E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > FRM3 Resurrection Thread

08-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #111
minim
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Got the Xprog and I installed it with installing adobe, using the .reg file to mod the register and then I moved the xprog into C: drive and plugged in the module. I manually selected the win xp32bit drivers and it installed 2x drivers.

Then I opened Xprog and selected com11 and tried to do a read of a Atmel AT93C66 Serial EEprom like all the vidoes (without sound ofc..) is doing as I assumed it's reading a test ecu or smt inside the xprog. It failed and said bad conenction on pin XXXX. Is my assumption wrong so that I actually have to conenct this AT93C66 to the xprog to do the test? If so I'll just test it with the MCU but I didn't want him to drive all the way to my place just to find out that I didn't have a working install of Xprog..

Edit:
Connected the xprog and it worked at first try to read out p-data. EEPROM was corrupt so it didn't read out. Used a FRM .bin file from the first post and flashed EEPROM and p-data, did a readout and used beyond compare to compare the readout with the file I flashed and it was identical. Installed it in the car and had a few error messages but it lighted up and things started working again. I went into winkfp hit update zusb, input the VIN and flashed. Opened NCsexpert in expert mode, opened CAS to get vo/vin and hit "back" button to select NFRM and executed sg_codieren to code it with vo/vin. No errors and everything worked afterwards

Last edited by minim; 08-25-2016 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #112
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Glad you managed to recover your FRM

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #113
minim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Glad you managed to recover your FRM

It was actually not even mine but when software plays up like that I just couldn't give up and thanks to your awesome guide it was a walk in the park I did a lot of overthinking before I started.. It wasn't that complicated at all when all the bits and peaces was around and I could mess with the software/car at the same time as reading the guide.

Good stuff. Can I ask how you came up with the idea to do this and where you got the first good flash dumps? I never thought about flashing the MCU directly before I stumbled upon this thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #114
lalaura
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
xprog 5.55 china

thanks
i used xprog from http://www.obd2express.co.uk/wholesa...-box-2374.html

helped with tips here, especially @ minim, i recovered the frm also

a good topic
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #115
m3driver999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

FRM issues

Hello Fellow Web-browsers.

Last week my cluster and lighting items went haywire during cranking.
Scanned w/ Carly = FRM module failure code.

While reading thread I emailed Alex of Alpine, he replied that there is a SI B.
Which I then found his post while continuing to read.

lights on all the time, no remote, no windows, no cluster.
Typed in VIN into bmw-rp.com = VIN is covered, so far so good.
Next step, venture to dealer...fingers crossed..

Scanned with Carly =
$A3B4 CAN signal fault light system
$A3C1 FRMFA failure
$4A6E, $4A5E - Zyl 1,2 control (cyls 1,2 glowplug controller)

Took car to dealer, along with backup information of the FRM extended warranty, and I reported 3 issues - - Increased battery discharge warning after sitting - sometimes 2 days or 10 days - randomly over last few months; cluster/light issue; and new coude found

So, question, did module issue have a random draw which decayed battery; and then module finally failed; and voltage spikes during cranking where electric go haywire also affected glowplug controller.

Dealer wanted to write order as 3 separate issues, so then RO would write as 3 separate $174 diagnostic fees. I argued that they are potentially related, and therefore they should check all items under 1 fee.

Finally, RO is written for cluster/lights, and for MIL = cust declines diag.

36 hrs later, go to pick up car after getting email 'car complete'
And as expected, dealer was not able to start car. So, decided to not collect car, and keep loaner.

The frequency of needing a jump start went from 1 per 20 days; to now all the time after the FRM issue surfaced. Did the FRM finally sent the battery to its grave?

I am betting that all issues are inter-related; but having difficult time to convince dealer of that view.

BTW, called BMW customer relations, after dropping car at dealer (for $fee collection issue and the write-up of the work order - in light of that 2 years prior walked into other BMW dealer with SI B in-hand to get DDE updated for OBD issues - and left $174 poorer while paying for the diag fee with no update. 'Car doesn't need it'
BMW CR said to wait and allow dealer to give answer of estimate during call back. No call back - just the mail - 'car complete'

So this time decided to approve potential contribution of 1 x $174 fee.

