E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

11-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #45
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

TDi sent u a pm Mark responded!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #46
scotty2hotty
Rep
Drives: 330d m sport

I didn't take any pictures but probably should have to help when explaining what I did.
I have put the pictures below that I found on another forum which is pretty much what I did.
I didn't weld any pipe inside I just welded the box back up with the catalyst still inside.
The car feels smooth throughout the revs and pulls really strong all the way through as before it felt strangled and now its as though it has been allowed to breath and feels better than it ever has
In the uk our cars have an MOT inspection every 12 months (not sure if you know) and there is a visual inspection as if the car is produced with a dpf then it must still be in place to pass the mot that's why I went down the route of just cutting it out and welding back up also it saved me probably about £300
Our vehicle tax is calculated on the emissions the car produces when manufactured and as the dpf doesn't really affect the emissions (so im led to believe) it just collects soot so I don't think it should make a difference.

yes your right it is a fiddly job as my steering rack was in the way but im not sure that makes it the wrong side?? ive always been under the impression left hand steering was the wrong side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-12165856.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-12171307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-12171311.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-13152949.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #47
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Thank you! I was really curious to see what it looked like inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #48
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Was still curious to know if you notice any droning at certain rpm's?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/droning

That large open cavity inside the DPF shell... I'd expect some type of resonance to occur somewhere in the rpm band. A similar sized cavity in the exhaust of my Cummins inline 6 cylinder diesel caused a really unpleasant drone at ~1900-2100 rpm's. Ended up replacing the high flow muffler for something else to make it go away.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #49
scotty2hotty
Rep

I cant say I have noticed any droning at all to be honest it doesn't really sound any different to me that could be because the cat is still in place I don't know but most of my driving is start stop in traffic so not really had chance to hold it at a steady rpm.
For me and my type of driving with a lot of short journeys this was a must I just don't know why I left it so long.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #50
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for that info.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #51
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I didn't take any pictures but probably should have to help when explaining what I did.
I have put the pictures below that I found on another forum which is pretty much what I did.
I didn't weld any pipe inside I just welded the box back up with the catalyst still inside.
The car feels smooth throughout the revs and pulls really strong all the way through as before it felt strangled and now its as though it has been allowed to breath and feels better than it ever has
In the uk our cars have an MOT inspection every 12 months (not sure if you know) and there is a visual inspection as if the car is produced with a dpf then it must still be in place to pass the mot that's why I went down the route of just cutting it out and welding back up also it saved me probably about £300
Our vehicle tax is calculated on the emissions the car produces when manufactured and as the dpf doesn't really affect the emissions (so im led to believe) it just collects soot so I don't think it should make a difference.

Is photo 1 of the inlet or exit? same question for photos 2 and 3

yes your right it is a fiddly job as my steering rack was in the way but im not sure that makes it the wrong side?? ive always been under the impression left hand steering was the wrong side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-12165856.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-12171307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-12171311.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0-13152949.jpg
2nd and 3rd photos show stuff inside the can. Were both of these internal solids removed. Photo 3 looks like the filter material to me. Provided that is not stainless steel, I think i would be up to cutting the casing and removing the internals and rewelding back up. I have a MIG with shield gas. My trusty ryobi (basically a dremel) would do the cutting.

Between photos 2 and 3, which is the inlet and exit end?

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-06-2013 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: added content
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #52
scotty2hotty
Rep

photo 2 is the catalyst
photo 3 is the DPF which I smashed out but I left the catalyst in and welded back up.
I think the can may actually be stainless but the turbo and exit side didn't look stainless (i could be wrong) but a mig welder would weld it back up fine as that's what I used and I have welded stainless before with a mig,
granted it may not last as long as the stainless but like I said I have welding stainless before with a mig.
I welded a stainless exhaust on a Subaru I used to have and after 4 years it was still going strong with no signs of giving up, this was plenty of time for me as I don't tend to keep cars that long and if i did im sure i could pick up a duff DPF from someone to repeat the process and it would still work out cheaper than a new DPF which would almost certainly give you problems way before then.

photo 2 where the catalyst is you can see the turbo flange which is the inlet (turbo side) and photo 3 is the exit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #53
streetos
England
Rep
Drives: 325d coupe

This is something I've been thinking of doing to my 325D for ages. Couple of questions, did you cut the can axially or radially and did you get the DPF functions mapped out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #54
scotty2hotty
Rep

I cut the can the same as in the pictures.
Yes i got the DPF functions mapped out.
Don't think about it any longer get it cut out and don't look back
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #55
streetos
England
Rep
Drives: 325d coupe

Thanks for that, scotty. As much as I would like to do it, I've never has an issue with the DPF as it is and I'm loathed to fix something that's not f*****d. Soon as I get an issue though, it's coming off for some surgery, I'm not bad with a TIG welder.
      11-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #56
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetos View Post
Thanks for that, scotty. As much as I would like to do it, I've never has an issue with the DPF as it is and I'm loathed to fix something that's not f*****d. Soon as I get an issue though, it's coming off for some surgery, I'm not bad with a TIG welder.
TIG with SS filler wire would be way better from quality weld as well as weld bead would be protected from corrosion as long as the carbon content is not above 0.04%. If DPF is OEM welded, it is probably 304L SS where L stands for low carbon content.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #57
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Found this tidbit on page 131 of the Diesel Tech Workbook doc.

