E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Fluid Needed For 6MT 335xi

06-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
dablackbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi

Brake Fluid Needed For 6MT 335xi

Hello,
I'm looking to get my brake fluid flushed. My car is currently waiting on a short shifter in the shop so I thought it would be a good idea to get all fresh fluids in. So far, I'm only missing brake fluid and PS fluid. I wanted to get an idea of what kind of brake fluid would be the best for both track and street use, and how much I would need and any other hardware such as new bleeder valves and such. I wanted to know the same for the power steering fluid. (Brand/type and amount as well as hardware) The shifter is coming in Friday so I'd like to order the fluids from somewhere such as ECS Tuning or FCP Euro by tonight.

Thanks,
Z
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

You will get a million opinions on the matter, but I'll give mine since you asked.

Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600. I've used this for years in all my cars, some of which spend time on the track, and it does well and is not too absurdly expensive. I recommend the Motul Power Bleeder for doing the flush; it's easy and you don't need two people. I'm not sure how much it takes, since I always keep a big stockpile on hand...

PS Fluid: Your cap should say what it takes; I think Pentosin CHF 11S. I just use that. Instead of doing a fancy flush by removing hoses and whatnot, since the PS fluid does recirculate back to the reservoir, I just suck it out with a turkey baster and replace all the fluid with new. Do this 2 or 3 times with a few weeks in between and you will get most of the fluid. One quart/liter should be fine, I think.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
dablackbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker87 View Post
You will get a million opinions on the matter, but I'll give mine since you asked.

Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600. I've used this for years in all my cars, some of which spend time on the track, and it does well and is not too absurdly expensive. I recommend the Motul Power Bleeder for doing the flush; it's easy and you don't need two people. I'm not sure how much it takes, since I always keep a big stockpile on hand...

PS Fluid: Your cap should say what it takes; I think Pentosin CHF 11S. I just use that. Instead of doing a fancy flush by removing hoses and whatnot, since the PS fluid does recirculate back to the reservoir, I just suck it out with a turkey baster and replace all the fluid with new. Do this 2 or 3 times with a few weeks in between and you will get most of the fluid. One quart/liter should be fine, I think.
Thanks for the info. My car is in the shop as of now waiting for a part so I figured my mechanic would do it all granted I supply the parts and fluids. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I assume you search for relevant info but could not find anything because MT 335xi is some kind of “unicorn” of a car lol.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
dablackbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I assume you search for relevant info but could not find anything because MT 335xi is some kind of "unicorn" of a car lol.
No man. I'm just trying to be as specific as I can be.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker87 View Post

This.
Appreciate 0