E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > First time BMW buyer; torn

02-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
iamdylandixon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 03 Tiburon Gt

First time BMW buyer; torn

I’m looking into buying my first Bmw and torn on the options, I’ve been looking at either a 328i or a 330i. I’ve seen posts about how they both feel sluggish is that true? Either way I plan on modding them, if I get the 328 I would get the stage 3 intake also to help bring it up, headers, exhaust, the works. Also, what is the opinion on transmission? I can’t seem to find a manual hardly anywhere, is it worth holding out and waiting or is the automatic just as good? I originally was looking at a 335i but the reliability has kind of scared me away from them, which do you all prefer? Or any general advice about which one to buy or about these cars in general would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

a 330i, especially with the 6mt, is definitely not sluggish. Certainly faster than a 335i that's either in the shop or in limp mode.

I'm not a big fan of the LCI cars personally, and the 330i came with all the good stuff for the most part (xenons, sport suspension, logic 7 stereo, etc). But I would get a 328i 6mt over a 330i auto, you can always add the 3-stage manifold.

I would personally hold out for a manual, the autoboxes, especially the GM on the 328i, are not very good. the ZF auto on the 330i can at least be flashed..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The GM automatic is a bit of a bummer. It seems to be fairly durable, but the programming and gear spacing isn't awesome so it feels jerky. My automatic wagon had a bit of an off-idle throttle tip-in delay too, which some people say they don't have. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with mine, but at the time I just accepted it as a "shitty GM transmission". I sold it and got a manual transmission wagon. The manual got better mileage and was quicker than my automatic.

I wasn't aware that the first generation ZF transmission could be flashed BTW. I thought that was only the 6hp21 on the 335i cars. Can you do the alpina or XHP flash on a 2006 E90?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

There's no Alpina version of the N52. I don't think XHP supports it, but bimmerlabs has supported it for a long time now (via WinKFP).

I'd still get the 6mt if that's what you really want. I think given the lack of a laggy throttle on the 6mt cars, it pretty much must be the GM trans that makes it suck.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
iamdylandixon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 03 Tiburon Gt

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll try to hold out on a manual, it’s just hard cause they’re so hard to come by and I’m ready to get my hand on one and just start messing with it lol my current cars about on its last leg and I’ve been dying to do some modding lately

Another question, when I’m checking them out, do they have to have the bmw coolant in it? Should I stay away from ones that have regular coolant or can they even run off of it?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #6
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdylandixon View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I’ll try to hold out on a manual, it’s just hard cause they’re so hard to come by and I’m ready to get my hand on one and just start messing with it lol my current cars about on its last leg and I’ve been dying to do some modding lately

Another question, when I’m checking them out, do they have to have the bmw coolant in it? Should I stay away from ones that have regular coolant or can they even run off of it?
Definitely wait to find the one equipped how you want it to be. When I bought my E90, I looked around for 6 months to find one that was equipped how I wanted it. I ended up loving that car and kept it for 6 years. I'm STILL kicking myself for selling it, and I made a snap decision on the next BMW, the automatic AWD wagon I mentioned in my previous post. That one didn't last long with me.

For the coolant, I've passed on cars that didn't have the correct color. I think that it might have been hasty though. If it has green coolant in it, I think that actually might be a good sign, it indicates that the coolant has been serviced at some point, which is a good thing. The green coolant won't mess up your engine short term, its just that the blue is better. The next time you do something that requires the coolant drained, just flush the system with blue.

If you see orange or pink coolant though, run. Those are known for creating precipitates when combined with the green or blue coolants that can mess up your car.
Appreciate 0