E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Vessel: Don Juan - Voyage # ED813-DOJ - Due in San Diego on 4/23/08

04-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #111
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 MB SL63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appropriate View Post
I wonder how many drivers they have running back and forth to load up those 4-5k cars onto a ship. That job would SUCK.
Of the two years I have tracked cars, this is one of my most curious remaining questions. How do they unload 5000 cars from a ship in such a short amount of time. What is amazing, is that they do it in like half a day. How could that be humanly possible??

As we saw in the photo journal link I posted earlier today, BMW seems to drive them to the VPC. I don't know if that is still the way they do it, as that link is a couple/few years old. In LA, MB's are trucked from the ship to the VPC. A guy on one of the threads last month (who was another MB owner tracking on this forum), actually followed a truck full of MBs from the port gate, onto the freeway, off the freeway, and through traffic to the MB VPC in Carson, taking photos all along the way. LOL. It was really cool. So, now I understand the process at the port of LA.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #112
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spn View Post
Have you ever driven from Denver to LA?? If so, how long does it take?? I have never done it, but I think a truck could/would do it in 2 days and 1 night, do you think? The unloading and VPC processing only takes two days (when everything is going well), but for the trucking company to get it all together, especially if you live off the beaten path and/or your dealership isn't a high-volume dealership, it can take some time. So, a big time sink can be filling a truck to go to Denver, or Salt Lake, or Phoenix, or Seattle, or wherever. They won't send a truck on its way unless it is full. One guy on one of the threads I was on lived in a small town in central CA and it took FOREVER for him to get his car. I think it took two weeks, just because he was off the beaten path.

Just a couple months back, a BMW ship arrived at PH on a Wed and, believe or not, a guy in Seattle got his car that Saturday. I couldn't believe it! Unfortunately, he was one of those people who couldn't take delivery of his car because there was no service tech to inspect it on a Saturday. He had to wait until Monday. It was so painful for him. I told him if it were me, I would go to the dealership, ask to have access to the car, sit down in it, read his manuals, get to know all the knobs and buttons, take pictures, take all the time in the world, and he did! It wasn't a perfect situation because he couldn't drive it, but it beat sitting at home on his computer just dreaming about it. I do that anyways in my garage, whenever I bring a new car home.
Well, I did buy from the largest volume dealer in Denver,Colorado, which I imagine means the biggest volume dealer in the whole region. So hopefully that will help. I'm hoping she knows that they end up getting them pretty quick, and that's why she said one week.

I bought my first new car just a little over 10 years ago, a Chevy Cavalier Z24... and I drove that thing up and down the planet. Still down in the garage and just started leaking something for the first time in its life. I am absolutely thrilled to be getting this car... can't hardly wait. I have wanted a BMW since forever. Everyone at work just asks now where the Bimmer is every morning... they got tired of me telling them whether they asked or not.

I've never driven from LA to Denver, but I have driven from Vegas to Denver... it's about 11 hours, so I'd say 15 hours from L.A. to Denver... one day drive for a hard drivin' trucker I imagine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #113
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Everyone at work just asks now where the Bimmer is every morning... they got tired of me telling them whether they asked or not.
I completely understand. My family gets this glassy-eyed look when I start talking about my car. . . or they use to. It is to the point now that I can't even bring it up anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #114
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Still on schedule and now showing the Halifax stop complete through the WWl website... still not showing up again on the www.sailwx.info tracker...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #115
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

wow.. busy boat... They added Japan to its destination. I wonder where it would go from there? I doubt they would go down to the Indian Ocean, and around Africa back up to Europe? that seems like a long unproductive journey.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #116
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Picking up Toyotas to go back to Europe and/or the Middle East?

They wouldn't go around Africa, they'd go through the Suez probably.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #117
BruinEd03
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsport323 View Post
wow.. busy boat... They added Japan to its destination. I wonder where it would go from there? I doubt they would go down to the Indian Ocean, and around Africa back up to Europe? that seems like a long unproductive journey.
A lot of the ships hit Japan after hitting up Cali (big shipping from U.S. to Asia). From the past voyages for the Don Juan, it seems it stops being tracked after it hits Japan.
      04-11-2008, 01:37 AM   #118
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Why bother after that... all the bimmers are gone! (well, maybe not, but you catch my drift)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #119
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #120
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

They wouldn't go around Africa, they'd go through the Suez probably.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...250864321.html

Note the paragraph about the cars being bound for Germany. I bet if that ship would have reached Bremerhaven, it would have picked up BMWs and MB's bound for the US east or west coast.

Imagine 4000 cars sitting at the bottom of the ocean (even if they are Kias and Hyundais.) That is a lot of cars that went to waste.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #121
spn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just noticed that Atlantic Highway, the ship that is due into PH the same day as DJ, is full of Mitsubishis, not BMWs. So, the BMW VPC won't have as many cars to process as I thought that day. That is good news. BMWs will move through the VPC quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #122
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Woohoo!

