E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > First Oil Change @ ?? kM?

07-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #45
Motorchoco
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
+1

BMW doesn't want their cars to last forever, because that's bad for business. I especially love how they tell us engine warm-up is not necessary. "Just redline the engine on a cold morning to warm it up!" Jk they didn't really say that, but I bet they wanted to.
BMW is not the only one who said that. Many other manufacturers and independent engineer also said extensive engine warm up (>30seconds) is not necessary if you are just driving normally.

Don't know why...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #46
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorchoco View Post
BMW is not the only one who said that. Many other manufacturers and independent engineer also said extensive engine warm up (>30seconds) is not necessary if you are just driving normally
I think the logic is that it is harder on the engine to let it idle at low RPMs for a long time than it is to just start driving, because the engine doesn't warm up very fast when the engine is at idle, so you spend a lot of time operating the engine in the cold. If you just start driving, it may initially be a little harder on the engine as it runs at higher revs, but it also warms up much faster. In essence, instead of doing a little damage for a long period of time, you do slightly more damage for a much shorter period of time.

I seem to remember reading that the drive program for the AT keeps the revs higher than normal while the engine is warming up in order to reduce the amount of time it takes to reach operating temperature.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #47
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
BMW is not the only one who said that. Many other manufacturers and independent engineer also said extensive engine warm up (>30seconds) is not necessary if you are just driving normally.

Don't know why...
For normal city driving, it's not necessary to "warm up" the engine, ie. idle for 5 minutes, before driving. Two reasons for this:

1. Modern fuel injected engines and ECU's have better control of the engine when cold.

2. Modern catalytic converters are placed right after the engine, so that they get activated and reach operating temp much sooner.

However, if you're intending to really boot it and reach redline, then you should drive moderately for at least 10 minutes or until the oil temp shows 110 degrees C.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #48
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I only put 7 to 10k a year max on my car. The once a year change is sufficient for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:46 AM   #49
visor
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
I only put 7 to 10k a year max on my car. The once a year change is sufficient for me.
Not whether the once a year oil change is sufficient, but whether the dealership will even let you do it before the OBC says it is due.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 02:03 AM   #50
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

Even though my car is leased I feel so guilty not giving my baby an oil change. I've already racked up 6000+ km's since I leased my car a few months ago and I think I might just pay for a mid km change.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #51
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Since we are on this topic...
My car just hit 1800km... should I do an oil change right after the break-in periods (2000km?) and before I try pushing the engine?

btw, try going to different dealers for service, a lot of times the previous dealer forgot to reset the oil timer and when the next dealer service your car, they give you another oil change again.
Happened to me twice on my car

Did you buy the car? Are you planning on keeping it more than 4 years? If you answered yes to these questions, you should really do a breain period oil change. And then do it again at 12,000ish kms. If you don't plan on keeping the car long, the $120 you spend in between "BMW paid" maintenance will benefit the next owner, not you.

I plan on keping my car for a while, so I am follownig the old maintenance schedules, before BMW's "free maintenance" was followed.

There are lots of reputable shops that can do the work for a little less $, and most will also recommend the old maintenance schedule.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #52
visor
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
Be sure to keep us posted! I'd be curious (and probably a little pissed off) to hear if your results differ from mine.
So, I just got an email from my SA at BJBMW reminding me to go in for my 1 yr oil change. I told him that I was only at 9400km and he says no problem, just bring it in!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #53
Carbon4
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 - 328i

T&C does do annual oil changes. I just got mine done @ 17K (actually a few weeks before my annual anniversary).

I did try to bring it in at the 6 month period and was more than willing to pay out of my pocket, however service rep told me to save my money as a) the computer indicated there was tons of life left in the oil b) in his opinion is was really unnecessary.. and he left the decision up to me if I wanted to.

So I took their advice and waited until the 1 year mark. He seemed sincere enough about it.

After all the bad rap T&C has been getting, I haven't had a problem with them at all (so far)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #54
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor View Post
Not whether the once a year oil change is sufficient, but whether the dealership will even let you do it before the OBC says it is due.
"Let you" as in covering it under the free maintainance? Or let you at all?

I can't see how they wouldn't "let you" get the oil changed more often if you were willing to pay for it yourself. Are they going to try to void the warranty for changing your oil TOO OFTEN?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #55
lay624
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i E90

hmm.. seems as tho i'll let my car be a rotten lemon.. still didn't change the oil haha.. but its a lease ,wont buy it back for sure =P
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #56
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon4 View Post
T&C does do annual oil changes. I just got mine done @ 17K (actually a few weeks before my annual anniversary).

I did try to bring it in at the 6 month period and was more than willing to pay out of my pocket, however service rep told me to save my money as a) the computer indicated there was tons of life left in the oil b) in his opinion is was really unnecessary.. and he left the decision up to me if I wanted to.

So I took their advice and waited until the 1 year mark. He seemed sincere enough about it.

After all the bad rap T&C has been getting, I haven't had a problem with them at all (so far)
That's good to know and confirms what they told me about annual oil changes when I bought my car a few months ago.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #57
yooooooo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
So, I just got an email from my SA at BJBMW reminding me to go in for my 1 yr oil change. I told him that I was only at 9400km and he says no problem, just bring it in!
awesome. i'll be going to BJ for oil changes then. i will probably be less than 10k km / yr
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #58
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

Wow...there will be lots of crappy used BMW's out there with oil changes every 20 000 k's on them. I guess the strategy of automakers of selling cars with included maintenance every year that will make cars run only for 10 years is working. With "lifetime" automatic transmission oil I guess they can't go more than that even if you do change your engine oil when you should. BMW like others are in the business in making $. With today’s advanced technology, if you will do the maintenance the old school way, cars will last 15 or 20 years. That’s not good for business. So that’s why they tell you no need to change your oil, so you can come back and buy a new car. Look in the parking lot of Mr. Transmission; some are 5 years old cars, just when this “included maintenance” were adopted by most carmakers. This is like brushing your own teeth only once a week. If they can convince you that it's ok, everyone will do it. After 20 years we'll still have perfect teeth, (fake but perfect)
      09-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #59
perfectg
I pwn u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi Q5

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
awesome, I should be expecting an email soon too then. It'll be a year in 28 days and I just hit 7500 kms.
      09-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #60
que2k
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectg View Post
awesome, I should be expecting an email soon too then. It'll be a year in 28 days and I just hit 7500 kms.

I got a letter from my sales guy about 1 month before the year was up.

Had 7800km's on the car, he said doesnt matter about what the CPU says its due for scheduled maintenance and its all covered.
      09-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #61
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
My dealer said once a year is cool regardless of what the CBS says... My moms X5 is the same deal, she only puts 12 to 14k a year and also gets the oil changed yearly no questions asked.
Appreciate 0