E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #1145
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
ok ok fine I'll go do it geez calm down uncle Ken.
Don't say we don't love ya!
      04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #1146
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
If you are only using the body shell, perhaps. Even then, water seeping everywhere even between the metal folds and welds may be the start of future rusting. But hey, I am no expert.

Engine, exhaust, wire harnesses are no longer usable, or are they?
I would suspect some cars are written off with minor after damage only, so if you're planning on building a track car, most of those are going out anyway!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #1147
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Hey everyone long time no see...

Pulling out the M tomorrow and may join everyone on Saturday for this meet. Ill try to get Chip to join us also with his M5.

Nick and Jerry convinced me to sign up for some track days with BMW club at Tremblant now just need to get the BBK's I bought checked out in case the discs need changing before I install them.

Hope everyone is doing good and hope you all had a good Easter

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #1148
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

I will go to your meet for the first time.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #1149
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post

Pulling out the M tomorrow and may join everyone on Saturday for this meet. Ill try to get Chip to join us also with his M5.

Nick and Jerry convinced me to sign up for some track days with BMW club at Tremblant now just need to get the BBK's I bought checked out in case the discs need changing before I install them.

Thanks Anthony, hope you had good Easter too, go sign up for the meet and mention the number of guests coming with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I will come to the meet for the first time.
Fantastic!
      04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #1150
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
If you are only using the body shell, perhaps. Even then, water seeping everywhere even between the metal folds and welds may be the start of future rusting. But hey, I am no expert.

Engine, exhaust, wire harnesses are no longer usable, or are they?
And remember boys and girls, that was sea water ... So whatever it touched is finished.
      04-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #1151
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Dude, we moved heaven and earth to change the date of the meet so you can make it! Now, go put your name down, before you get banned

LOL!

Sure, just go add the number of guests you are bringing with you, including your better half, if you are bringing her. The more the merrier! But count only those who are definitely coming, the "maybes", tell them you can't count them unless they pick up the tab, ha ha!
got it ken... i will confirm with the guys and add them to the list later in the week

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #1152
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:

what bbk did you get ?!?

try and make it to the meet on saturday. ask nick and jerry to show up to if they can.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #1153
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red
Quote:

what bbk did you get ?!?

try and make it to the meet on saturday. ask nick and jerry to show up to if they can.
Nick is on vacation and Jerry is working at the restaurant.

Too bad the meet is not at his restaurant. Nice little drive and amazing food!

Another Brembo BBK. Amazing price but just need to get the discs checked. I may need to change the fronts.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #1154
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nick is on vacation and Jerry is working at the restaurant.

Too bad the meet is not at his restaurant. Nice little drive and amazing food!

Another Brembo BBK. Amazing price but just need to get the discs checked. I may need to change the fronts.

i wouldnt mind the drive to jerry's restaurant but i think half the peeps here wont be able to make it all the way there if we did that.

brembo discs are pretty expensive though. you should have just bought a brand new stoptech kit and call it a day. replacement parts for their kits are so much more affordable. hopefully you dont need to get the rotors replaced...maybe you can just turn/resurface the rotors?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #1155
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
i wouldnt mind the drive to jerry's restaurant but i think half the peeps here wont be able to make it all the way there if we did that.

brembo discs are pretty expensive though. you should have just bought a brand new stoptech kit and call it a day. replacement parts for their kits are so much more affordable. hopefully you dont need to get the rotors replaced...maybe you can just turn/resurface the rotors?
Speaking of BBK, here is a quick update on the Performance Friction I ran last season. 24 track days. I still have 50% of the original front pads (PF01) and 90%+ of disk remaining (some slight stress cracks). Hard to believe that with less track time my 335 would have chewed through 2 disks and 4 sets of front pads.

How do the Stoptechs stand up?
      04-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #1156
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
LOL. I hear you. I already bought a data logger this winter and Seb mounted in the dash area and wired her into the ECU.

I decided to pick it up when I got back from VIR last November. I made my best time on the first day of a 3 day event and wasn't able to better my time over the next 2 days.

Harry's laptimer gave me a virtual best lap time (virtual best lap = the best times from all the sections of the track from all your sessions) that was 3 seconds faster then my best time. So, I was either coasting, braking too early, braking too long, scrubbing in corners or not cornering at full lateral Gs. Data logger will tell it like it is and you will know. It then just boils down to training corner by corner to overcome each corner's issue.

I'm starting with the SoloDL to see what it can help me with and after that if all goes well, I'll likely get an AIM MXL to replace the Solo and BMW dash.
Joel, what was your best time at VIR?