In most systems, Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s) consist of a stainless steel canister that contains a honeycomb structure called a substrate or catalyst support.

So there's some indication that it's some kind of "stainless" ...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
photo 2 is the catalyst
photo 3 is the DPF which I smashed out but I left the catalyst in and welded back up.
I think the can may actually be stainless but the turbo and exit side didn't look stainless (i could be wrong) but a mig welder would weld it back up fine as that's what I used and I have welded stainless before with a mig,
granted it may not last as long as the stainless but like I said I have welding stainless before with a mig.
I welded a stainless exhaust on a Subaru I used to have and after 4 years it was still going strong with no signs of giving up, this was plenty of time for me as I don't tend to keep cars that long and if i did im sure i could pick up a duff DPF from someone to repeat the process and it would still work out cheaper than a new DPF which would almost certainly give you problems way before then.

photo 2 where the catalyst is you can see the turbo flange which is the inlet (turbo side) and photo 3 is the exit.
Thanks Scotty. That explanation makes sense too me. I watched a show called "How its made" on DFPs. It was a large one for like a semi tractor trailer type engine. The internal was the same white material. The design i saw built was like 5 or 6 or them stacked like a layered cake though. Each piece looked like a round cake layer with a 3 or 4" diameter hole in the middle. There were electrical leads running to it. That show is ultra cool. Another episode showed how our 335D engines are assembled. Google away ...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #59
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

skm32us

I think you guys thinking about dpf and egr deletes should contact skm32us on the bimmerfest e9x forum.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...086&highlight=
Seems like he's gotten things done.

Here's a summary (he's been posting for a very short time, in only two threads): "I have stated facts about my specific vehicle, the dyno tune was done by myself, a programmer friend of mine, and a very nice guy in charlotte that own a dyno shop, I wouldn't advise a person re-tune their vehicle to the level that mine is at , simply bcuz most people want to be able to keep their warrenties ect , mine is out of warrenty . I am a huge gear head to start with, and I am an auto engineer, to tinkering with vehicles is what I do anyway."
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #60
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

DHL tracking tells me my DPF has returned from its overseas trip.

No ETA yet on the US compatible downpipe...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #61
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
DHL tracking tells me my DPF has returned from its overseas trip.

No ETA yet on the US compatible downpipe...
Oh nice, when shall you car be operational do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #62
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

great news. Hopefully they offer EGR delete/reduce in the same tune
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #63
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
Oh nice, when shall you car be operational do you think?
Hoping by the weekend, as I've got a lot of driving to do around Thanksgiving celebrations and want some time to verify the vehicle doesn't have any unexpected problems/issues with all the changes.

Things have taken way longer than expected. The DPF got stuck in customs for almost a week on the way over. Ecotune was swamped and didn't get things going right away on the DPF. Had to finally ask to have the DPF sent back before they finished the downpipe as I need "something" to drive for the big miles coming up over the holidays...

I'm either going to finish the downpipe I had started before sending the DPF overseas (it won't be as pretty and optimized as the Ecotune pipe will be) or modify the internals of the canister (likely leaving the DOC and removing the DPF section). Going the DPF route will require less time working the pipe, but I'll have to wrestle that motor mount again, and that sucks. Really difficult to reach those bolts. And then there's the DPF removal once the Ecotune downpipe gets done and delivered.

Trying to finish my downpipe would mean not having to fuss with the motor mount, but more fussing around getting the stainless bungs properly placed and working with the probes. Got all the correct threading sizes for the probes, but don't have a good solution for the DEF injector (although it should be coded out). Going this route would make it a lot easier to replace the pipe with the Ecotune version when it shows up...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #64
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
great news. Hopefully they offer EGR delete/reduce in the same tune
The EGR/SCR/DPF stuff should be removed from my "off road" DDE. Haven't been able to drive the car yet to verify due to waiting for the DPF and/or downpipe to get here.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #65
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
The EGR/SCR/DPF stuff should be removed from my "off road" DDE.
ecotune? I missed mention of when/how this happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #66
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Hooper youve been asleep on us TDi has pmed me on this since I was planning in gutting out DPF and im awaiting Ecotunes pipe if cost r not expensive otherwise gutting out will be my only option RENNTECH has a DPF delete so chnces are im flying in to Lake Park anyway
Appreciate 0