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #123
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
I wish the sailwx tracker was working... I guess I'll register for that two week trial thing tomorrow or Sunday.

Last edited by Appropriate; 04-11-2008 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #124
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wish the sailwx tracker was working... I guess I'll register for that two week trial thing tomorrow or Sunday.
ahaha.. hardcore man!

how soon can we expect to see glimpses of the ship on its journey through the panama canal?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #125
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
4/15 or 4/16 hopefully, maybe later.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #126
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

slow
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #127
BruinEd03
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsport323 View Post
slow
That's an understatement -- I really wish they would get back on sailwx. In the previous runs there was one period where it didn't report for 1.5 days not 3 days:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=SGIX
      04-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #128
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
I think it's going to be running close enough to shore from here on out to only be visible on coastal tracking systems... sigh.

I'm just stoked that my dealer thinks I'll have the car by the end of the month. In Denver no less.

I've almost decided for sure I'm going to get the base Dinan sig. package put on with the software upload as well. Thought about having them do it right away and put it in the financing, but I think I'll drive it for a bit to see what it's like base first. That way I'll appreciate the diff. more.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #129
neenjafus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe ordered 3/14/08!

Yay! I'm on that boat!!!

I actually am buying my car from Eurotrip (the CA at Crevier)

he did charge me $200 more than I wanted to pay but I really had to get the order placed so I didn't have time to dick around about $200.

What really sealed it for me is that he'll give me a loaner for a week or so from Monday the 21st through whenever my car gets here. I've been out of town for 3 weeks and have 1 more week to go. Once I get back, I won't have a car

I also really liked his "manager's" close. When I was debating the extra $200 she said "come ooooooon" As a professional sales person, it's a close that I've never tried

So far, he's been a cool guy but I haven't given him any money yet (deposit doesn't count) so we'll see if things finish smoothly
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #130
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjafus View Post
Yay! I'm on that boat!!!

I actually am buying my car from Eurotrip (the CA at Crevier)

he did charge me $200 more than I wanted to pay but I really had to get the order placed so I didn't have time to dick around about $200.

What really sealed it for me is that he'll give me a loaner for a week or so from Monday the 21st through whenever my car gets here. I've been out of town for 3 weeks and have 1 more week to go. Once I get back, I won't have a car

I also really liked his "manager's" close. When I was debating the extra $200 she said "come ooooooon" As a professional sales person, it's a close that I've never tried

So far, he's been a cool guy but I haven't given him any money yet (deposit doesn't count) so we'll see if things finish smoothly
damn it.. lucky ... my dealer won't give me a loaner car for longer than 1-2 days...

btw, is it a he or a she?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:27 AM   #131
rdsport323
Captain
Rep

damn it! wheres our boat! not being able to track it is really starting to get on my nerves and make me more impatient... NEED updates!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #132
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spn View Post
Don Juan is now showing on the Panama Canal schedule:

http://www.boydsteamship.com/daily_traffic_report.htm

It shows "his" arrival date scheduled for 4/15 (which you already know). Usually Boyd's PanCanal schedule is correct for arrival dates. But, it also shows his canal crossing date as 4/19. And, it will take him a full day to transit the canal. Once these ships exit the canal on the Pacific side there is a six (sometimes seven) day sailing time to SoCal. I just wanted you to know that these ships usually transit the canal before the date on the Pan Canal schedule, though, so he will probably transit before the 19th and arrive in SoCal as per the PH schedule. Every once in awhile they will run a day late into PH, though.

So once he arrives at the Panama Canal, and after he unloads at Manzanillo, he will then move back out into the outer bay to wait his turn to transit the canal. These super vessels only transit beginning in the early morning hours. Specially trained PanCanal pilots will board Don Juan and stear him through the locks. They like to watch the locks and ships carefully for damages as they pass through the lock systems (super vessels take up just about every inch of lock *******, so they begin transiting during the morning to catch as much daylight as possible. If he begins the crossing at 7 am PST, he will reach the Pacific ocean just before dinnertime. It is a 51 mile journey.

So between docking in Manzanillo and waiting his turn, he will be on the Atlantic side of the canal for probably two nights. If he transits on the 17th (or earlier) he will reach SoCal on schedule.

A few days before he reaches the PanCanal I would suggest that you try to get a free subscription to aislive.com. The free subscription is only good for two weeks, so you don't want to apply, yet. Sometimes they reply back immediately that your subscription is activated, sometimes it takes a few days, and sometimes you never get a response, so that is why I suggest trying a few days before DJ is to arrive in PanCanal. And, AIS radar only works when a ship is within 50 miles of a port, so it is not useful now. But, it is fun to watch the ship transit the canal on radar, and it gives you an idea where he is in the canal to catch him on the four web cameras.

Here is the pancanal link to the web cams:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

And, I have attached a map so you understand the PanCanal system of locks. I will be following Camellia Ace and Hojin through the canal at approximately the same time as DJ.
I know... sux. I have been checking the above Panama Canal schedule though, and it hasn't changed.
Appreciate 0