Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS batteries expiring yet ?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #23
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
This is completely incorrect. All the 'TPMS Kit' contains is a new valve stem and seals. It is suggested to be replaced because the sensor has to be removed in most cases to remove the tire, and the old one won't necessarily seal properly again. It definitely does not include a battery.
This is not true. In most cases, the sensors do not have to be removed to remove the tire. Where did you hear this from?

You can damage the sensor using the automated bead breaker on the tire changer if you position the breaker head right by the valve stem.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #24
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
This is not true. In most cases, the sensors do not have to be removed to remove the tire. Where did you hear this from?

You can damage the sensor using the automated bead breaker on the tire changer if you position the breaker head right by the valve stem.

Gary
From every tire shop I have ever taken a TPMS-equipped car to. If YOU want to risk a $50-100 sensor to save the $5-10 that the kit costs, be my guest. Plus on most wheels if you get a flat due to a valve stem leak you run a very good risk of trashing the sensor as well, so might as well play it safe and replace those seals. How often do you take a tire off? Every 3-4 years at a minimum? Cheap insurance.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
From every tire shop I have ever taken a TPMS-equipped car to. If YOU want to risk a $50-100 sensor to save the $5-10 that the kit costs, be my guest. Plus on most wheels if you get a flat due to a valve stem leak you run a very good risk of trashing the sensor as well, so might as well play it safe and replace those seals. How often do you take a tire off? Every 3-4 years at a minimum? Cheap insurance.
Again, not true. Having a flat will not harm the sensor. You do not even need to change the seals.
      10-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Again, not true. Having a flat will not harm the sensor. You do not even need to change the seals.
Seen it happen on a Saab. Non-RFT tires, of course. Ripped the sensor right off and cracked it.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #27
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porshapower View Post
Wondering if anyone found a way to bypass it so the light goes out on the dash?? I want to go back to old school...dont need a light to tell me my tires are low...
JB4 can disable TPMS warning.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
BTe90
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi sedan

i was considering switching to non run flats. is there a way to ditch the tpms and delete any error codes as well?
      11-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #29
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post

Gary
yes, in fact I'm not sure how you would remove the sensor before dismounting the tire as the screw that holds it to the valve stem is only accessible with the tire already dismounted? Best practice w/ TPMS is to break the bead 180 degrees from the valve stem to avoid having the sensor trashed. I had a couple sensors on my car with the case cracked/corners missing presumably from this procedure (and prior to my ownership car had been maintained apparently only at BMW dealership, disappointing!)

I did have one sensor go bad after having my wheels refinished over a winter, but it was one of the ones that was damaged, so I don't know if it was the battery going dead or the sensor corroding from having the case broken.

Given the cost of mounting/balancing tires, if I have to dismount a tire that's more than 3-4 years old, I will purchase a new sensor from Tire Rack ahead of time, as replacing a single sensor later with a dealer part and paying for 1 wheel mount/balance will be about the same as all 4 from TR.

AFAIK the TMPS kit is only seals and maybe a valve core. It is only required when the valve stem is removed, but some shops may insist on replacing them when changing tires anyway again as "cheap insurance."
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #30
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sir,
You have been misinformed. If they knew that they were doing, they would never trash a sensor. It's possible, but only if you don't follow the safety precaution or they do not know where the sensor is.

The only thing the tire guy has to know is to not break the bead directly in the path of the valve stem (for bmw and lexus).

BTW, I'm not a professional, but I have dismounted four lexus wheels and did not damage the TPMS. I also replace the runflats on my 335i yesterday and didn't damage the tpms sensor. I didn't break the sensor because I knew where they are under the tire.

Also a flat will not necessarily damage a sensor. If you hit a pot hole or rock and the force of impact is right under the sensor there is a slight chance you may damage it. It's tucked well under the lip along side the rim surface. But 99% of the cases, a flat will not damage the tpms.

BTW, I do agree on one thing: if you are leaking at the valve stem then replace seal with the seal kit. But why would a valve steam leak trash your sensor?
Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 11-04-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #31
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seen it happen on a Saab. Non-RFT tires, of course. Ripped the sensor right off and cracked it.
Blame the tire guy. He should have known where the sensor is.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #32
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
yes, in fact I'm not sure how you would remove the sensor before dismounting the tire as the screw that holds it to the valve stem is only accessible with the tire already dismounted? Best practice w/ TPMS is to break the bead 180 degrees from the valve stem to avoid having the sensor trashed. I had a couple sensors on my car with the case cracked/corners missing presumably from this procedure (and prior to my ownership car had been maintained apparently only at BMW dealership, disappointing!)

I did have one sensor go bad after having my wheels refinished over a winter, but it was one of the ones that was damaged, so I don't know if it was the battery going dead or the sensor corroding from having the case broken.

Given the cost of mounting/balancing tires, if I have to dismount a tire that's more than 3-4 years old, I will purchase a new sensor from Tire Rack ahead of time, as replacing a single sensor later with a dealer part and paying for 1 wheel mount/balance will be about the same as all 4 from TR.

AFAIK the TMPS kit is only seals and maybe a valve core. It is only required when the valve stem is removed, but some shops may insist on replacing them when changing tires anyway again as "cheap insurance."
Yes I agree with all your points. Break 180 deg if you want to break in 1 spot. If you break in two spots, break at 90 deg (that's what I do).

Gary
Appreciate 0