E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Owner Track Day @ Thermal - what to expect?

02-18-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

New Owner Track Day @ Thermal - what to expect?

Anyone here done the New Owners Track (half) Day @ Thermal? What can we expect? What do you wish you had known before you went?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 05:03 PM   #2
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

I did it a few weeks ago.

1st session: You get to (slowly) drive a X7 m50i around a short dirt loop with a few obstacles, slopes and a 18" deep muddy water pool. Try out the hill descent control. Kinda fun, novelty.

2nd session: You get to drive some BMWs around a short asphalt course that they set up (not one of the actual Thermal tracks). We drove M2comp, M4comp, X3M comp and Z4. Really fun getting to abuse these cars and go around as fast as you can.

Finally you get to go on a ride along in a M3comp with professional driver to see the real capabilities of these cars. Some drifting too.

Overall a nice perk of buying a new BMW.
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      02-23-2023, 06:57 PM   #3
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
The BMW autocross like track is fun and gives you a good sense of the cars. Be aggressive and push yourself on braking thresholds (there's room if you need it). I know when I ran it they were timing us to see who would end up with the best time. And most of all, have fun!

But if you ever have a chance to get out on the big 'members only' track, do it! It's fast and fun with a couple of challenging corners (one has an elevation change that is just enough to make you check up before you really need to).
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      02-25-2023, 06:48 PM   #4
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

OP here. Thanks all!

It was fun. We did it today... despite the SoCal blizzard this week and some rain that started up at the end of our time. I don't know that I would have paid $299 for myself or for a 3d/4th seat. It was 2 hours long (They may have moved us along quicker because of the impending rain).

This experience does not really have classroom time, and they move so quickly that if you miss an instruction (like how to turn on the cameras or height control... or how to get the z4 in gear) you have to figure it out and try to keep up.

They have radios in each car so you can hear the instructor give direction and guidance.

There were 16 of us, and they split us into 2 groups of 8 (4 pairs each).

My group did the off-road course first, and the autocross second. For the off-road, we drove X7s (two laps, switching drivers in between). There was no water feature today--possibly because it's been SO rainy this winter.

For the autocross, everyone got to take turns at 3 laps on each of the cars they had out: Z4, M2, M4, X4.

We got options for hot laps & drifting (M3) with the instructors at the end.

The guys who run it are car guys... not very smooth presenters or teachers, but once they get on the track, they do a really good job.

Again... fun. I'm not really a race/speed guy, so I probably didn't get into it as much as some would. Definitely worth going out (we live about 2:30 away) and spending the night (hotel points for a free stay). It basically cost me a tank of gas and a couple of meals out. If I lived a lot further away or had to pay for it out of pocket, personally I would likely skip it.
Appreciate 1