E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Leather Cleaner Recommendation

01-30-2023, 11:27 AM   #1
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
Leather Cleaner Recommendation

I’ve been using Chemical Guys’ Leather Cleaner with their brush set, and it was able to remove most of the shininess off of the steering wheel and other surfaces. But as I put more miles on the car, it wasn’t able to completely remove all the shine, and it’s been driving me nuts.

Anyone have a recommendation on a different leather cleaner? I don’t want the strongest stuff out there since I’ve had leather dye come off before

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #2
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

These guys, http://www.leatherique.com/
Their Pristine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil are the best, I've been using those 2 items for decades.
      01-30-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
These guys, http://www.leatherique.com/
Their Pristine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil are the best, I've been using those 2 items for decades.
Thanks for the recommendation. Does the oil leave a shiny finish?

Edit: I just realized that I’m supposed to use the oil first before the cleaner. Sorry for the dumb question 😅

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Groit’s leather cleaner.

Either this one: https://www.griotsgarage.com/leather-care-16-ounces/

Or this one: https://www.griotsgarage.com/leather-3-in-1-16-ounces/
      01-30-2023, 03:13 PM   #5
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand.roh View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Does the oil leave a shiny finish?

Edit: I just realized that I’m supposed to use the oil first before the cleaner. Sorry for the dumb question 😅
If the leather is old and dirty then yes, oil first then cleaner but after you've done the initial cleaning you can just dress the leather one a year with the oil, a lot of dirt comes off with the oil by itself.
After a hour or so buff it up with a dry cloth to get the excess off.
      01-30-2023, 05:40 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'ver seen really good looking recoloring of older/classic Mercedes leather interiors with the Leatherique system.
However on my newer Mercedes the Leatherique products seem to sticky-fi the Sensatec (MB-Tex) center arm rest and I could never get it back to normal thought it didn't have the same effect on the Sensatec seats I'm not sure the Leathrique was kind to the seat stitching. But this was just my observation and maybe I did something wrong etcetera. Maybe it was skin oil and I used my armrest often so be aware. Also I wished I had just used water on my Mercedes steering wheel and not Leatherique, maybe my imagination but the Leatherique seem to change the feel of the leather steering wheel.

I think the BMW steering wheel is made to be cleaned with water. The steering wheel covering does seem to have some almost magical repair formulation. An item like a steering wheel that when the oil and abrasiveness of your skin smooth the surface that is what is meant to occur. Attempting aggressively or incorrectly to bring the steering wheel back to brand new condition I don't think is worthwhile.

No matter what the product test on the back less seen part of the item at first.

Last edited by overcoil; 01-30-2023 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 06:08 PM   #7
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Buy the colourlock kit. Has everything you need. Made my steering wheel look and feel new. Cleaner has a singe to scrub and then apply the moisturizer/ protector with the cloth they include.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 06:47 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Colourlock Mild Cleaner. Leather Protector if you want. Colourlock products will change your life.
Appreciate 3
      01-30-2023, 07:51 PM   #9
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Lexol is great and you can just pick it up at any store, it's like $8 bucks. That with a Colourlock leather brush and bottle of water to build a lather work like a charm.

Been using their products for years. Won't leave any weird scents either, car will still smell like new.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 03:43 AM   #10
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I'ver seen really good looking recoloring of older/classic Mercedes leather interiors with the Leatherique system.
However on my newer Mercedes the Leatherique products seem to sticky-fi the Sensatec (MB-Tex) center arm rest and I could never get it back to normal thought it didn't have the same effect on the Sensatec seats I'm not sure the Leathrique was kind to the seat stitching. But this was just my observation and maybe I did something wrong etcetera. Maybe it was skin oil and I used my armrest often so be aware. Also I wished I had just used water on my Mercedes steering wheel and not Leatherique, maybe my imagination but the Leatherique seem to change the feel of the leather steering wheel.

I think the BMW steering wheel is made to be cleaned with water. The steering wheel covering does seem to have some almost magical repair formulation. An item like a steering wheel that when the oil and abrasiveness of your skin smooth the surface that is what is meant to occur. Attempting aggressively or incorrectly to bring the steering wheel back to brand new condition I don't think is worthwhile.

