E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Battery clamp bolt sizes

12-31-2023, 09:50 AM   #1
hobogoat
Rep
Drives: 330i E92

Battery clamp bolt sizes

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the length, diameter and pitch of the bolts used for the battery top clamp and end clamp for the battery situated in the boot of the E92/E90?

Seems that someone decided to throw the clamps and the bolts away on the E92 that I've bought so I have to replace the lot because surely an easily movable battery will be an MOT failure.

The clamps/brackets are not big cost items but it looks like people sell them without bolts.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:45 AM   #2
hobogoat
Rep

For the record I eventually found that this is the answer

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

..probably for most questions like this one
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 04:24 AM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobogoat View Post
For the record I eventually found that this is the answer

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

..probably for most questions like this one
You're absolutely right there!

From memory the bolt is M6x1.0 thread, but it's weird because the bolt itself is long but the thread is short...like the head of it is up on a stalk. Maybe I'm talking nonsense there - it's been a while since I was in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:01 AM   #4
hobogoat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
You're absolutely right there!

From memory the bolt is M6x1.0 thread, but it's weird because the bolt itself is long but the thread is short...like the head of it is up on a stalk. Maybe I'm talking nonsense there - it's been a while since I was in there.
Thanks for replying dude, it felt like I'd been excommunicated and was I talking to myself there for a while

I think you're spot on for the battery hold down clamp bolt (the clamp that clamps the battery to the boot floor at the battery bottom edge) - the original OEM bolt for this appears to be an odd looking stalk thing with a short thread at it's end but I'm sure that using a regular short bolt will be fine.

Think I just need to visit the local hardware shop to buy a handful of one off metric bolts to see what fits best.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:13 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

From realoem it looks like they had the weird long bolt (190mm!) on pre-lci only. After that it was M6x26.5mm... which is an odd length. I'm sure M6x25mm would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 07:52 AM   #6
hobogoat
Rep

So after all that a replacement battery hold down clamp eventually turned up and it came with an M6 bolt which did indeed measure about 25mm in length. It was a breaker yard clamp and the bolt was a bit rusty .. 15p sorted a new one
Appreciate 0