E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > How long have you had your engine tick?

10-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #23
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Thillman View Post
I've been using Castrol Euro formula 0w-40 and my engine has always remained quite and smooth at any rpm. Pretty sure it's discontinued now though so it's really cheap if you do find it. Going to try out new liqui moly next.
engine tick is a fucking curse. when you have it, youll do anything to get rid of it.

i wish my engine was always smooth
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #24
aholst048
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
engine tick is a fucking curse. when you have it, youll do anything to get rid of it.

i wish my engine was always smooth
Once it's there, time for lifters, rollers, and a gasket (though honestly, by the time you need them, your valve cover will be leaking anyways haha). Attached is a photo of what you'll need minus valve cover gasket/adjuster motor gasket/eccentric shaft sensor gasket (recommend not using Victor Reinz, they don't fit correctly)

Oh, and a timing tool kit so you can lock the crank down while you take out the exhaust cam. ~$100 on amazon.

I should also add that you only need to replace your EXHAUST lifters. The intake lifters are under constant tension and can NOT tick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #25
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

They're the same lifter? How are they not under tension? The main rockers are the same as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #26
porsche959
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholst048 View Post
Once it's there, time for lifters, rollers, and a gasket (though honestly, by the time you need them, your valve cover will be leaking anyways haha). Attached is a photo of what you'll need minus valve cover gasket/adjuster motor gasket/eccentric shaft sensor gasket (recommend not using Victor Reinz, they don't fit correctly)

Oh, and a timing tool kit so you can lock the crank down while you take out the exhaust cam. ~$100 on amazon.

I should also add that you only need to replace your EXHAUST lifters. The intake lifters are under constant tension and can NOT tick.
would you need to order a new exhaust cam and bearings?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #27
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I imagine that's all going to depend on your particular motor and it's tolerances.

I know that mobil 1 is no longer LL-01 approved, but whatever. I only run 5K mile OCIs anyway, so it's fine.
I guess just try some different stuff until you find something your motor likes. I know lots of people have had great like with rotella, and it's all I ran i njeeps for years, but it just didn't work for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #28
porsche959
Banned
Rep

another update:

fresh oil change.

put in 1 quart of marvel mystery oil, 6 quarts of rotella t6 5w-40

no change - fckin tick tick tick tick
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #29
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I imagine that's all going to depend on your particular motor and it's tolerances.

I know that mobil 1 is no longer LL-01 approved, but whatever. I only run 5K mile OCIs anyway, so it's fine.
I guess just try some different stuff until you find something your motor likes. I know lots of people have had great like with rotella, and it's all I ran i njeeps for years, but it just didn't work for me.
I still run Mobil 1 based on the CBS (or about 1 year, whichever comes first). it's fine. Honestly, they probably didn't change anything at all - but didn't want to pay whatever BMW's fee was to be 'certified'.

the only time I ever heard a tick was when I first did the MILVS installation, and of course I had a lot of the valvetrain in pieces. Haven't heard it since.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #30
aholst048
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
They're the same lifter? How are they not under tension? The main rockers are the same as well.
All 24 lifters are the same, the Valvetronic on the intake cam is putting constant tension on the intake lifters so they can't tick even if they wanted to. The exhaust cam on the N51/52 is just a standard cam setup so those are the ones that tick.

Quote:
would you need to order a new exhaust cam and bearings?
Nope! Just lifters, rocker arm/rollers, and the gaskets you've removed.

I've attached the PDF with the TSB (head replacement hasn't been their recommendation since the TSB was updated in 2012)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 115162.pdf (182.2 KB, 467 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #31
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I still run Mobil 1 based on the CBS (or about 1 year, whichever comes first). it's fine. Honestly, they probably didn't change anything at all - but didn't want to pay whatever BMW's fee was to be 'certified'.

the only time I ever heard a tick was when I first did the MILVS installation, and of course I had a lot of the valvetrain in pieces. Haven't heard it since.
I would run it out to the CBS minder, but after 5 or 6K my lifter tick comes back and annoys the shit out of me.

an oil/filter change and it's quiet again.

I know right?

I saw on BITOG that mobil stated the formulation is still fine for the older engines, but failed the new turbo N stuff, and they apparently weren't super interested in changing the oil to meet the new requirements.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #32
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All 24 lifters are the same, the Valvetronic on the intake cam is putting constant tension on the intake lifters so they can't tick even if they wanted to. The exhaust cam on the N51/52 is just a standard cam setup so those are the ones that tick.

Nope! Just lifters, rocker arm/rollers, and the gaskets you've removed.

I've attached the PDF with the TSB (head replacement hasn't been their recommendation since the TSB was updated in 2012)
I'm sorry but I'm not following you at all.

The lifters tick due to air in the lifters. That's a fault of the head design (whether it's only the exhaust side I'm not disputing). Newer lifters might be less prone to getting air in them, but regardless of Valvetronic, both the intake and exhaust lifters are tensioned in exactly the same way. Without any oil pressure, when the cam lobes are not pushing on them - they are collapsed. When the engine builds up pressure, they pump up again. I'm not sure why you think the intake cam 'tensions' them differently.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #33
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I would run it out to the CBS minder, but after 5 or 6K my lifter tick comes back and annoys the shit out of me.

an oil/filter change and it's quiet again.

I know right?

I saw on BITOG that mobil stated the formulation is still fine for the older engines, but failed the new turbo N stuff, and they apparently weren't super interested in changing the oil to meet the new requirements.
yeah, i would do it early if mine ticked too, especially if fresh oil quiets it down again.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #34
porsche959
Banned
Rep

Ok guys not sure what happened but, I let the sit for 2 days and started her up. Ticking sound is 80% gone. Wow - mmo and rotella t6 works..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #35
aholst048
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm not following you at all.