No matter what the product test on the back less seen part of the item at first.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ll try cleaning the steering again in a warmer climate with water first before trying something else.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:44 AM   #11
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Buy the colourlock kit. Has everything you need. Made my steering wheel look and feel new. Cleaner has a singe to scrub and then apply the moisturizer/ protector with the cloth they include.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Colourlock Mild Cleaner. Leather Protector if you want. Colourlock products will change your life.
I’ve used their brush with Chemical Guys’ Leather Cleaner before and the dye had come off. It might be because the steering was already aging under California sun though.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 08:54 AM   #12
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand.roh View Post
I’ve used their brush with Chemical Guys’ Leather Cleaner before and the dye had come off. It might be because the steering was already aging under California sun though.
See this is what scares me about cleaning leather. My Audi has some odd ball type of leather/dye because of the seats I went with. My wife recently put a small tear from a buckle in the ventilated part of the seat, poor thing was crying she was so upset, she said I baby the car so much and felt horrible she ruined it. I literally wasn't even upset and told her she's the only one mad and crap happens. I can see how dry the seats are so I know that was the cause.

Anything I try seems to have a little dye come off. Jay Leno brand cleaner and conditioner seems to work the best out of all I've tried. I've just seen so many horror stories of either the dye coming off or they leave a white permanent residue. I should just pay someone to take care of it the right way and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 10:58 AM   #13
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
My buddy is a professional detailer and said ColourLock works very well on BMW. I did not have to use Cleaner in my Z4M and e93 M3 interior but the ColourLock Conditioner works great for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 11:06 AM   #14
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Big fan of both Lexol and Ammo Lather. Leatherique can be great for treatments on older leather rarely
      01-31-2023, 11:42 AM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Leather Master cleaner works well. They make it for ColourLock so it is the same stuff if you get ColourLock cleaner.
      02-01-2023, 04:43 AM   #16
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Quick update-
I pulled out my old Colourlock brush, and it worked perfect with my existing Chemical Guys’ Leather Cleaner. I guess the brushes I was using from Chemical Guys were too soft.

Steering wheel looks brand new again with a satin finish. I might pickup a Colourlock conditioner as well to preserve the look and finish.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:11 PM   #17
tbone24000
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4

I've had a lot of luck with ammo lather also. good call on the brush also.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 11:27 AM   #18
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Lexol is great and you can just pick it up at any store, it's like $8 bucks. That with a Colourlock leather brush and bottle of water to build a lather work like a charm.

Been using their products for years. Won't leave any weird scents either, car will still smell like new.
Lexol is the shit!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #19
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I've used so many leather products over the years, Leathermasters, Lexol, Leatherique, and others. I'm partial to Gyeon Q2M Leather Cleaner Strong (there is a mild version) and Q2 Leather Shield. Be advised some of these cleaner, conditioner, or coating products may change the look and/or feel of the leather. The Gyeon products I've used do not change the leather and it retains the OEM matte look/feel.

https://gyeon.co/product/leathercleaner-strong/
https://gyeon.co/product/leather-shield/
      02-09-2023, 07:04 AM   #20
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I like the chemical guys leather cleaner as well. Easy to use and leaves a uniform finish as opposed to shiny or greasy in places. I have also used Doc Bailey black leather treatment since I have black interiors in a couple of cars. It can help reduce the appearance of wear, but is not really a re-dye in that you don’t need to strip or prep other than cleaning first.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:30 PM   #21
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

something to consider is how long you go between cleaning and how soiled your leather is. If you clean your leather on a routine basis, say every month or two weeks, a mild cleaner like lexol, leathermaster soft cleaner, colourlock, all three will work fine and yield great results. If your leather is soiled, super shiney, or has visible built up dirt then something like leatherique oil is better. You can let the leatherique sit on the surface and soften the oil/dirt and easily wipe away... vs. scrubbing with a brush several times.
      02-11-2023, 05:16 PM   #22
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

I use Gyeon Interior Detailer on all my interior leather.
Appreciate 0