Interestingly, while reading the notes on my file, this time the DDE was updated as they have to update all updatable modules when installing the new FRM. But contribution to the diagnostic was $0 as it is covered.

Next step, SVC MGR to call me in the a.m.

Any advice on how to proceed?

TIA

Thanks to this thread and all the valuable information.
Great resource to keep the 335d rolling along.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:30 AM   #116
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

I think it's fair to say dealers do not understand the technology used in these modules. Not their fault, as with the rest of the world, if something doesn't work just replace it rather than fix the problem.

They have massively overcomplicated your issues.

Without even seeing to car I would hazard a guess the battery / alternator is bad. The FRM3 is very sensitive to voltage fluctuation. Jump starting and FRM3 is common to lead to problems.

1. You should have the battery properly tested and replace it with a suitable AGM battery if not already.

Also interrogate power system for drains, grounds etc etc.

2. Glow plug controller fails all the time these cars. No big deal. Have the plugs and controller changed at the same time.

3. FRM3 needs simple repair as demonstrated by several people in this thread. Or replaced as per dealer.

With regards to your dealer. There was indeed a SIB for footwell module failure but I do not believe they are obliged to replace it free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #117
m3driver999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

FRM part 2

Hello All,

Good news and bad news,

Good news being that FRM module was replaced by dealer at no cost. And their system will also make them update any other modules to the same 'integration level' ie DDE, DSC modules.

The FRM modules warranty has been extended to 8yrs/125K miles per the SI B issued.

Bad news, is they absolutely do not recognize battery issues and glow plug controller issues could have any relation to the FRM module.

But, they will indeed diagnose all 3 issues separately at the $174 diagnostic fee per issue.

Why the random 'increase battery discharge' messages at times?
Forums searches show that this happens in new and old cars; CAN bus staying awake by module activity? This adding drain/load on battery while parked? Reducing battery life? And then finally when FRM fails, during crank, system voltage will fluctuate by large amounts - indirectly affecting other component (ie glow plug controller)

To be fair, battery had ~5 years of use - so these issues may have compounded themselves.

FRM module by BMW
Battery by me - bought dealer battery and installed myself.
(they do recommend a new one at $482 - parts and labor)
Glowplug controller by me - will buy and install.

Lessons learned : +1 data point for the 'stealership' label;dealer is profit driven; only go to dealer if not tech/wrench savvy; or car out of warranty.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #118
minim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3driver999 View Post
Hello All,

Good news and bad news,

Good news being that FRM module was replaced by dealer at no cost. And their system will also make them update any other modules to the same 'integration level' ie DDE, DSC modules.

The FRM modules warranty has been extended to 8yrs/125K miles per the SI B issued.

Bad news, is they absolutely do not recognize battery issues and glow plug controller issues could have any relation to the FRM module.

But, they will indeed diagnose all 3 issues separately at the $174 diagnostic fee per issue.

Why the random 'increase battery discharge' messages at times?
Forums searches show that this happens in new and old cars; CAN bus staying awake by module activity? This adding drain/load on battery while parked? Reducing battery life? And then finally when FRM fails, during crank, system voltage will fluctuate by large amounts - indirectly affecting other component (ie glow plug controller)

To be fair, battery had ~5 years of use - so these issues may have compounded themselves.

FRM module by BMW
Battery by me - bought dealer battery and installed myself.
(they do recommend a new one at $482 - parts and labor)
Glowplug controller by me - will buy and install.

Lessons learned : +1 data point for the 'stealership' label;dealer is profit driven; only go to dealer if not tech/wrench savvy; or car out of warranty.

