me, but everyone has a different idea of what sounds good to them and has different priorities, like LMB335is said. If flaming tail pipes are your priority or you have no intention of spending $900+ on high-flow catted DPs, it's a moot point. Get some catless DPs for a fraction of the price and enjoy your car.
I mean flames would be nice but at the sime time I want my car to be a good all in one.

Alright I'll probably get some VRSF downpipes... I'll see for DIY. Worst case I'll sell them if don't sound nice.
Appreciate 0