Also, don't forget that even if you are able to reproduce the theoretical best lap, it doesn't end there, you are still able to go faster, since doing that theoretical best time will likely have variations by section, and this means you will have a new lower theoretical best time!

Improvement never ends, but agreed, it gets harder and harder to reach...
      04-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #1157
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of BBK, here is a quick update on the Performance Friction I ran last season. 24 track days. I still have 50% of the original front pads (PF01) and 90%+ of disk remaining (some slight stress cracks). Hard to believe that with less track time my 335 would have chewed through 2 disks and 4 sets of front pads.

Pretty impressive, but doesn't it help a little to have double the number of pads with those calipers?
      04-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #1158
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Pretty impressive, but doesn't it help a little to have double the number of pads with those calipers?
Single (large) pad design like the 335.
Attached Images

04-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #1159
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Single (large) pad design like the 335.
Doubly impressive then
      04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #1160
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Joel, what was your best time at VIR?

Also, don't forget that even if you are able to reproduce the theoretical best lap, it doesn't end there, you are still able to go faster, since doing that theoretical best time will likely have variations by section, and this means you will have a new lower theoretical best time!

Improvement never ends, but agreed, it gets harder and harder to reach...
You are correct Ken. My general take away was that there was easily 3 seconds on the track that I was leaving based on how I was driving. There is a theoretical best for any given car. For my M3 E46 that would be yet another 3-4 seconds or so faster again. The race analytics will help find those bad habits (not cornering at max lateral G, coasting instead of full throttle, braking to early/late etc ...)
      04-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #1161
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
You are correct Ken. My general take away was that there was easily 3 seconds on the track that I was leaving based on how I was driving. There is a theoretical best for any given car. For my M3 E46 that would be yet another 3-4 seconds or so faster again. The race analytics will help find those bad habits (not cornering at max lateral G, coasting instead of full throttle, braking to early/late etc ...)
Hey, is Harry's Lap Timer reasonably good? I was considering getting the gizmo that Chris has, but this thing is only 20 bucks and seems to be reasonably well reviewed.
      04-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #1162
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Doubly impressive then
Yup, I had to pinch myself. By mid season I was a believer. The disks and pads are double the price though, but lasting 4 times longer, so all is good.
      04-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #1163
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey, is Harry's Lap Timer reasonably good? I was considering getting the gizmo that Chris has, but this thing is only 20 bucks and seems to be reasonably well reviewed.
For a simple lap timer it is ok, but for $20 it is great. Accurate to .2 to .5 seconds over a lap. Takes videos that you can overlay with some data (calculated speed and Gs). Unless you are wired into the ecu for data, the analytics are pointless. If you plan on spending the money on an AIM Solo like Chris, you might as well spend the extra $350 & go for the Solo DL with wire harness and wire it into the ECU to capture telemetry so you can figure out what you are doing wrong. Race Studio analytics will give you a view into rpm, throttle, brake pressure, temps, individual wheel speeds, steering angle etc so that you can tell what you missed. I'd be happy to tell you about it more in person.
      04-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #1164
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
For a simple lap timer it is ok, but for $20 it is great. Accurate to .2 to .5 seconds over a lap. Takes videos that you can overlay with some data (calculated speed and Gs). Unless you are wired into the ecu for data, the analytics are pointless. If you plan on spending the money on an AIM Solo like Chris, you might as well spend the extra $350 & go for the Solo DL with wire harness and wire it into the ECU to capture telemetry so you can figure out what you are doing wrong. Race Studio analytics will give you a view into rpm, throttle, brake pressure, temps, individual wheel speeds, steering angle etc so that you can tell what you missed. I'd be happy to tell you about it more in person.
We'll chat about it Saturday. I think I am way more than happy with .5 sec precision - especially since I'm in a new car that I don't even know yet.
      04-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #1165
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:

ok, stoptechs arent going to hold up to THAT much abuse... probably would have needed a yearly replacement of the rotors if you tracked that much. the benefit is that stoptech rotors are fairly cheap compared to brembo parts. not sure how much performance friction charges for replacement rotors.

also, i dont know how you still have 50% of original track material left... those pads must be super thick from the factory.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #1166
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We'll chat about it Saturday. I think I am way more than happy with .5 sec precision - especially since I'm in a new car that I don't even know yet.
dude, if we track together, i'll loan you my lap timer for half the sessions. i dont time every session of mine. i usually time every other session....sometimes less. you can install the free software on your laptop (from their website) and download your own data onto your computer to analyze

Appreciate 0