The lifters tick due to air in the lifters. That's a fault of the head design (whether it's only the exhaust side I'm not disputing). Newer lifters might be less prone to getting air in them, but regardless of Valvetronic, both the intake and exhaust lifters are tensioned in exactly the same way. Without any oil pressure, when the cam lobes are not pushing on them - they are collapsed. When the engine builds up pressure, they pump up again. I'm not sure why you think the intake cam 'tensions' them differently.
The Valvetronic assembly on the intake cam is under tension via a spring assembly. That spring assembly paired with the different roller/rocker arm setup means that the intake lifters don't suffer from the problem the exhaust lifters do as that assembly has constant force on them. The exhaust lifters have smaller, weaker lifters, and only run off the pressure from the camshaft without any added pressure/lift from a separate system. The original lifters & roller/rocker arm design was not correct for the N52 at the end of the day, and required re-engineering to prevent the lifters from failing (yes, not being able to bleeding them constitutes a failure)

The only other possible cause of lifter tick on the N52 is worm camshaft bearing ledges causing inadequate oil pressure in that area of the head (which affect pressure at the lifters).

Quote:
Ok guys not sure what happened but, I let the sit for 2 days and started her up. Ticking sound is 80% gone. Wow - mmo and rotella t6 works..
I hate the burst your bubble, it's just band-aiding the problem. Your problem still exists.

I don't want to be a jerk, but I've spent years working on these motors, and replacement of lifters & rollers/rocker arms have been the only 100% permanent fix (outside of the more rare camshaft bearing failures that have been SO bad to cause it)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #36
porsche959
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The Valvetronic assembly on the intake cam is under tension via a spring assembly. That spring assembly paired with the different roller/rocker arm setup means that the intake lifters don't suffer from the problem the exhaust lifters do as that assembly has constant force on them. The exhaust lifters have smaller, weaker lifters, and only run off the pressure from the camshaft without any added pressure/lift from a separate system. The original lifters & roller/rocker arm design was not correct for the N52 at the end of the day, and required re-engineering to prevent the lifters from failing (yes, not being able to bleeding them constitutes a failure)

The only other possible cause of lifter tick on the N52 is worm camshaft bearing ledges causing inadequate oil pressure in that area of the head (which affect pressure at the lifters).

I hate the burst your bubble, it's just band-aiding the problem. Your problem still exists.

I don't want to be a jerk, but I've spent years working on these motors, and replacement of lifters & rollers/rocker arms have been the only 100% permanent fix (outside of the more rare camshaft bearing failures that have been SO bad to cause it)

Appreciate the info. Do you know if this could cause engine failure? Or is it just a minor annoyance?

At this point it’s about return on investment - I’d rather spend $60 on new oil to reduce 80% of the noise versus several hundred (if not a few thousand) to eliminate the noise completely.

I think most people that own an e90 are in the same boat, these cars aren’t that expensive, so it doesn’t really make sense to spend that kind of $$$ if the ticking doesn’t kill the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #37
aholst048
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the info. Do you know if this could cause engine failure? Or is it just a minor annoyance?

At this point it’s about return on investment - I’d rather spend $60 on new oil to reduce 80% of the noise versus several hundred (if not a few thousand) to eliminate the noise completely.

I think most people that own an e90 are in the same boat, these cars aren’t that expensive, so it doesn’t really make sense to spend that kind of $$$ if the ticking doesn’t kill the engine.
As far as I've seen, just an annoyance. But depending on how bad it is, your resale value will be down the drain. The E90/1/2/3 market here in Portland is pretty strong (want a good one? $8-10k min), but I've seen "mechanic specials" with top end tick for $2-3k when otherwise perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #38
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I've got two N52s; one we've owned since new (ordered it, E90 330i), and the other one bought used almost 3 years ago (E91).

The 330i has been perfect since new, engine-wise. Always has had 7k or less oil change intervals, etc. I have used Mobil 1 0W40 in it since it left free maintenance period (during the free period, did the inter interval oil change with BMW 5W30). No noise, no tick, etc, at 157k miles now.

The E91 was quiet for the first 18 months or so after purchase, then it started ticking during cold months of the year on start-up and for a short while after. Now it's starting ticking this year with 60F weather, and it doesn't go away as quickly. I was initially using M1 0W40, but at last oil change about 6 months ago switched to T6 5W40 hoping to help the tick. No luck. Car has 128k miles on it.

From all the research I've done, it's simply an auditory annoyance, but I've had one guy in a parking lot try to tell me my engine was about to fail, lol.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #39
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

maybe the slushboxes are more prone since they aren't really well suited to the higher RPMs like the 6mt?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:56 AM   #40
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
maybe the slushboxes are more prone since they aren't really well suited to the higher RPMs like the 6mt?
I could certainly see this. Damn auto box is constantly seeing how fast it can keep you at 1500rpm
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 05:05 AM   #41
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I could certainly see this. Damn auto box is constantly seeing how fast it can keep you at 1500rpm
No kidding. It's #1 goal is to get to 6th gear as fast as possible and hopefully never come out of it. On a 2007 it is pretty awful to experience this slushbox and its programming. I did drive the E91 yesterday, and it started up with the ticking, and (as usual) after it was fully warmed up, I ran it hard up through 1, 2, 3, and then cruised along in 3rd between 5-6k for a few minutes. Tick gone for the rest of the day. It'll be back of course.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
tlow982171.50
      10-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #42
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
not if you got that paddle life.

mine sees a regular 4-7K RPM sustained usage.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #43
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'd be pretty annoyed with an "auto" trans that has to be shifted manually.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #44
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

compromises are made for that e91 love.
Appreciate 0