E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Does doing your own maintenance affect any warranty?

04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Does doing your own maintenance affect any warranty?

Backstory: I'm pretty handy with cars, can do my own maintenance, build motors, auto to 5 speed, etc. I usually do the maintenance and parts replacement on my parents vehicles. I like doing it, gives me something to take my mind off of everyday stress.

So, with that said; I've got the 100k warranty -- I'm looking at doing my own maintenance for some items, let's say brakes replacement, coolant flushes, spark plugs, air filters, bushing replacement, etc.

Now my main question is: Will any of the preceding services, once performed by me instead of the dealership, VOID warranty?

What if I take my car to an independent to get my brakes changed and my caliper goes out? Will BMW (dealership) tell me that because I didn't get my brakes changed by them that I'm not able to get the car repaired via my warranty?

Apologize in advance if this has been asked or covered before!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Doing your own service will not void the warranty but if there are any issues that come up in the future that require dealer service under the warranty they will want documentation from you proving what you did and when you did it.

You need to save all receipts and keep a corresponding log of every service that you perform yourself. This should be sufficient documentation for their needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5

Read the terms of the extended warranty documentation, but my understanding is that you are not required to use BMW services, but you must follow the recommended intervals and use BMW-recommended parts, and be able to provide documentation (receipts) for the parts. Since you're doing the labor yourself you should keep a diary of all maintenance work you perform.
      04-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep

That's what I was thinking, something like a handbook with dates and services and also adding all receipts.

I use OEM parts for everything, even on my older vehicles because I hate having to use OES or aftermarket stuff for maintenance (even if its sometimes better).

I'm going to do some research and come back, I think this might help a few people here.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

If the car is under warranty why not just bring it to the dealer? ... Unless you really like doing it yourself

Doing your own maintenance will not void your warranty however if you bring the car to the dealer and they find what is wrong with the car is related to the part you changed they may question it , they may even said you did not install the part properly , etc ,etc. It just gives them an excuse to avoid warranty on the components you change or the component working with the components you changed.

You can still prove them wrong but it could be a hassle... You just need to be aware of that

You should be safe though if you know what you care doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
If the car is under warranty why not just bring it to the dealer? ... Unless you really like doing it yourself

Doing your own maintenance will not void your warranty however if you bring the car to the dealer and they find what is wrong with the car is related to the part you changed they may question it , they may even said you did not install the part properly , etc ,etc. It just gives them an excuse to avoid warranty on the components you change or the component working with the components you changed.

You can still prove them wrong but it could be a hassle... You just need to be aware of that

You should be safe though if you know what you care doing.
I wouldn't be doing water pump replacement, valve cover gasket, etc. Just basic stuff like brakes, fluids etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
You should be fine...I do the same.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Doing your own service will not void the warranty but if there are any issues that come up in the future that require dealer service under the warranty they will want documentation from you proving what you did and when you did it.

You need to save all receipts and keep a corresponding log of every service that you perform yourself. This should be sufficient documentation for their needs.
This.

I keep a log of all the service I perform in a separate Numbers spreadsheet on a per-job basis. I created a template and just fill it in with the parts I used, where I got them, and then I snap a pic of the receipt next to the odometer on the day I perform the service. It took me 5 minutes to build the template.

I sync those spreadsheets through iCloud so they are always on all my iOS devices/Macs or available through any computer with a web browser. I can get at them from anywhere I'd need to. It's simple, easy and is concrete proof if I'm asked.

DISCLAIMER: I don't normally shop at wallyworld except for the damn oil because Mobil1 is CHEAP there, and on this trip I needed a new catch pan, rubber gloves and such.

04-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmamba View Post
I wouldn't be doing water pump replacement, valve cover gasket, etc. Just basic stuff like brakes, fluids etc.
I would take it in for fluids. Since brakes are not covered under CPO who cares?
The most critical thing is fluids and having it done at the dealer is not expensive.

If under CPO most other stuff that would break is covered.
Taking it in for the oil change gives them the ability to look bfore a problem gets real big.

I would do brakes, shocks, etc., but let them handle the "wet work".
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
fluids could be a tricky thing . Again you should be ok but doing your own maintenance when you are still under warranty just gives the dealer a chance to blame you if an expensive repair comes in the future. Chances of that happening are low but you should be aware of that

Just like insurance and mods , if you were to get into an accident most insurances would pay you if it was a small claim but if there were to be big claims like someone getting injured they will look at everything to try cancel your policy
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
What you are assuming incorrectly is that the dealerships always do it right and actually inspect the car (they dont) when they do oil changes. DIY all day long.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #12
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Backstory: I'm pretty handy with cars, can do my own maintenance, build motors, auto to 5 speed, etc. I usually do the maintenance and parts replacement on my parents vehicles. I like doing it, gives me something to take my mind off of everyday stress.

So, with that said; I've got the 100k warranty -- I'm looking at doing my own maintenance for some items, let's say brakes replacement, coolant flushes, spark plugs, air filters, bushing replacement, etc.

Now my main question is: Will any of the preceding services, once performed by me instead of the dealership, VOID warranty?

What if I take my car to an independent to get my brakes changed and my caliper goes out? Will BMW (dealership) tell me that because I didn't get my brakes changed by them that I'm not able to get the car repaired via my warranty?

Apologize in advance if this has been asked or covered before!
I am the same way, it won't void it, i did prety much everything on my M3 till it hit 140k and i sold it.