E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intro: Bought an E90, Dear God What Have I Done (Updated)

Today, 07:14 AM   #1
Grecobeemer
Rep
Drives: BMW E46, E39 and now an E90

Intro: Bought an E90, Dear God What Have I Done (Updated)

So after owning several older BMW chassis (currently own e46 and an e39), I decided to buy an e90 project runner (sight unseen). Showed better in the pictures. After assessing it looks like it needs some work, so currently trying to weigh the costs and what I should do with it (sell and keep looking, build, fix, trade).

8/2005 325i Auto
Alpine White/Beige int base model
134k Clean Title
Overall looks straight chassis and exterior

Runs, drove it about 50 feet but doing a coolant flush before anything else

Anyway I grew up working on cars in our family’s repair/machine shop and always loved BMWs (have owned 5+), but this is the first "modern" BMW I’ve owned and wondering if I was a little too eager for a project. Limited to what I can do, so any insight/recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently located in Charlotte, NC

Thanks.

Last edited by Grecobeemer; Today at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:21 AM   #2
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

more info could help. year ? spec? options? state ? pics?

if it's a base model, grey with beige interior, automatic. bah, depends on the effort and price, but chance to let it go might be high.

however, if its a loaded 330xi manual with a optioned color, that could change.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 07:41 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Yeah OP, we need some details. Just saying it's an E90 really doesn't help. Year, miles and model i.e. 325i, 328i, 330i, 335i and is it x-drive (AWD)?

E90 post has touched every part of the E90 over the past 18 years, we can help with an assessment of your car. Pics would help too. Under the hood pics will really help.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.2716.00
      Today, 07:44 AM   #4
Grecobeemer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
more info could help. year ? spec? options? state ? pics?

if it's a base model, grey with beige interior, automatic. bah, depends on the effort and price, but chance to let it go might be high.

however, if its a loaded 330xi manual with a optioned color, that could change.
Apologies 8/2005 325i Auto Alpine White/Beige int base model (very)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:46 AM   #5
Grecobeemer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yeah OP, we need some details. Just saying it's an E90 really doesn't help. Year, miles and model i.e. 325i, 328i, 330i, 335i and is it x-drive (AWD)?

E90 post has touched every part of the E90 over the past 18 years, we can help with an assessment of your car. Pics would help too. Under the hood pics will really help.
Will try to get some after I clean it up a bit.

Last edited by Grecobeemer; Today at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:06 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecobeemer View Post
Miles?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:51 AM   #7
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Walk from that one, not worth the time or money IMO... good project car for some high school kid that wants to learn about cars.

Clean it up and detail it so it looks nice, then sell it.

If you got it for a good enough deal, you should break even. Maybe make a little something for your time. You won't get what you put into it if you do the basics like tires/brakes/battery.

Last edited by StradaRedlands; Today at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:52 AM   #8
Grecobeemer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Miles?
134kish
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:52 AM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... (currently own e46 and an e39), I decided to buy an e90 project runner (sight unseen)... looks like it needs some work... 8/2005 325i Auto... Runs, drove it about 50 feet but doing a coolant flush before anything else... I grew up working on cars in our family’s repair/machine shop and always loved BMWs (have owned 5+), but this is the first "modern" BMW I’ve owned and wondering if I was a little too eager for a project. Limited to what I can do, so any insight/recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If you already have an E46 & E39, and are now ASSESSING a 2005 E90, it's TIME to get INPA/ISTA, ProTool, or SOME BMW-Specific Scan Tool/ diagnostic Software. Even a "Base Model" 325i N52 AT has 15 or more Control Modules, beginning with DME (Engine), EGS (AT), CAS (Car Access/ Locking/ Starting), DSC (Dynamic Stability Control - ABS), etc.

Proper Scan Tool, or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) can not only tell you what Fault Codes are currently present in each module, it can SHOW you Fault HISTORY Memory ("HistorienSpeicher). You can connect to each of the "Powertrain" Modules listed above (NOT CAS) & SEE the last 10 Faults that occurred. For the last 3 instances of each of those faults, you can see the MILEAGE and other system conditions (Temp, RPM, etc.) at moment Code was saved (Freeze Frame Data). WHY GUESS?? Your vehicle contains its HISTORY. Read it.

INPA or ISTA can also show you "Live Data", or INPUTS to a Module from a Sensor, such as ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) signal/ temperature; Cam Angle (VANOS); Wheel Speed from each wheel Sensor; Climate Control Flap position, Refrigerant Pressure, Evaporator Temp, ALL for analysis of heating & cooling; etc.
It can ALSO allow you to "Activate" or "Trigger" an electrical component: Motor, Solenoid or light, such as to test Fuel Pump, Coolant Pump, VANOS Solenoid, VVT Actuator, Locking or Lighting Module OUTPUTS, etc.

If you have the "Datens/Data" files for each series (E90 uses "E89 Datens"), you can use INPA/ISTA on ALL THREE of your BMW's, assuming each has an OBD II Socket.

Hope you ALREADY know all that, but I did NOT until a few years ago. I have always maintained my own vehicles (for 60+ years ;-). I was partial to Jaguar & had 7 of them over the years, including an XJ-S V12, which I just sold (still running) 4 months ago. I avoided "Electronic Black Boxes", although I was good with regular wiring diagrams/ systems & Jaguar supplied all that in a $25 CD, along with complete Shop Manual.

So when I bought my 3/2007 Build 328xi N52K Seven years ago, I was NEW to Scan Tools, Diagnostic Software, & Electronic Control Modules (other than Engine & ABS ECU's). The "Learning Curve" is steep, there are a LOT of incorrect CONCEPTS 'out there', & it takes TIME, but if a retired Lawyer can do it, YOU CAN!!