Cheers,
To check your power supply issue you should do two things. Go into INPA and debug the section that has the signals between IBS battery sensor, alternator and the DME to see what is going on. Look for weird values. When doing this take your time and watch it for 20-30minutes and be sure to test it with various loads on the alternator (all lights on/radio/fan/wipers/heated seats and so on). While doing this hook up a oscilloscope and post pictures of the graphs here. This will show if you have a faulty regulator easy. I've seen a alternator/regulator that has been fine for the first 20-25min and then suddenly fail so be sure to take some time when looking at this.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #119
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 325d Touring

Sorry this might be a bit offtopic, but I'm struggling finding anybody that can help me on this one.

I have an FRM2 in my 07 E91 325d. I cannot delete the short circuit counter for the bi-xenon shutter, and thus I have no high beam. However, I can activate the highbeam shutter with Rheingold just fine.. To me that means there is no short circuit or nor broken wires. But I cannot reset the short circuit counter - it is stuck at 50. All other SC counter I can reset just fine - just not the bi-xenon shutter.

Will writing the eeprom with WiKFP (using the same ZUSB) reset the counter? Or how can I get it to reset?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #120
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
why cant you reset it?
whats the error?

Sensible_
mate, you've got mistake in first post, it should be 9S12XEQ384 not 9S12XDT384

Last edited by Levanime; 12-28-2016 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 02:19 AM   #121
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
why cant you reset it?
whats the error?
I do not get any errors, tool32 reports Success when trying to reset it - but it sticks at 50 :/
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 03:00 AM   #122
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Screenshots?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #123
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
Screenshots?
I'll get some tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:03 AM   #124
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are the screenshots:

View post on imgur.com

I have a short circuit counter of 50 on the bixenon shutter - I try to reset it with _reset_kurzschluss_sperre 0x20 - and I get an Okay back. But the counter is still at 50. :/

When I do the same for 0x12 - I also get an okay, but the counter is reset.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #125
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TB_
Here are the screenshots:

View post on imgur.com

I have a short circuit counter of 50 on the bixenon shutter - I try to reset it with _reset_kurzschluss_sperre 0x20 - and I get an Okay back. But the counter is still at 50. :/

When I do the same for 0x12 - I also get an okay, but the counter is reset.
Which FRM do you have? That command is for FRM1 I think. For later FRM use: steuern_reset_kurzschlussabschaltung
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:36 AM   #126
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Which FRM do you have? That command is for FRM1 I think. For later FRM use: steuern_reset_kurzschlussabschaltung
FRM2. (9166709) The command works for other lamps but the bixenon shutter.

I'll try the other command - but IIRC it did not work.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:48 AM   #127
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TB_
Quote:
FRM2. (9166709) The command works for other lamps but the bixenon shutter.

I'll try the other command - but IIRC it did not work.
How do you know it works on other lamps? Do you have more lamps with short circuits? The OKAY message simply means the command was sent okay, it doesn't refer to the result.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #128
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do you know it works on other lamps? Do you have more lamps with short circuits? The OKAY message simply means the command was sent okay, it doesn't refer to the result.
Yes, I had a few on "STAT_SL_BL_RECHTS_1_SHORT_CIRCUIT_COUNTER" that I managed to reset perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #129
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Woohoo I have highbeams again!

I tried to reset with the mentioned job (steuern_reset_kurzschlussabschaltung) and the same index 0x20 - but got an error. Turned out it needed the text from Lampeninfo. And BAM it reset the counter. I wonder why it worked with the other lamps and the _reset job, but not for the bixenonklappe.

..But I now have a 0 counter and highbeams again. nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #130
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Nice.

Some lamps share the same addresses in FRM87 and FRM70. You can see the code is the same if you disassemble the FRM firmware and *PRG files.

However some changed.

Anyway, it's good that it's working for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 03:24 AM   #131
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep

Funny thing - the latter function uses the string identifier from the lampentexte - the first uses the address.

Quote:
Nice.

Some lamps share the same addresses in FRM87 and FRM70. You can see the code is the same if you disassemble the FRM firmware and *PRG files.

However some changed.

Anyway, it's good that it's working for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #132
Samir75
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Hi,

I need an eeprom dump for my e90 FRM3R PL2 61 35 9390491 -01, so ZUB 9390491

thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0