E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replace strut/shock mounts?

06-08-2020, 06:00 AM   #1
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Replace strut/shock mounts?

Hey everyone. Quick question: just ordered the Raceland Classic kit (plan on lowering the car about 1") and was wondering if it's necessary for me to replace the front strut and rear shock mounts. Sorry if this is a dumb question but this is my first time dealing with suspension components. Is there anything else I should replace while I'm under there? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

Yes, replace both front and rear mounts. FCP euro has a nice kit for the rear, to include the lower bushing which is a good idea.The rear will definitely show its age when you remove it.

I will say, if you are on original suspension parts up front, I would highly invest into new arms, tie rods, ball joints. You will begin to remove things and find out the OEM parts are worn out. It could cause alignment issues. If they are close to shot, they will most certainly be in the near future with lowering it.

I just replaced everything on my front end and it drives and sounds like a new car. Hitting a bump now is no where near as bad. I would cringe at pot holes/bridge gaps before. Not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittz1 View Post
Yes, replace both front and rear mounts. FCP euro has a nice kit for the rear, to include the lower bushing which is a good idea.The rear will definitely show its age when you remove it.

I will say, if you are on original suspension parts up front, I would highly invest into new arms, tie rods, ball joints. You will begin to remove things and find out the OEM parts are worn out. It could cause alignment issues. If they are close to shot, they will most certainly be in the near future with lowering it.

I just replaced everything on my front end and it drives and sounds like a new car. Hitting a bump now is no where near as bad. I would cringe at pot holes/bridge gaps before. Not anymore.
Thanks for the reply! I did order the front and rear mounts already but haven't considered the lower bushings, arms, tie rods, or ball joints. I'll have to check those out too.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbek1 View Post
Hey everyone. Quick question: just ordered the Raceland Classic kit (plan on lowering the car about 1") and was wondering if it's necessary for me to replace the front strut and rear shock mounts. Sorry if this is a dumb question but this is my first time dealing with suspension components. Is there anything else I should replace while I'm under there? Thanks in advance.
definitely buy rear upper struts mounts. Monroe makes some and sold at Pepboys for cheap...

up front, coilovers usually replace the upper strut mounts with camber plates.
Appreciate 1
tlow982185.00
      06-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
definitely buy rear upper struts mounts. Monroe makes some and sold at Pepboys for cheap...

up front, coilovers usually replace the upper strut mounts with camber plates.
Yea I thought so too but watching Raceland's install video, they say to either buy new strut mounts or compress the springs on the old struts and reuse the strut mount. I hope I understood that correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Meh, most of the ball joints and suspension arms on these cars are 200k items. Only replace the front hydraulic bushing if at or near the 100k mark.

Otherwise all new mounts and runner in the suspension will work wonders for you!
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50