E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2010 320d turbo actuator issue

03-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
2010 320d turbo actuator issue

Hello all, am hoping someone (somewhere) can help me out here. Here goes...
2010 E90 320d LCI efficient dynamics.

When I switch on the ignition (but don't start the car) I get the horrendously annoying bong & an engine icon in the little display (NOT an engine warning light as such). This cycles about twice per second, and the codes read point to a defective turbo actuator.
Starting the car it runs fine, no error UNLESS I have the pedal down fully & am at max boost, then I get one instance of the error (bong/motor control icon) per full boost.

I took the actuator out & split it open. All looks ok & the motor/worm gear moves freely. So does the arm to the turbo. When I do the same process as above with the actuator out of the car, I can see it stay in its base 4 o'clock position first of all, then when I start the car it moves to a 6 o'clock position. If I rev the car it moves about slightly, so all ok in theory.

I got the replacement actuator (6NW010099-02) from a breakers, no different.

When I set the arm in a different position& turn the ignition on, it reverts to the same 4 o'clock base position, so it must be self calibrating.

I've checked continuity of all wiring from the ECU / ground / fuse to the actuator & there's no issues.

So what next - try one of those £80 refurbers that I've seen advertised?

The car drives fine, its just that bong & error icon that make my blood boil (the bong mostly). So, any ideas - or any spare actuator lying around for me to try?!

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

The problem is not usually the actuator if youve changed that out its the physical setting of the actuator, when you change the actuator it has to be aligned to the turbo so it knows the position of the VNT and the last time I did one it had to be done by the turbo remanufacturer on their flow rig and they had a tool to set it up

The symptoms are either not enough boost or boost at idle becuase the actuator gives a false reading to the DDE and it triggers the EML and in some cases the car drives like crap

I dont think its possible in ISTA although someone may know differently you may need to find a local turbo place who have the electronic tool and pay them to set it up for you its literall a 5 min job if you have the tool. You may need to take the turbo out o have it done

We learnt from bitter experience on en E90 that blew its turbo to bits so I'd get it checked ASAP
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
ukw
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 320d eff. dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
Hello all, am hoping someone (somewhere) can help me out here. Here goes...
2010 E90 320d LCI efficient dynamics.

When I switch on the ignition (but don't start the car) I get the horrendously annoying bong & an engine icon in the little display (NOT an engine warning light as such). This cycles about twice per second, and the codes read point to a defective turbo actuator.
Starting the car it runs fine, no error UNLESS I have the pedal down fully & am at max boost, then I get one instance of the error (bong/motor control icon) per full boost.

I took the actuator out & split it open. All looks ok & the motor/worm gear moves freely. So does the arm to the turbo. When I do the same process as above with the actuator out of the car, I can see it stay in its base 4 o'clock position first of all, then when I start the car it moves to a 6 o'clock position. If I rev the car it moves about slightly, so all ok in theory.

I got the replacement actuator (6NW010099-02) from a breakers, no different.

When I set the arm in a different position& turn the ignition on, it reverts to the same 4 o'clock base position, so it must be self calibrating.

I've checked continuity of all wiring from the ECU / ground / fuse to the actuator & there's no issues.

So what next - try one of those £80 refurbers that I've seen advertised?

The car drives fine, its just that bong & error icon that make my blood boil (the bong mostly). So, any ideas - or any spare actuator lying around for me to try?!

Thanks guys
Hello,
Have you managed to fix it? I have the same problem as you.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:34 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

3 year old this topic,,maybe not even a member now..
Appreciate 0