E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: N52 Supercharged OCC Install

06-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
DIY: N52 Supercharged OCC Install

Today I hooked up the N54 BMS OCC on my N52 that is supercharged by ESS. Pretty simple.

Time: 30-45 min

Items Needed:
N54 BMS Oil Catch Can kit
Long screw driver
4 ft of 3/4 tubing
2 3/4 hose clamps
Needle nose
Allen keys for catch can mounting
Something to cut tubing

Step 1: disconnect battery
Step 2: take off all beauty covers( cabin filter, two black covers over DME and right side, and the huge black plastic cover.)
Step 3: break off clip on PCV valve and disconnect line at supercharger.
Step 4: pull out tubing( just wiggle it out)
Step 5: install catch can on support beam on right side.
Step 6: route straight tubing provided with kit from PCV to catch can. Use 3/4" hose clamp on PCV. I had to use needle nose to stretch out the tubing a little to make it slip on easier.
Step 7: route purchased 3/4 tubing from catch can to supercharger and clamp on with 3/4" hose clamp . ( I used a big screw driver through the intake slots and pushed it the way I needed it to go as I pushed it down from the back of the intake)
Step 8: verify tight connections and reinstall all covers.

If you have any questions, ask!

Attached Images

10-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
WatashiEd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdutch513 View Post
Today I hooked up the N54 BMS OCC on my N52 that is supercharged by ESS. Pretty simple.

Items Needed:
Long screw driver
4 ft of 3/4 tubing
2 3/4 hose clamps
Needle nose
Something to cut tubing

Step 2: take off all beauty covers( cabin filter, two black covers over DME and right side, and the huge black plastic cover.)
Step 6: route straight tubing provided with kit from PCV to catch can. Use 3/4" hose clamp on PCV. I had to use needle nose to stretch out the tubing a little to make it slip on easier.
Step 7: route purchased 3/4 tubing from catch can to supercharger and clamp on with 3/4" hose clamp . ( I used a big screw driver through the intake slots and pushed it the way I needed it to go as I pushed it down from the back of the intake)

Good work OP!!

Just curious to see have you seen any condensed oil/fuel/water mixture in the catch can since installed?

Reason being I have seen a lot of comments around saying that n52 is not direct injected and there is PCV system/oil separator in place so there is no real benefit of adding the OCC?

But personally I am actually keen to add one in my system too cause I am planning to go FI by end of the year too and the spending is actually small if there is real benefit to protect the system
Sapphire Black M4 | iPE - Valvetronic exhaust | VRSF 3″ catless dp | Bootmod 3 Stage 2 | OEM LED alcantara steering wheel | OEM M4 GTS CF hood | Vorsteiner GT wing | M Performance CF splitter | Vorsteiner CF front lip | M Performance CF side skirt extension | 3D CF diffuser | OEM CF mirror cap | H&R lower spring | Rays Engineering TE37 Ultra Bronze 20x10F 20x11R
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatashiEd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdutch513 View Post

Items Needed:
Long screw driver
4 ft of 3/4 tubing
2 3/4 hose clamps
Needle nose
Something to cut tubing

Good work OP!!

Just curious to see have you seen any condensed oil/fuel/water mixture in the catch can since installed?

Reason being I have seen a lot of comments around saying that n52 is not direct injected and there is PCV system/oil separator in place so there is no real benefit of adding the OCC?

But personally I am actually keen to add one in my system too cause I am planning to go FI by end of the year too and the spending is actually small if there is real benefit to protect the system
I have to empty it every 5000 miles due to the gunk in there. The reason I installed it was because I had oil dripping down my intake and coating my air filter in engine oil.
      07-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

I pulled my N52k single stage intake off and there was oil sitting inside. Fresh oil because my last oil change was only 3k miles or so. 3 stage I bought was also coated in oil. When you rev it high, extra pressure will send air back into intake to burn again (DO NOT VENT!) And it will come with oil mist. Catch can with drain will work well. Build up will depend on how often you rev it high.

I'm going to plan for a secondary can down below to fill from the drain of the first can. The way I see it, if you take corner hard or brake hard, all that oil will pour out into the intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
I pulled my N52k single stage intake off and there was oil sitting inside. Fresh oil because my last oil change was only 3k miles or so. 3 stage I bought was also coated in oil. When you rev it high, extra pressure will send air back into intake to burn again (DO NOT VENT!) And it will come with oil mist. Catch can with drain will work well. Build up will depend on how often you rev it high.

I'm going to plan for a secondary can down below to fill from the drain of the first can. The way I see it, if you take corner hard or brake hard, all that oil will pour out into the intake.
I wouldn't be terribly concerned. Have you seen an N54 intake manifold? There's a reason they have to walnut blast. Even with oil, N52 intake manifold is relatively clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I wouldn't be terribly concerned. Have you seen an N54 intake manifold? There's a reason they have to walnut blast. Even with oil, N52 intake manifold is relatively clean.
Oil gets into the DISA valves and kills the motor control.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
slowcar
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow car

how much hp/tq is this putting down?
Appreciate 0