E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Confusion with Paypal

01-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Confusion with Paypal

Hi,

I recently sent some goods privately to a chap in London and we agreed that he pay me via paypal gift so I don't pay on fees. I sent the goods once I received the money etc and the buyer claimed the item was broken and faulty when I took pictures and tested before and it was packaged really well so hard to believe.

he was a foreign chap and sounded pretty dodgy in the first place and because he sent me the money via gift he has claimed via paypal as unauthorised payment and he has got his money back which has left me with a minus figure and me having to pay the money back plus I have no part back!

is this always the case with Paypal? the lady said I have no protection receiving as gift but the payer does.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
Hi,

I recently sent some goods privately to a chap in London and we agreed that he pay me via paypal gift so I don't pay on fees. I sent the goods once I received the money etc and the buyer claimed the item was broken and faulty when I took pictures and tested before and it was packaged really well so hard to believe.

he was a foreign chap and sounded pretty dodgy in the first place and because he sent me the money via gift he has claimed via paypal as unauthorised payment and he has got his money back which has left me with a minus figure and me having to pay the money back plus I have no part back!

is this always the case with Paypal? the lady said I have no protection receiving as gift but the payer does.
Yep. Paypal are shit bags like this. Open a dispute, send them all communication with the buyer.

When I ran a business I used to get several cases like this per week. It's frustrating dealing with people just trying to steal from you and you know it.

I ended up blocking Paypal from taking money from my bank and cards and withdrawing money all the time. It's funny, Paypal don't like it when you call your bank and tell them their transaction is unauthorised ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

The issue is not with PayPal it is with the crook you dealt with. NEVER send or accept money as "Friends and Family" unless you actually know the person. Always use the "Goods and Services" Payment option. Yes, you have to pay the 3% PayPal fees but it's worth it to not have your money taken by a scammer. Paypal then offers buyer/seller protection as someone paid for an item or a service and was not just handed money on good faith. The same thing goes in your case. Don't blame PayPal, your unknowing of how the system worked caused you to lose out.

Sorry man, it happens to most of us at one point or another.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Yep. Paypal are shit bags like this. Open a dispute, send them all communication with the buyer.

When I ran a business I used to get several cases like this per week. It's frustrating dealing with people just trying to steal from you and you know it.

I ended up blocking Paypal from taking money from my bank and cards and withdrawing money all the time. It's funny, Paypal don't like it when you call your bank and tell them their transaction is unauthorised ;-)
all my communication was via phone call... I thought doing friends or family payment none of us are covered and they have no chance of getting money back but seems like they can and leaves the seller out of pocket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Fly View Post
The issue is not with PayPal it is with the crook you dealt with. NEVER send or accept money as "Friends and Family" unless you actually know the person. Always use the "Goods and Services" Payment option. Yes, you have to pay the 3% PayPal fees but it's worth it to not have your money taken by a scammer. Paypal then offers buyer/seller protection as someone paid for an item or a service and was not just handed money on good faith. The same thing goes in your case. Don't blame PayPal, your unknowing of how the system worked caused you to lose out.

Sorry man, it happens to most of us at one point or another.
yep your right learnt my lesson!

the buyer also sent me a picture of an item that wasn't even the same one I sent him! was probably his broken one which meant buying mine.

what happens then if I went through goods or services? I would of gave paypal the POD but the buyer would of said look what he sent me its broke etc what would happen?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

PayPal reverse the payment first and ask questions later, there are loads of PayPal scams doing the rounds and protection is nothing like the Section 75 protection you get with a credit card.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
all my communication was via phone call... I thought doing friends or family payment none of us are covered and they have no chance of getting money back but seems like they can and leaves the seller out of pocket!!

yep your right learnt my lesson!

the buyer also sent me a picture of an item that wasn't even the same one I sent him! was probably his broken one which meant buying mine.

what happens then if I went through goods or services? I would of gave paypal the POD but the buyer would of said look what he sent me its broke etc what would happen?
You would then provide your own pics and copy of the conversation. That's what I had to do when I almost got scammed a couple years ago. It's tedious but it's better than being out your money and your item. I heard horror stories just like this and ever since I always keep records of all communications and make sure buyer uses Goods and Services. If you come across anyone pushing you not to use that option... run the other way. Tell tale sign of a scammer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:50 AM   #7
Wobble
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E91 Bluewater 325d m sport

I had the same thing happen to me,I was selling a pair of mint condition folding mirrors for a 1 series,I put collection only but guy said he'd arrange and pair for courier,but then opened a dispute with his bank saying item was broke,Paypal refunded,I then complained to Paypal and showed them pics of my item & his,because I use Paypal a lot,they refunded me. I asked buyer to return item,he said he would,guess what,he never. But at least I got my money back x
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 03:15 AM   #8
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

I'm surprised so many still get people to send payments as a gift, its just asking for yourself to be scammed.
it literally takes the other party 2 or 3 clicks to get the money back

You pay the fee to make it secure, that's the whole point.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube
I'm surprised so many still get people to send payments as a gift, its just asking for yourself to be scammed.
it literally takes the other party 2 or 3 clicks to get the money back

You pay the fee to make it secure, that's the whole point.
Yup. Much safer to pay the fees. Lesson learned for anyone who doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

I, like you, thought it was safer to receive a payment for "friends and family". Annoyingly, there are those out there who will claim the transaction as unauthorised.

Google "credit card chargebacks". It's really common. I've had it happen with me before. Credit cards offer the buyer protection so if the credit card company cancel the transaction with Paypal, Paypal have no choice but to take the money back from you. Otherwise, they would be paying for the goods themselves for a transaction where they received no fees.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Think it'd shit in a jiffybag and post it to him.

You have his address after all.....
      02-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #12
bimmaguy
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 730d M Sport

Can a buyer reverse a gift payment if the amount was taken directly from their bank account or actual paypal balance?
So no credit card was used to fund it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaguy View Post
Can a buyer reverse a gift payment if the amount was taken directly from their bank account or actual paypal balance?
I think there is a "report this as unauthorised" button on Paypal when you click on an individual transaction.

I've never used it myself so I'm not sure how it works but I imagine it opens a case with Paypal.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:59 AM   #14
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaguy View Post
yes, of course they can.

Never accept gifts as payment for goods or services, unless your willing to give it away for free.

Simples!
Appreciate 0