My impressions from my own experience, and from following Forums (Jag & BMW) for 25+ years:
1) Most cars (on a Good Day) are BETTER than their Owners (at least on a Bad Day).
2) Many (50% or more?) Issues are due to "Operator Error" (Something done improperly by Owner/ Mek-nik).
3) Most Vehicles built in 90's & early 2000's SHOULD still be On-the-Road today if properly maintained. YMMV if you "Live in your car".
4) Electronic Control Modules are INTENDED to reduce mechanical component failures, such as relays, wiring faults (less "dedicated" wires), and make vehicle LESS prone to breakdown.
5) However, you need proper Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software to "Get Started" with Diagnosing the Fault, when a Fault DOES occur. You ALSO will need a $10 Multimeter & wiring diagrams (ISTA).
6) Until about a year ago, one could download INPA, E89 Datens, & ISTA FREE from MEGA. The software you NEED is still "Out There".
7) DIY is NOT for everyone. It takes time, concentration, & attention to DETAIL. It's a different skill set from "Wrench-turning", but conversely, nearly ANYONE with time & motivation CAN DIY (DIAGNOSE It Yourself).
George
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:02 AM   #10
Grease23
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Specifically, what makes this one "a project"? At this point what do you perceive as being wrong with it?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:03 AM   #11
Grecobeemer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
If you already have an E46 & E39, and are now ASSESSING a 2005 E90, it's TIME to get INPA/ISTA, ProTool, or SOME BMW-Specific Scan Tool/ diagnostic Software. Even a "Base Model" 325i N52 AT has 15 or more Control Modules, beginning with DME (Engine), EGS (AT), CAS (Car Access/ Locking/ Starting), DSC (Dynamic Stability Control - ABS), etc.

Proper Scan Tool, or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) can not only tell you what Fault Codes are currently present in each module, it can SHOW you Fault HISTORY Memory ("HistorienSpeicher). You can connect to each of the "Powertrain" Modules listed above (NOT CAS) & SEE the last 10 Faults that occurred. For the last 3 instances of each of those faults, you can see the MILEAGE and other system conditions (Temp, RPM, etc.) at moment Code was saved (Freeze Frame Data). WHY GUESS?? Your vehicle contains its HISTORY. Read it.

INPA or ISTA can also show you "Live Data", or INPUTS to a Module from a Sensor, such as ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) signal/ temperature; Cam Angle (VANOS); Wheel Speed from each wheel Sensor; Climate Control Flap position, Refrigerant Pressure, Evaporator Temp, ALL for analysis of heating & cooling; etc.
It can ALSO allow you to "Activate" or "Trigger" an electrical component: Motor, Solenoid or light, such as to test Fuel Pump, Coolant Pump, VANOS Solenoid, VVT Actuator, Locking or Lighting Module OUTPUTS, etc.

If you have the "Datens/Data" files for each series (E90 uses "E89 Datens"), you can use INPA/ISTA on ALL THREE of your BMW's, assuming each has an OBD II Socket.

Hope you ALREADY know all that, but I did NOT until a few years ago. I have always maintained my own vehicles (for 60+ years ;-). I was partial to Jaguar & had 7 of them over the years, including an XJ-S V12, which I just sold (still running) 4 months ago. I avoided "Electronic Black Boxes", although I was good with regular wiring diagrams/ systems & Jaguar supplied all that in a $25 CD, along with complete Shop Manual.

So when I bought my 3/2007 Build 328xi N52K Seven years ago, I was NEW to Scan Tools, Diagnostic Software, & Electronic Control Modules (other than Engine & ABS ECU's). The "Learning Curve" is steep, there are a LOT of incorrect CONCEPTS 'out there', & it takes TIME, but if a retired Lawyer can do it, YOU CAN!!

My impressions from my own experience, and from following Forums (Jag & BMW) for 25+ years:
1) Most cars (on a Good Day) are BETTER than their Owners (at least on a Bad Day).
2) Many (50% or more?) Issues are due to "Operator Error" (Something done improperly by Owner/ Mek-nik).
3) Most Vehicles built in 90's & early 2000's SHOULD still be On-the-Road today if properly maintained. YMMV if you "Live in your car".
4) Electronic Control Modules are INTENDED to reduce mechanical component failures, such as relays, wiring faults (less "dedicated" wires), and make vehicle LESS prone to breakdown.
5) However, you need proper Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software to "Get Started" with Diagnosing the Fault, when a Fault DOES occur. You ALSO will need a $10 Multimeter & wiring diagrams (ISTA).
6) Until about a year ago, one could download INPA, E89 Datens, & ISTA FREE from MEGA. The software you NEED is still "Out There".
7) DIY is NOT for everyone. It takes time, concentration, & attention to DETAIL. It's a different skill set from "Wrench-turning", but conversely, nearly ANYONE with time & motivation CAN DIY (DIAGNOSE It Yourself).
George
Thanks George. Yeah we had the top Snap-on diagnostic tool and Alldata. Been looking into bi-directional Obd2 scanners for scans and resets. Used a generic scanner to pull and clear codes. The idea was to do a coolant flush then run and see. Starts and runs, but needing a proper diagnostic tool.

Trying to decide if the investment is worth it at this moment. Any recommendations on laptop based software rather than buying something handheld based?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:48 AM   #12
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Any recommendations on laptop based software rather than buying something handheld based?
As gbalthrop mentioned above, INPA/ISTA is exactly that!
Appreciate 0